OT: 2021 Football Thread: Mock Draft SZN

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
No question as I've said same thing a bunch of times. Not a chance on gods green earth do the Bengals let Sewell past them especially after what they saw happen to Burrow.

I would not be surprised in the least if the Dolphins take Sewell if the Jets take Wilson or they trade down. This is the reason why I hope Douglas sends off fake smoke signals that Sewell is his guy to see if the Bengals bite and send a bunch of picks to the Jets to move down.

I know how Cincy has notoriously been over the years and that Brown is very frugal but Sewell is desperately needed by them. Lets see if they blink.

I don't think the Bengals bite. They will take BPA. Very possible they have no qualms giving Burrow his boy Chase and go OT in round 2 or in FA.

Really think Carolina and Denver are the real desperate teams to move up.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I mean, that would be kind of incredible. If Chase and Waddle are both gone, that's an insta-pick from me if he is somehow there.
"First things first, the chances of Sewell actually falling this far are slim. But this mock represents what I would do and not what the NFL would do, so a generational tackle falls right in the lap of New York here at Pick 11."
Right, it's what he would do as the other NFL teams ahead of him who need an LT and not pick what he calls a a generational talent LT. He may as well take Jerry's job.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I was going to make a comment about how it's so far from set and how the mocks are going to change so much before the draft, so I decided to go back and look to see how accurate that comment was

February 2020 mocks (mainly right after the super bowl) - I chose to look through the Jets pick at 11.

McShay had 6 of 11 picks correct (top 3 correct)
Kiper had 3 of 11 picks correct (top 2 correct)
Matt Miller 6 of 11 picks correct (top 3 correct) - he had it nearly perfect with the OT just the wrong guys going to each team (Giants, Jets, Browns)

McShay had Becton to the Jets in early Feb 2020. He's buddies with Douglas so I usually watch his comments re Jets closely.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
I was going to make a comment about how it's so far from set and how the mocks are going to change so much before the draft, so I decided to go back and look to see how accurate that comment was

February 2020 mocks (mainly right after the super bowl) - I chose to look through the Jets pick at 11.

McShay had 6 of 11 picks correct (top 3 correct)
Kiper had 3 of 11 picks correct (top 2 correct)
Matt Miller 6 of 11 picks correct (top 3 correct) - he had it nearly perfect with the OT just the wrong guys going to each team (Giants, Jets, Browns)

McShay had Becton to the Jets in early Feb 2020. He's buddies with Douglas so I usually watch his comments re Jets closely.

I take the Mcshay and the Jeremiah mocks seriously when it comes to the Jets since they have connections to the front office.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I take the Mcshay and the Jeremiah mocks seriously when it comes to the Jets since they have connections to the front office.

I know I may be on an island here and that this may be blasphemous seeing alot of peeps don't like him and think he's a bunch of hot air, but I also take Kipers opinions very seriously when it comes to the draft.

And this is why Kiper having us taking Sewell gives me a little bit of pause to this confidence I have that Joe is going to take Wilson. Listen if it happens this way I'm going to support it and be more than OK with it but that would mean Sam is going to be the guy one last time and too me that's not the tact I think the Jets should take.

We'll see soon enough but I really hope Douglas finds a team that will give us such a haul and an offer that he can't refuse that he just has to draft down. We have so many needs, I really would like that to be the direction we go even if it meant we don't get Wilson or Sewell.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I know I may be on an island here and that this may be blasphemous seeing alot of peeps don't like him and think he's a bunch of hot air, but I also take Kipers opinions very seriously when it comes to the draft.

And this is why Kiper having us taking Sewell gives me a little bit of pause to this confidence I have that Joe is going to take Wilson. Listen if it happens this way I'm going to support it and be more than OK with it but that would mean Sam is going to be the guy one last time and too me that's not the tact I think the Jets should take.

We'll see soon enough but I really hope Douglas finds a team that will give us such a haul and an offer that he can't refuse that he just has to draft down. We have so many needs, I really would like that to be the direction we go even if it meant we don't get Wilson or Sewell.

I would like to be wrong on this, but I doubt it on this.
Sure, they could take Wilson vs my preference.
Sure Wilson is a good crap shoot but he is a crap shoot.

Sewell is a DOMINANT, sure thing.

For that reason, whatever profit we may reasonably expect is not gonna be enuf to risk losing Sewell.

And I fully expect he does not get past Miami at 3, let alone Cincy at 5.

Take the sure thing and remove OL from the headache list.
If other guys [slater, etc.] fall to us, I'm happy to add to an embarrassment of riches. Bit the core MUST BE sewell + becton.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Some mocks have fish [Costanza correction, 'mammal'] going WR at 3OA.

Don't see it.
they will draft Wilson if we take Sewell.

Only exception I see is if Houston deals Watson for 3OA +

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Kiper is much more into "here's what this team SHOULD do here" rather than "here's what I'm hearing they will do'

Which is fine. You just have to know that going in. He's a bit of scouting idealist IMO

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Kiper is much more into "here's what this team SHOULD do here" rather than "here's what I'm hearing they will do'

Which is fine. You just have to know that going in. He's a bit of scouting idealist IMO

Maybe there is some of that "should do" combined with the "here's what I hear they will do" in Kiper's reporting. I'm good with that. I like Jerimiah and McShay's reporting as well.

For most part tho, it's all a crap shoot. I just hope that there is one team that wants a player so badly that he's willing to call Douglas and say what do you need to get this done for us to trade draft slots.

That would be the ultimate move IMO for the Jets this offseason....we shalt see soon enough!

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
And I really believe that team is Denver or Carolina.

Both were in hard on Stafford. Both are in hard for Watson.

Either the Jets or Dolphins are gonna smash them in a deal.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Maybe there is some of that "should do" combined with the "here's what I hear they will do" in Kiper's reporting. I'm good with that. I like Jerimiah and McShay's reporting as well.

For most part tho, it's all a crap shoot. I just hope that there is one team that wants a player so badly that he's willing to call Douglas and say what do you need to get this done for us to trade draft slots.

That would be the ultimate move IMO for the Jets this offseason....we shalt see soon enough!

A lot of these mocks assume teams are rational and draft for need. But we know, they're not. They do crazy shit.

I did a game with a group of buddies last year where we did our own 1st round mocks. You get points for nailing exact picks. It was so hard. You get one team doing something stupid and it throws the next 5 picks out of wack

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Kiper has a new mock. Fire Mel Kiper into the sun. f*** outta here Melvin.

Jets trade down to #4. 2nd for 4th and 2 second rounders

Then the Jets take Kyle Pitts with the 4th OA

Jags - Lawrence
Falcons - Wilson
Dolphins - Smith
Jets - Pitts
Bengals - Sewell
Eagles - Chase
49ers (trade up) - Fields
Panthers - Mac Jones
Pats (trade up) - Trey Lance
Cowboys - Surtain
Giants - Waddle

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020

Jags - Lawrence
Falcons - Wilson
Dolphins - Smith
Jets - Pitts
Bengals - Sewell
Eagles - Chase
Panthers - Mac Jones
Cowboys - Surtain
Giants - Waddle

Kiper just went for clickbait.

No way Pitts to the Jets.

No way Mac Jones at 8.

No way Denver trades down.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

Jags - Lawrence
Falcons - Wilson
Dolphins - Smith
Jets - Pitts
Bengals - Sewell
Eagles - Chase
Panthers - Mac Jones
Cowboys - Surtain
Giants - Waddle

personally, i hate the whole TE thing. Yes, there are multiple good TEs but visions of a higher picked TE dominating the game year after year never happens. The better TEs are usually beyond Round 1.

T.J. Hockenson and Eric Ebron were going to be great
Hayden Hurst
O.J. Howard
Evan Engram
Hunter Henry

I don’t care how good Pitts was in college. Like the top two above all the skill gets replaced by “ he can’t block, he has to improve his strength, his pad level is too high, etc”. None of these guys dominate like a Kellen Winslow or Tony Gonzales. They’re all nice but forgetful. No way i touch a TE early.

Reactions: bbny

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
personally, i hate the whole TE thing. Yes, there are multiple good TEs but visions of a higher picked TE dominating the game year after year never happens. The better TEs are usually beyond Round 1.

T.J. Hockenson and Eric Ebron were going to be great
Hayden Hurst
O.J. Howard
Evan Engram
Hunter Henry

I don’t care how good Pitts was in college. Like the top two above all the skill gets replaced by “ he can’t block, he has to improve his strength, his pad level is too high, etc”. None of these guys dominate like a Kellen Winslow or Tony Gonzales. They’re all nice but forgetful. No way i touch a TE early.

Agree with all you said about TE's as they are folly for most part to be 1st rounders except of course when the Jets took Kyle Brady at #9 instead of Warren Sapp....lol. That one still gives me nightmares.

In all seriousness, agree with your premise other than take TJ Hockenson out of the mix as he is panning out and is a Top 5 TE already and could be even more...he's really really good. Other than that...spot on!

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

Jags - Lawrence
Falcons - Wilson
Dolphins - Smith
Jets - Pitts
Bengals - Sewell
Eagles - Chase
Panthers - Mac Jones
Cowboys - Surtain
Giants - Waddle

As I just said to @SRHRangers, Kiper, I'm convinced, did this ridiculousness on purpose just to make me look bad after not even a day ago, I started waxing poetic about him....thx Mel...you bone head!...lol

Last edited:

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
In all seriousness, agree with your premise other than take TJ Hockenson out of the mix as he is panning out and is a Top 5 TE already and could be even more...he's really really good. Other than that...spot on!

he is good. Does he make as big an impact as many players drafted after him? Hockenson is nice. He’s not a WOW player but he’s nice. Would i draft him over quite a few players drafted after him. Probably not.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020

Jags - Lawrence
Falcons - Wilson
Dolphins - Smith
Jets - Pitts
Bengals - Sewell
Eagles - Chase
Panthers - Mac Jones
Cowboys - Surtain
Giants - Waddle

The funny thing is, the trade down to 4 isn't a bad idea. I would probably sign off on that, but I would try to grab an extra 3, or turn the 22 2nd into a 1.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
he is good. Does he make as big an impact as many players drafted after him? Hockenson is nice. He’s not a WOW player but he’s nice. Would i draft him over quite a few players drafted after him. Probably not.

I'm not saying he's John Mackey or Tony G. All I'm saying is Hockenson shouldn't be on that list of TE busts over the years that you jotted down. He has emerged to the point where in just his 2nd season, he's one of the top players at the position.

And for him to have done that despite being picked 8th overall, I don't think the Lions have any regrets whatsoever nor should they. I quickly glanced at the 2019 draft board and there are a few guys I might have drafted in front of Hockenson....Devon Bush, Ed Oliver, Monte Sweat are a few. But the rest of the draft, I don't see many others.

The Lions needed a TE and they got the best one in the last couple of years. Gotta give them some cred for that or at least I am...hah

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I'm not saying he's John Mackey or Tony G. All I'm saying is Hockenson shouldn't be on that list of TE busts over the years that you jotted down.

never said any of them are busts. Message was completely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad