OT: 2021 Football Thread: Mock Draft SZN

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
I see Sewell going 5.

Jets or whoever at 2 go QB, and Miami is gonna get Watson and use the 3 pick, where Houston will take a QB.

Only way Jets should take Sewell is if they trade with Atlanta at 4.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I see Sewell going 5.

Jets or whoever at 2 go QB, and Miami is gonna get Watson and use the 3 pick, where Houston will take a QB.

Only way Jets should take Sewell is if they trade with Atlanta at 4.

I hear you and it would be nice IF we could get something extra.
But even if ATL at 4 goes to 2 for QB to replace Ryan;
too much risk that Watson not traded before draft, ie for assets and future, not this yr selections.

Every year we see guys hyped and most are not all that and a bag of chips, incl esp at sq 1.
Lawrence is the only sure thing, IMO.
Watson has track record, and is still good age mid 20s, but how much wear and tear? Is he ACL or whatev he had a huge red flag? Also, concerned this is possible too much prima donna getting too much control. I have no prob w/letting a leader -- like Messier, Namath, etc -- lead; but is Watson that mature?
\
\
OTOH, Sewell is likely closest to guarantee possible.
If NYJ foolishly do not grab at 2, he does not fall past 3.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
We shouldn’t trade the 2nd pick before the draft unless it’s for Watson. if they’re set on Wilson at 2 so be it.

But if the Plan is to trade down, wait till draft day. too many crazy things can happen. Might as well maximize the leverage even if you know you’re gonna trade down.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
We shouldn’t trade the 2nd pick before the draft unless it’s for Watson. if they’re set on Wilson at 2 so be it.

But if the Plan is to trade down, wait till draft day. too many crazy things can happen. Might as well maximize the leverage even if you know you’re gonna trade down.

Oh yeah. A trade won't go down until 48 hours prior to the draft at the earliest.

And if the Jets stay at 2, it's for Wilson and expect some sort of a Darnold deal for a late 1/early 2.

As much as I want Watson, I think he's headed to Miami. I hope Houston stands firm and doesn't trade him.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
. . . with the 2nd pick in the 2021 NFL draft the New York Jets select . . . Justin Fields THE Ohio State

. . . and the world ends lol

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
. . . with the 2nd pick in the 2021 NFL draft the New York Jets select . . . Justin Fields THE Ohio State

. . . and the world ends lol

Fields is a tough one for me.

Kid has a rifle for an arm, but his release is wayyyyy too long.

He's going to need some mechanical tinkering for sure in the pros.

Imo, if it came down to Fields, or Darnold, I want to give Darnold a fair shake with a REAL coaching staff and trade down and build a team.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

Imo, if it came down to Fields, or Darnold, I want to give Darnold a fair shake with a REAL coaching staff and trade down and build a team.

Yeah Fields wouldn't be my first choice obviously seeing I want Wilson at 2. But if hypothetically we moved down into that 4-6 range and Fields is there staring at us, it would be really hard to let him get by us. Let's put it this way, if it were between Fields, Smith or Chase if we moved down, I'd have a hard time not taking Fields in that 4-6 range.

Oh and I really doubt we'd get a low 1st round or high 2nd round pick for Darnold. I obviously hope I'd be wrong but I think a high 3rd rounder and at best a low 2nd rounder would be just about as good as good as Joe could do if he was dealing Darnold.

I do admit to being a bit intrigued in what Sam could do with proper coaching, better weaponry and a better O-line. I just have a feeling the new coaching staff is going to want to start their new regime with a new QB rather than attempt to fix the other regimes QB. We'll see soon enough.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think the noise about a 1 for Darnold is with the Saints after Brees retires.

I'm dreading that thought because Payton will prolly have Darnold as a 4 time Pro Bowler.
I generally don't root for players once they leave the team, particularly guys who were only there for a few years at most, but I would root for Darnold. I rooted for Sanchez. No one wants to see your franchise with egg on its face, but that's just the perpetual reality for the Jets. The team has damn-near ruined Darnold, and I'd love to see a competent staff help him put it all together if in fat he is moved. He has always been a good solider here, saying and doing the right things. We just never really gave him to opportunity to succeed. I could live with looing foolish through his success.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
I generally don't root for players once they leave the team, particularly guys who were only there for a few years at most, but I would root for Darnold. I rooted for Sanchez. No one wants to see your franchise with egg on its face, but that's just the perpetual reality for the Jets. The team has damn-near ruined Darnold, and I'd love to see a competent staff help him put it all together if in fat he is moved. He has always been a good solider here, saying and doing the right things. We just never really gave him to opportunity to succeed. I could live with looing foolish through his success.

Agreed. This is why I want Darnold to get the shot here. He can make every throw on the field. Give the kid some real coaching structure and use this draft to build a roster that will fit Salehs philosophy.

I also see a franchise like Denver that their fans are screaming for a QB and could see them being taken for a ride on a trade up.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Like I said, other than Namath endorsed Lawrence, there is some risk w/all these guys. And minimal likelihood of instant relief. And if you do not get Sewell, who is not only OT to consider/pick but prob the only one ready to deliver day 1, realize and admit whoev your QB is, it's gonna be more of the same prob we've seen to date.

Hockey has parallel
draft Cs over Ws

Grab Sewell, keep Becton, see what Slater costs.

All options
Darnold yes or no fine either way.
See how he responds w/protection, then if good sign short term [so we not locked in if he regresses] and we have him at reasonable, not top dollar. If he doesn't want to go there, trade his ass.

We can get adequate -> excellent guy for less if shift thru the surplus pile available for less. Age of Billy Kilmer has come and gone. Everyone today in dif degrees has a pro arm. Look what we did w/Fitzpatrick.
We have extra picks this year AND NEXT.
We should be able to upgrade somewhere along the line.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

I think the trade value is low because of the contract. Still IMO that devalues Sam and the #2 pick.

$10 million roster bonus next month. Wentz goes back to Frank Reich. Could be considered win-win if the conditional pick turns into a first rounder.

Last edited:

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
I think the trade value is low because of the contract. Still IMO that devalues Sam and the #2 pick.

$10 million roster bonus next month. Wentz goes back to Frank Reich. Could be considered win-win if the conditional pick turns into a first rounder.

Think it's the opposite.

That '22 pick will most likely be a 1. Wentz has to play 75% of the snaps for it to be moved up.

The fact that Philly got that deal, attached with Wentz's contract, imo improves the value of Darnold, and especially, the 2 pick.

Denver is the team to rip off.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Think it's the opposite.

That '22 pick will most likely be a 1. Wentz has to play 75% of the snaps for it to be moved up.

The fact that Philly got that deal, attached with Wentz's contract, imo improves the value of Darnold, and especially, the 2 pick.

I just look at it as there being 1 less team looking for a QB. The fact that a new team has little time to decide whether to extend Sam (or pick up his 2022 season for $25 million) seems more of an issue than Wentz's contract. The Eagles trading him now save $10 million but it is still something like $20-25 million in dead cap for them. It's not so ugly for the Colts as I understand it at least.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
I just look at it as there being 1 less team looking for a QB. The fact that a new team has little time to decide whether to extend Sam (or pick up his 2022 season for $25 million) seems more of an issue than Wentz's contract. The Eagles trading him now save $10 million but it is still something like $20-25 million in dead cap for them. It's not so ugly for the Colts as I understand it at least.

I'm just looking at the Colts perspective.

They are locked into Wentz for at least 2 seasons at 25+ mil against the cap for a QB with bigger health and rep issues than Darnold.

It's basically a 1 and a 3. Something bad has to happen in Indy for them not giving 75% of the snaps to Wentz.

I think the deal makes me feel comfortable the Jets get a late 1/early 2 for Darnold if they went that route.

I think it puts the 2 pick in much higher value though.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Think it's the opposite.

Agree it increases Darnold value.
We should not risk losing Sewell at 2, so upgrade/downgrade in trade value is moot, imo, vs using pick.
Is there any chance we can package Darnold, SEA 1st + something tasty incl a pick from next yr to move up to 4, w/Jets also taking Ryan contract off ATL's hands?

Then we parlay Ryan to DEN?

I think yr right but if I am not mistaken, they can decline Darnold's option at 25 mil and then offer to sign him at market rate, which will be less, unless Sam has monster yr.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
I think this is going to be the weirdest draft ever. For a few reasons:

1. The college football season was a farce. A lot of great players that would be top ten picks opted out. Which is bad for them but also for the game. Then some guys played partial seasons and opted out. Because of the lack of practices a lot of top guys who did play got injured, which will tank their stock. Either way, without a good look in their critical final seasons a lot of guys will be over or under drafted. Which makes it so much fun. I expect a ton of guys to bust in this draft and a ton of lower picks to emerge, especially at the skill positions. I don't think there is value added past the 5th pick and a ton of qbs will be overdrafted. I find the BYU qb suspect for reasons mentioned here.

2. The lack of close evaluation will really hurt teams when analyzing prospects. I think linemen will be heavy victims of this weird season. A lot of mid round wr will be stars.

3. A lot of guys that would have been drafted, will not and that is a bad thing for the players and a good thing for teams who get them as udrfa. Guys who would have come out after their sophomore seasons would be stupid to do so now, so some won't declare.

Reactions: SRHRangers

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Agree it increases Darnold value.
We should not risk losing Sewell at 2, so upgrade/downgrade in trade value is moot, imo, vs using pick.
Is there any chance we can package Darnold, SEA 1st + something tasty incl a pick from next yr to move up to 4, w/Jets also taking Ryan contract off ATL's hands?

Then we parlay Ryan to DEN?

I think yr right but if I am not mistaken, they can decline Darnold's option at 25 mil and then offer to sign him at market rate, which will be less, unless Sam has monster yr.

No. Ryan is literally 99% untradable this offseason because of cap reasons.

And the 2 pick is either Wilson or a trade down. Way too many QB hungry teams (Denver, Carolina, possibly Atlanta, Detroit, and now Philly) to target Sewell at 2.

Now, hypothetical, if the Jets trade down to 6 and Sewell is there, I would personally sprint the ticket to Goodell.

There is just too much value at 2 in a trade down to pick there unless we take Wilson and reboot.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
I think this is going to be the weirdest draft ever. For a few reasons:

1. The college football season was a farce. A lot of great players that would be top ten picks opted out. Which is bad for them but also for the game. Then some guys played partial seasons and opted out. Because of the lack of practices a lot of top guys who did play got injured, which will tank their stock. Either way, without a good look in their critical final seasons a lot of guys will be over or under drafted. Which makes it so much fun. I expect a ton of guys to bust in this draft and a ton of lower picks to emerge, especially at the skill positions. I don't think there is value added past the 5th pick and a ton of qbs will be overdrafted. I find the BYU qb suspect for reasons mentioned here.

2. The lack of close evaluation will really hurt teams when analyzing prospects. I think linemen will be heavy victims of this weird season. A lot of mid round wr will be stars.

3. A lot of guys that would have been drafted, will not and that is a bad thing for the players and a good thing for teams who get them as udrfa. Guys who would have come out after their sophomore seasons would be stupid to do so now, so some won't declare.

I 100% agree with you, and why I rather trade down and spread multiple picks over a weird season/combine, than put my eggs in one basket.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I would be shocked if Darnold returns a 1st, just bc the teams that need a QB have high firsts. Maybe NO take a flier on him?

But a top 15 pick would be crazy. Maybe Washington gets dumb at 19? That’s a stretch.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
No. Ryan is literally 99% untradable this offseason because of cap reasons.

And the 2 pick is either Wilson or a trade down. Way too many QB hungry teams (Denver, Carolina, possibly Atlanta, Detroit, and now Philly) to target Sewell at 2.

Now, hypothetical, if the Jets trade down to 6 and Sewell is there, I would personally sprint the ticket to Goodell.

There is just too much value at 2 in a trade down to pick there unless we take Wilson and reboot.

I don't think there is anyway on gods green earth if we don't take Sewell that he gets past the Dolphins at 3 and at very very worst the Bengals at 5. We've discussed this earlier this week and we are on same page tho. Jets either take Wilson at 2 or trade down hopefully nowhere past 6.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
I would be shocked if Darnold returns a 1st, just bc the teams that need a QB have high firsts. Maybe NO take a flier on him?

But a top 15 pick would be crazy. Maybe Washington gets dumb at 19? That’s a stretch.

WFT, Chicago, NO, Pitt I think are the teams for Darnold if they go that route.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
As far as the Wentz deal, this is one of those "win/win" type deals for both.

For the Eagles to get a 3rd and a 1st next year as that's what it very likely will be and to get rid of that monstrosity of a contract, Howie did very well in the return. Now Hurts can do his thing with no one looking over his shoulder. If I'm an Eagle fan...I be thrilled!

And for the Colts, so long as Wentz stays healthy which is always a big if, behind that offensive line which might be the best in the NFL and the weapons he now has, it can be argued the Colts are right there with the Chiefs and probably the Bills as top 2-3 teams in the AFC and a definite threat to make it to the SB next year.

So if I'm a Colt fan...I be thrilled!

Solid trade for both teams which is kind of rare these days.

Reactions: bernmeister
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad