OT: 2021 Football Thread: Mock Draft SZN

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I have no issues grabbing a LT at 2 if it's going to be an Ogden/Pace/W. Jones type. The Jets already have their LT, and the Jets are not in a position of a luxury pick.

Sewell at 2 is a luxury pick.

You have Atlanta, Detroit, Carolina, and now even Philly licking their chops for a QB.

Trade down and accumulate.

Hell, you can move down to 4 or 6 and still get Sewell.

imo, all you have to is look at the Giants and Colts.

Giants at #2 refused to pick up the phone, drafted Barkley and they have won 15 games over 3 years

The Colts traded with the Jets for picks and won 28 games over 3 years

The Jets are picking #2 again.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
imo, all you have to is look at the Giants and Colts.

Giants at #2 refused to pick up the phone, drafted Barkley and they have won 15 games over 3 years

The Colts traded with the Jets for picks and won 28 games over 3 years

The Jets are picking #2 again.

Lol. I wanted Nelson in that draft.

Indy just can flat out draft. They hit Darius Leonard that same draft in round 2.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Lol. I wanted Nelson in that draft.

Indy just can flat out draft. They hit Darius Leonard that same draft in round 2.

. . . and Braden Smith in Round 2 for RT along with HB’s Hines and Wilkins who have gained 3,250 combined yards (rush/receive). The whole draft of 12 has contributions from approx 9 players

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
per Yardbarker
Ravens All Pro RT [Brown?] wants out unless he plays LT.
BAL already has Staley all pro LT

---------
Something around the SEA 1st for him
he's 6'8 mid 300s and solid

give him LT he wants
draft Sewell, play at RT
shift mobile Becton to RG

if we can somehow add Slater to that, play him at LG!

get a dominant O line, young no worries, next 5 or so yrs barring injury

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

refreshing to read a realistic post about any position being set for “5 or so yrs” rather than the typical “set for 15 years” cr@p we hear on networks and read in print. Although, i wouldn’t tie up that much in OL.

:thumbu:

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
per Yardbarker

---------

give him LT he wants
draft Sewell, play at RT

Oh boy.....

Where to begin.....

1. Becton is not a RT, let alone a RG.
2. You don't draft a RT at 2.
3. You don't dump assets into a position you already have locked up for the next 7-10 years (LT). Slater on the other hand, IS projected as a RT, and have no problem if he's a draft target after a trade down.
4. You don't have 4 tackles across the line.
5. You are not getting Sewell, Slater, and Smith together if you're using the 23rd OV pick to deal for Smith. It's either you pick Sewell or Slater, not both.
6. Horrible mismanagement of assets compared to draft position and entire organization need. (Sewell at 2ov is a luxury pick that this team does not have the luxury of taking)

Last edited:
Reactions: nyr2k2

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
per Yardbarker

---------

give him LT he wants
draft Sewell, play at RT

trading for a guy who feels he’s playing out of position ans then moving everyone’s position around seems like a pretty crazy idea

Reactions: sbjnyc

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
You would think the Ravens tackle wanting a trade because he only wants to play LT would show you why you don’t move Becton and piss him off.

Not to mention he looks like a really good LT.

Reactions: SRHRangers

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Oh boy.....

Where to begin.....

3. You don't dump assets into a position you already have locked up for the next 7-10 years (LT). Slater on the other hand, IS projected as a RT, and have no problem if he's a draft target after a trade down.
5. You are not getting Sewell, Slater, and Smith together if you're using the 23rd OV pick to deal for Smith. It's either you pick Sewell or Slater, not both.
6. Horrible mismanagement of assets compared to draft position and entire organization need. (Sewell at 2ov is a luxury pick that this team does not have the luxury of taking)

RT is easier. If he can play LT, he can handle RT/
G is easier than T.
If he can play T and is sufficiently mobile which he is he can play G

You take an impact player/guy who dominates wherever you can.
And ef this bs about how we HAVE TO go QB at 2.
We can develop a guy.
This OL has been a mess for decades. DECADES.
Time to grab the effin bull by the horn here.

There is a parallel to hockey which applies which you are ignoring.
If 2 equal talents you take a C over a W.
Same here, you take a T over a G.
Some guys can't do both but that is almost always a guy who can handle RT but can't handle LT.

Also there is depth/injury insurance stacking up this way.

Don't have to run all 4 every single play, can let other OL eat mins to reduce wear and tear on these studs.

No reason cannot be done if enuf talent/mobility.
Only one guy insists on being LT and his track record suggests he can cut it.
Others can handle the other positions.

We should have an open mind and see what is best value for 23OA. However, a young enough established All Pro LT for 23OA is arguably a bargain,

respectfully disagree and calling out bs on projection of inside the box MUST DO THIS, MUST DO THAT.
Ef that bs.
Sewell is a need.
Smith may/may not come over
We may/may not get Slater later.

Take Sewell and try to set up a core of 4 that is a real wall of granite.

I am not optimistic we can score all 3 to add to Becton but it would depend on what the prices and bids were and that would impact if 23OA is available and for who.

It is possible Smith goes after the draft for a pick next year.
Or a 2nd this yr, a 2nd next yr and a nice sweetener...

but in the name of all that is holy, we have to effin try, our QBs are constantly under siege
it has to stop

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Decades?

Has DBrick, Mangold, Faneca and Co. been over multiple decades? No.

Do it within reason and have enough to fill the rest of the holes on that swiss cheese defense. Especially since we are going back to 4-3 personnel.

If they keep Darnold, trade down. Acquire multiple assets for 2 OV. Have Atlanta, Detroit, Carolina, and Denver in the top 10 all wanting QB. Could prolly land an extra 2 this year and a 2022 1st/+ next year.

Keep Becton at his natural position of LT.

Move down and draft Slater in the 8-9 range. There is your RT.

Acquire an extra 2 this year with a 2022 1st and take either Wyatt Davis or the C Humphrey from Oklahoma. Either could easily be a late 1st rounder.

Then you have 60% of the Oline, while keeping the Sea 1, your own 2, and both 3s to fill out other holes (Dline, pass rush, CB, WR, RB).

And you will at least have 3 1st rounders next season (own, Seattle, team moving up to 2OV).

I am agreeing with needing to address the OLine. There are better ways than overdraft a guy based on the teams needs.

Imo, the only way the Jets draft 2 should be for Wilson.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Also @bernmeister

Orlando Brown Jr.would cost more than 23Ov. Think the Tunsil deal and realize how bad that was for one franchise (Houston) and fantastic for the other (Miami).

Then, Brown is going to get PAID.

Reactions: bernmeister

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Yet everyone, and rightfully so at the time, thought he was a reach because there was no indication on tape he would be an all pro. The draft is a crapshoot.

Let me rephrase.

If the Jets didn't trade up and picked at 6 that year, I wanted Nelson.

Once the trade was made, I understood what it was for.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Also @bernmeister

Orlando Brown Jr.would cost more than 23Ov. Think the Tunsil deal and realize how bad that was for one franchise (Houston) and fantastic for the other (Miami).

Then, Brown is going to get PAID.

He's under contract still? After that, he deserves it, but you're right we will have to extend him quickly to keep him off the market.
All of that is cost of doing biz.
Paying a big time producer doesn't kill you.
It's the bad bets, whether as to production, salary or both.

As to cost to acquire, we have to see what Ravens will want but mo signif what rest of market is willing to pay.
What is exact currency required?
Will it be all this yr?
Or can it be part now and part next yr or 2?

Also this guy is not 22. His shelf life is 2-3 yrs low and not much more high side. That reality impacts his return.

Best we can do is try and hope for best.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
What’s up with this site auto refreshing in the middle of me writing a post causing me to lose everything I typed? Happens pretty often...

Happens to me too alot. My tech saavy daughter told me once that happens, hit control Z once or twice and everything will come back.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Said it last week and will say it again today. I've done the research and watched alot of videos of Wilson and read alot of shit about him. Forget Sewell....we have Becton and we can rebuild the line later in the draft and in FA.

We either draft Wilson at #2 or trade down a couple of slots no later than 4-6(Atlanta, Cincy or Philly) garner a few extra picks in this draft and one next year and we take Wilson if he drops to us or we take the WR from Alabama Smith. There is no edge rusher, cover corner or anything worth taking over Wilson or Smith at either the 4-6 slots in my view.

Funny and I've said this before as well quite a bit, I'm actually very confident we are going to do the right thing no matter what we do and that's because Joe Douglas is making the decisions. Feels good to have someone competent in charge.

In Joe I Trust!!

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Said it last week and will say it again today. I've done the research and watched alot of videos of Wilson and read alot of shit about him. Forget Sewell....we have Becton and we can rebuild the line later in the draft and in FA.

We either draft Wilson at #2 or trade down a couple of slots no later than 4-6(Atlanta, Cincy or Philly) garner a few extra picks in this draft and one next year and we take Wilson if he drops to us or we take the WR from Alabama Smith. There is no edge rusher, cover corner or anything worth taking over Wilson or Smith at either the 4-6 slots in my view.

Funny and I've said this before as well quite a bit, I'm actually very confident we are going to do the right thing no matter what we do and that's because Joe Douglas is making the decisions. Feels good to have someone competent in charge.

In Joe I Trust!!

I think the trade down could go down to 7-9, where Carolina and Denver are really in the QB market. Detroit as well if they aren't confident in Goff.

I do have some trust in Douglas to evaluate and make the right decisions in the draft. It's why I'm not all in on any specific player and confident to trade into the 8-9 range. Douglas can build a team with more picks.

The only pick I want specific is if we at 2, it's for Wilson.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I think the trade down could go down to 7-9, where Carolina and Denver are really in the QB market. Detroit as well if they aren't confident in Goff.

I do have some trust in Douglas to evaluate and make the right decisions in the draft. It's why I'm not all in on any specific player and confident to trade into the 8-9 range. Douglas can build a team with more picks.

The only pick I want specific is if we at 2, it's for Wilson.

OK we agree on Wilson at 2. What I will differ with you is I don't want to trade down that far into the 8-9 range. 6 is about as far as I'd want to go and even than, unless we were getting such a sweetheart deal, I don't see how Douglas goes down anywhere, past there.

I just have a feeling the new coaching staff is going to want to bring in a new QB rather than try to fix an existing one hence Wilson. Now what we really should do is talk about Sewell so much that the Bengals who desperatly need Sewell, get antsy and think Douglas is going to take Sewell and than they offer a ton too us in order to move down.

Maybe Douglas can get the Bengals to trade up to 2 in return for their 5 plus we get their 2nd round 38th...3rd round 69th overall and next years #1. If Douglas can do that considering the Dolphins at 3 won't be taking a QB, depending upon who the Falcons took at 4(Fields or Wilson), we could still get Wilson and/or Fields at 5.

Bottom line...Douglas is in a great spot and if he plays his cards right, the Jets could get a windfall by trading down and still get Wilson. How good would that be?

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
OK we agree on Wilson at 2. What I will differ with you is I don't want to trade down that far into the 8-9 range. 6 is about as far as I'd want to go and even than, unless we were getting such a sweetheart deal, I don't see how Douglas goes down anywhere, past there.

I just have a feeling the new coaching staff is going to want to bring in a new QB rather than try to fix an existing one hence Wilson. Now what we really should do is talk about Sewell so much that the Bengals who desperatly need Sewell, get antsy and think Douglas is going to take Sewell and than they offer a ton too us in order to move down.

Maybe Douglas can get the Bengals to trade up to 2 in return for their 5 plus we get their 2nd round 38th...3rd round 69th overall and next years #1. If Douglas can do that considering the Dolphins at 3 won't be taking a QB, depending upon who the Falcons took at 4(Fields or Wilson), we could still get Wilson and/or Fields at 5.

Bottom line...Douglas is in a great spot and if he plays his cards right, the Jets could get a windfall by trading down and still get Wilson. How good would that be?

I don't see the Bengals as frugal as they are, to trade up for a non-QB. I'm all for the strategy if it, just don't see it in them.

If Sewell is taken before 5, they will go next best player on their board.

I don't mind going past 6 if it nets Douglas value. A player like Smith, Chase could still be on the board at 8-9 if the QBs have a run.

Denver at 9 also seems like the most desperate to move up. If the difference between say 6 and the 9 pick is an extra 2, I am all for it imo.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I don't see the Bengals as frugal as they are, to trade up for a non-QB. I'm all for the strategy if it, just don't see it in them.

If Sewell is taken before 5, they will go next best player on their board.

I don't mind going past 6 if it nets Douglas value. A player like Smith, Chase could still be on the board at 8-9 if the QBs have a run.

Denver at 9 also seems like the most desperate to move up. If the difference between say 6 and the 9 pick is an extra 2, I am all for it imo.

I get that the Bengals are frugal but I have to believe they aren't stupid. Well let me take that back...they are....lol.

Hypothetically, Douglas plays up Sewell. The Dolphins at 3 if Sewell is there will take him most likely. That would be two teams that could potentially take Sewell who let's be honest, they desperately need in order to protect their franchise QB Joe Burrow who they saw take tons of punishment until finally it happened and he broke down with a fairly devastating injury. Sewell would solve that problem for the next decade or so most likely.

Anyways, I get what your saying and your not wrong about the Bengals frugality but they also haven't had a QB like Burrow maybe ever and so they need Sewell more than anyone in the league and so maybe just maybe Douglas can get them to blink.

We'll see but one thing's for shit sure, the Jets control the draft and I kind of like being in this position.

Reactions: SRHRangers

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I get that the Bengals are frugal but I have to believe they aren't stupid. Well let me take that back...they are....lol.

Hypothetically, Douglas plays up Sewell. The Dolphins at 3 if Sewell is there will take him most likely. That would be two teams that could potentially take Sewell who let's be honest, they desperately need in order to protect their franchise QB Joe Burrow who they saw take tons of punishment until finally it happened and he broke down with a fairly devastating injury. Sewell would solve that problem for the next decade or so most likely.

Anyways, I get what your saying and your not wrong about the Bengals frugality but they also haven't had a QB like Burrow maybe ever and so they need Sewell more than anyone in the league and so maybe just maybe Douglas can get them to blink.

We'll see but one thing's for shit sure, the Jets control the draft and I kind of like being in this position.

Sewell goes 2 or 3
he does not fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad