OT: 2021 Football Thread: Mock Draft SZN

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
i think Lawrence is the only safe QB choice. Zach will probably be good yet after watching things not work out for Darnold so far and Rosen literally falling off the map you never know.

I just want the most profitable return for us given we need a lot, but I don't think maxing # of picks --- which is fine --- then apply them on selections which are less and less of a sure thing is smart, esp w/our highest acquisition capital [picks we own and assets available for trade].

We need to hit, not miss on our top selections.
A great QB can still be undone by a horrible line --- which is us, besides Becton.

An adequate/+ guy can be functional/+ within a great line, and then you just upgrade him when opportunity presents.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I just want the most profitable return for us given we need a lot, but I don't think maxing # of picks --- which is fine --- then apply them on selections which are less and less of a sure thing is smart, esp w/our highest acquisition capital [picks we own and assets available for trade].

We need to hit, not miss on our top selections.
A great QB can still be undone by a horrible line --- which is us, besides Becton.

An adequate/+ guy can be functional/+ within a great line, and then you just upgrade him when opportunity presents.

Obviously you want Sewell who will likely be good. Maximizing the picks, imo, really only works if you land that #1 next year. I don’t think trading back and log jamming all the picks into this season makes sense (not that you proposed this).

I think the Jets are in a really good spot with this Covid cap likely flooding the market with good players. The Jets could sign multiple medium term players for less or outbid other teams. The whole thing comes down to the QB though. I would keep Darnold.

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Obviously you want Sewell who will likely be good. Maximizing the picks, imo, really only works if you land that #1 next year. I don’t think trading back and log jamming all the picks into this season makes sense (not that you proposed this).

I think the Jets are in a really good spot with this Covid cap likely flooding the market with good players. The Jets could sign multiple medium term players for less or outbid other teams. The whole thing comes down to the QB though. I would keep Darnold.

Keeping Darnold is a legit option.
I respected his tools tho I wanted the guy who eventually went to BUF.
Still, it boils down to best percentages, and our OL is so pisspoor, signif upgrade there is needed immediately regardless of who signal caller is, getting Becton help is key to complete offense overhaul -- QB, RBs, TE WR production.
And the more our O forces the issue w/time of possession, the fresher our D is.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I really don’t like keeping Darnold. I understand the unknown of drafting a QB, and the value at 2 if you trade it. But I really just don’t see it with Darnold.

it’s funny to listen to a lot of experts talk about the QB draft class. Fields is a guy everyone’s saying has trouble toggling his options. He is first option or bust. That’s Darnold - 3 years into the league. He doesn’t see the field beyond his first choice. Misses wide open receivers. Just doesn’t see them. If people are hammering Fields for this, how does Darnold get a pass for this 3 full years into the pros.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
it’s funny to listen to a lot of experts talk about the QB draft class. Fields is a guy everyone’s saying has trouble toggling his options. He is first option or bust.

i believe it’s not only a copycat league for teams but self proclaimed experts. These experts were the same who praised Dwayne Haskins from the same system and made the same reads as Fields.

They’re all one read QBs. You just hope to surround them with the coach and structure to develop them. A strong and accurate arm along with mobility can overcome a lot of what hasn’t yet developed imo.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
If they move away from Sam I feel its purely about $$$ and resetting the clock.

Imo, that should not be the reason. Imo, the Jets really need to determine if Darnold is a good QB. Seems obvious but simply resetting the $$$ clock and waiting until Round 2 and free agency to begin building is no different than when the Jets drafted Darnold.

Is Darnold good is the big question while an equally big question is can the next QB handle New York? That question has been answered by Darnold who hasn’t flinched despite the surrounding mess.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'm holding hope Watson goes to MIA for 3OA ++ and if we have agreement w/ATL, we can do

Jets select Wilson 2OA
ATL flips 4OA ++ for Wilson

We then do Darnold + 4OA for 3OA, and take Sewell
Have to hope we still wind up w/Sewell, but that could work.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Cowboys are giving Dak Prescott a four-year, $160 million deal, including a record $126 million guaranteed, source tells ESPN.

The first three years average $42 million per year.

Go draft a QB Jets. These QB’s numbers are a min of $30 million per

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Cowboys are giving Dak Prescott a four-year, $160 million deal, including a record $126 million guaranteed, source tells ESPN.

Kina surprised they are investing that much in Dak after that injury. I mean yeah he certainly is likely on the road to recovery but that was a nasty injury. Who is to say he returns but is only 80% of what he was. Its certainly a lot of money guaranteed

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
They’re absolutely not giving you their starting LT and the 9th pick for Darnold and the 23. It’s not remotely close to value

You’re looking at SF’s 2nd at best I would say. Maybe Washington swaps 1sts.

Reactions: darko

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020

It's why I kinda want to keep on Darnold.

If he did have a breakout season, he's not getting more than 20-22 mil on a long term deal off one season.

He would get the lesser Tannehill Titans deal.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
They’re absolutely not giving you their starting LT and the 9th pick for Darnold and the 23. It’s not remotely close to value

You’re looking at SF’s 2nd at best I would say. Maybe Washington swaps 1sts.

Agreed. Looking at a 2 and a 4/5th rounder for DArnold.

The only teams I could see offering a 1 is either Pitt or NO with their QB situations

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Agreed. Looking at a 2 and a 4/5th rounder for DArnold.

The only teams I could see offering a 1 is either Pitt or NO with their QB situations

Peter Schrager has been on a lot of podcasts I listen to lately. He's tight with the Jets. He recently said even he doesn't know which way they're going to go at QB. That they're still evaluating Darnold with the new staff and whether they think he can take a leap forward or he's just not that good.

The buzz Zach Wilson is getting all over the league is real, and it only helps the Jets. If they don't choose Wilson, they'll be a lot of teams lining up to trade for the 2nd pick from what everyones saying.

I'm over Darnold personally. but I won't pretend to know if Wilson is the guy. Especially when you're talking about forgoing a ransom to keep the pick and draft Wilson.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Peter Schrager has been on a lot of podcasts I listen to lately. He's tight with the Jets. He recently said even he doesn't know which way they're going to go at QB. That they're still evaluating Darnold with the new staff and whether they think he can take a leap forward or he's just not that good.

The buzz Zach Wilson is getting all over the league is real, and it only helps the Jets. If they don't choose Wilson, they'll be a lot of teams lining up to trade for the 2nd pick from what everyones saying.

I'm over Darnold personally. but I won't pretend to know if Wilson is the guy. Especially when you're talking about forgoing a ransom to keep the pick and draft Wilson.

Wilson talk is just going nuts right now.

And I'm a Darnold guy. He has gotten such a bad situation that a team like the Saints are gonna make him a multiple pro bowler.

If the Jets get a Godfather off for 2, they got to take it. Imo.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Allen Robinson tagged. Jets need to draft a WR or 3.

Even if they were to add Robinson, I was on board with drafting a WR in the top 3 rounds. Now, it seems paramount to draft one with one of their top 3 picks. #34 overall should have some nice options available, or a potential trade down like last year when they scooped Mims after moving down from that spot.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Wilson talk is just going nuts right now.

And I'm a Darnold guy. He has gotten such a bad situation that a team like the Saints are gonna make him a multiple pro bowler.

If the Jets get a Godfather off for 2, they got to take it. Imo.

Yeah I don't know what to make of Wilson honestly.

If you're not sure he's gonna be great - if you're not obsessed with him - you take the package. It could be huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad