OT: 2021 Football Thread: Mock Draft SZN

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Hockenson is not a bust. He just had a QB that threw more on the outside in Stafford.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The funny thing is, the trade down to 4 isn't a bad idea. I would probably sign off on that, but I would try to grab an extra 3, or turn the 22 2nd into a 1.

No it's not at all a bad idea. If you've decided you're not taking a QB - I'm totally fine with trading down to 4-8.

They could trade down, take a WR. End up with 3 picks 23-40 and go OL/EDGE.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
No it's not at all a bad idea. If you've decided you're not taking a QB - I'm totally fine with trading down to 4-8.

They could trade down, take a WR. End up with 3 picks 23-40 and go OL/EDGE.

It's alot of options.

Trade down again and get more picks from 4.

Could pump fake Atlanta and Fields is the target all along (I hope not).

Take Sewell at 4.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
never said any of them are busts. Message was completely different.

Well other than Hunter Henry pretty much everyone on that list of yours has been pretty much a bust. But I hear ya and I know exactly what you were saying and I agreed with it. Just thought Hock's name was out of place there...that's all. All good bud.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Not a fan of taking Pitts at 4. Too many needs for this team to take a TE, no matter how good he is, at that spot.

I do not mind the trade down tho, but only getting two 2nds to move down 2 spots? We gave up 3 2nds to move up 3 spots to take Darnold. I would want more from Atlanta to facilitate that trade. I don't think the valuation from 4 to 2 is that different from 6 to 3. Another asset needs to be in that deal for it to make sense to me.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Watson tweet

"Loyalty is everything. Don't you EVER forget it"

lol - once rich, these athletes really do try to pass on arrogance as if they're preaching intelligence. Nevermind the hypocrisy.

Reactions: McD37

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It's alot of options.

Trade down again and get more picks from 4.

Could pump fake Atlanta and Fields is the target all along (I hope not).

Take Sewell at 4.

would LOVE to still get Sewell and some extra swag, but how can that go?

Lawrence at 1, given
we flip w/Atlanta for 4+, they take what, Wilson at 2?
then either
Dolphins at 3 = take Sewell
or
trade 3OA + for Watson... who does Houston take def if not Sewell?

too much risk

take the likely Munoz-Ogden sure thing

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
would LOVE to still get Sewell and some extra swag, but how can that go?

Lawrence at 1, given
we flip w/Atlanta for 4+, they take what, Wilson at 2?
then either
Dolphins at 3 = take Sewell
or
trade 3OA + for Watson... who does Houston take def if not Sewell?

too much risk

take the likely Munoz-Ogden sure thing

1. Miami is NOT 100% on Sewell. Chase or Smith is a very big option if they remained on 3.... Which goes to....

2. Miami is as big a trade target to move up teams for a QB as 2 and the Jets.

3. Miami may get Watson with the 3 pick anyway. Houston will take a QB on a reset unless they are PRO-Tua, which I've read nothing about.

4. Sewell is NOT, not even remotely close to Munoz, Ogden, Orlando Pace, etc.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Not a fan of taking Pitts at 4. Too many needs for this team to take a TE, no matter how good he is, at that spot.

I do not mind the trade down tho, but only getting two 2nds to move down 2 spots? We gave up 3 2nds to move up 3 spots to take Darnold. I would want more from Atlanta to facilitate that trade. I don't think the valuation from 4 to 2 is that different from 6 to 3. Another asset needs to be in that deal for it to make sense to me.

I don't view Pitts as a TE.

Pitts is going to play as a WR.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
1. Miami is NOT 100% on Sewell. Chase or Smith is a very big option if they remained on 3.... Which goes to....

2. Miami is as big a trade target to move up teams for a QB as 2 and the Jets.

3. Miami may get Watson with the 3 pick anyway. Houston will take a QB on a reset unless they are PRO-Tua, which I've read nothing about.

4. Sewell is NOT, not even remotely close to Munoz, Ogden, Orlando Pace, etc.

disagree on 1 and 4
2/3 are plausible, but unless too much on the table they take Sewell.
I agree showing an open mind it is possible for there to be too much on the table for them for the pick in a vacuum

I disagree Jets have any better pick than Sewell.
The next QB after Lawrence, Wilson, could turn out to be better but he could also be a relative bust [moderately successful only].

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Walter football:

ranking for OLs
WalterFootball.com: 2021 NFL Draft: OT Rankings

noticed slater is also possible G or even C

take Sewell, try to trade SEA 1st + one deal, Darnold + another, try to move up, get this Slater for C, maybe even another guy to add to Becton

sign best possible ufa QB, avoid big $ for Darnold in a yr

Get the entire OL straightened out in one fell swoop

btw, disagree w/his projection we take fields at 2.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I don't view Pitts as a TE.

Pitts is going to play as a WR.

that’s a red flag for me. Based on his size, blocking, etc he’s kinda a hybrid.

Kind of a TE and kind of a WR, Great versatility and a matchup nightmare . . . and sometimes ends up a guy without a position on the fball field.

Reactions: SRHRangers

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
that’s a red flag for me. Based on his size, blocking, etc he’s kinda a hybrid.

Kind of a TE and kind of a WR, Great versatility and a matchup nightmare . . . and sometimes ends up a guy without a position on the fball field.

I agree with that. I want my TE also to be able to block.

@bernmeister

Yes. Slater is more versatile than Sewell as he can play all 5 positions, but he will be put on the outside because he has flawless technique.

Sewell, as a value as what the 2 pick is this year, with all the QB, and the movement of starting QBs, is a complete waste of the value.

You have teams that will be jumping for a QB (Atlanta, Philly, Carolina, Denver) and Sewell is not the consensus top OL in the draft. Some do have Slater over Sewell, including Jeremiah.

So again.... Would you rather have....

Sewell.

Or.

Slater (say trade down from Denver at 9), their 2nd rounder (Wyatt Davis?)

And their 2022 1 and 2, in a draft where there will actually be a real combine and process, where it will be much less of a crapshoot?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Watson tweet

"Loyalty is everything. Don't you EVER forget it"

lol - once rich, these athletes really do try to pass on arrogance as if they're preaching intelligence. Nevermind the hypocrisy.
@deshaunwatson
Loyalty is everything. Don't you EVER forget it.

@DanGrazianoESPN
Feb 25
Per sources, Texans QB Deshaun Watson met with new Texans head coach David Culley last Friday. In that meeting Watson reiterated that he wants to be traded and told Culley he has no intention of playing for the Texans again. No change from Watson's end. He remains dug in.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
@deshaunwatson
Loyalty is everything. Don't you EVER forget it.

@DanGrazianoESPN
Feb 25
Per sources, Texans QB Deshaun Watson met with new Texans head coach David Culley last Friday. In that meeting Watson reiterated that he wants to be traded and told Culley he has no intention of playing for the Texans again. No change from Watson's end. He remains dug in.

It's so damn tempting to make a run for Watson...he's so damn good.

But Jets have so many needs and would have to give up so much, it pretty much definitely wouldn't be worth it.

The idea of Watson as Jets QB is just such a tease...ugh!!

Reactions: bernmeister

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
It's so damn tempting to make a run for Watson...he's so damn good.

But Jets have so many needs and would have to give up so much, it pretty much definitely wouldn't be worth it.

The idea of Watson as Jets QB is just such a tease...ugh!!

with as little talent as the Jets have, he led the Texans to only 4 wins.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I agree with that. I want my TE also to be able to block.

@bernmeister

Yes. Slater is more versatile than Sewell as he can play all 5 positions, but he will be put on the outside because he has flawless technique.

Sewell, as a value as what the 2 pick is this year, with all the QB, and the movement of starting QBs, is a complete waste of the value.

You have teams that will be jumping for a QB (Atlanta, Philly, Carolina, Denver) and Sewell is not the consensus top OL in the draft. Some do have Slater over Sewell, including Jeremiah.

So again.... Would you rather have....

Sewell.

Or.

Slater (say trade down from Denver at 9), their 2nd rounder (Wyatt Davis?)

And their 2022 1 and 2, in a draft where there will actually be a real combine and process, where it will be much less of a crapshoot?

We disagree on fundamental assumptions.

Sure, Zack could be the better pick; while not likely he could even be the best QB.
But there IS risk he could be more Todd Blackledge than Mahomes.

Conversely, other Ts are close, but Sewell IMO is likely another Ogden/Munoz.

Continue to maintain my position on record above.

Want to see about packaging other + future picks to add/move up now, but not 2OA.

don't trust Dolphins don't take him at 3 tho there is a chance, a small chance they go WR.

Only scenario I see that works is if Dolphins get the star QB from Houston, and we go 2OA to ATL for 4OA +, and then, Houston needing a QB, offer Darnold + 4OA for 3OA + a later pick, which is reasonable to gamble on Sam's last cheap yr.

That nets us 3OA but able to get Sewell, plus extra picks, at cost of 2OA and Darnold.

We just take best option at QB for stopgap project until someone we like turns up.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
One thing I hate most about football is the draft is like 4 months after the superbowl. Soo much time with nothing happening . At least with hockey you have the Cup in mid June, draft a couple weeks later, then free agency July 1. Then you only have the July/August dead zone and then stuff starts to pick up again

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Vacchiano got the right idea, although I hold out for 21 2nd rounder instead of the 3rd-4th.

Jets three-round 2021 NFL Mock Draft 3.0: Gang Green pulls off blockbuster trade

I looked at it and nom NO horrible.
Not good value
selections sucked

If we can figure out what Miami is doing/if they trade w/Houston,
then
we do 2OA for 4OA ++
and we do Darnold + 4OA for 3OA

grab Sewell
then we look at 4OA w/either
- trade for value if we don't go too far [w'in top 10] for extra picks
- look at OL for another T but possible interior if we keep Becton at T, maybe slater for C
- maybe if CB is outstanding we consider it

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
I looked at it and nom NO horrible.
Not good value
selections sucked

If we can figure out what Miami is doing/if they trade w/Houston,
then
we do 2OA for 4OA ++
and we do Darnold + 4OA for 3OA

grab Sewell
then we look at 4OA w/either
- trade for value if we don't go too far [w'in top 10] for extra picks
- look at OL for another T but possible interior if we keep Becton at T, maybe slater for C
- maybe if CB is outstanding we consider it

Totally disagree.

Getting Phillips at 34 is value considering he has been projected at 23.

Humphrey is the best C in the draft.

I understand the Waddle pick whether if I agree with it or not. Jets have zero speed and he's a flat out burner.

If the Jets went this route, I would expect them to go after Joe Thuney in free agency then for Guard.

I would just hold out for an extra 2 instead of the 3 and 4 in this draft.

That's 4 starters with one pick over the next 2 years, and that Carolina 1 in 2022 would be spicy. Could easily be another top 10.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
The Jets are in the Giants position from a few years ago. They essentially control the draft. If they don’t like any of these QB’s they should absolutely trade back and get a huge return. I love Barkley, but it’s exactly what I wish the Giants did.

You can draft all the QB’s you want, but if the team around them stinks it won’t matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad