Prospect Info: 2021 Draft - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I am not a fan of Power, I’d rather have Clarke or Hughes.

What is it about Power that worries you? I found Clarke didn't blow me away at the u18 (but that is also just one tournament), all three look to be very good top 4 defencemen though.

My main thought is, if we won a top 2 pick, go BPA regardless of positions of need. If the team thinks Luke Hughes is the best player available then take him and worry about having multiple elite LD later.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Hey, what are some draft trends that Dorion has that that might predict some future Senators?

1. He likes over-agers more than most teams
2. Likes the USNTDP players
3. Like North Dakota college recruits
4. Likes BCHL/Triple A players
5. Likes pests and players who are described as competitive/agressive/etc..

Does all that sound about right?

Edit: I think he's gone after super young players in the draft too. Guys who are among the youngest in the draft class.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hey, what are some draft trends that Dorion has that that might predict some future Senators?

Trent Mann is the Man. Dorion will go with what he and his team say for 1.

NHL blood lines is one of the biggest consistent tells

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
What is it about Power that worries you? I found Clarke didn't blow me away at the u18 (but that is also just one tournament), all three look to be very good top 4 defencemen though.

My main thought is, if we won a top 2 pick, go BPA regardless of positions of need. If the team thinks Luke Hughes is the best player available then take him and worry about having multiple elite LD later.
I think Power is too lackadaisical in the limited viewings I’ve had and I don’t like his decision making under duress, it’s not horrible but it’s not great. Clarke looked so good in the second half of the OHL season last year until it shut down. I like him better than I liked Drysdale last year although Drysdale is still great. I think Drysdale is smoother and reminds me of Scott Neidermeyer in style whereas I get a little more Matthieu Schneider style to Clarke, more offence and a little edge. These comparisons are in style not ceilings so I am not saying Schneider was better than Neidermeyer.

Reactions: DJB and Dan Patrick

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Edit: I think he's gone after super young players in the draft too. Guys who are among the youngest in the draft class.
Late risers which will be hard to pinpoint this year.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

They love competitive two-way forwards with intangibles (Lazar, White, Bowers, Pinto, Greig), even if they don't have high-end skill.

The Sens staff has historically valued late-risers and late-bloomers very highly. Also it's very rare we take major fallers in any round.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
They love competitive two-way forwards with intangibles (Lazar, White, Bowers, Pinto, Greig), even if they don't have high-end skill.
The Sens staff has historically valued late-risers and late-bloomers very highly. Also it's very rare we take major fallers in any round.

Late risers which will be hard to pinpoint this year.

Trent Mann is the Man. Dorion will go with what he and his team say for 1.
NHL blood lines is one of the biggest consistent tells
List:

1. Over-agers
2. USNTDP players
3. North Dakota recruits (and college players in general)
4. Triple A players
5. Likes pests and players who are described as competitive/aggressive/etc..
6. Young draftees
7. NHL Bloodlines
8. No fallers
9. Late risers are good.
10. Likes size, especially among defensemen.
11. Likes "two-way" centers/forwards

If we end up in the top2, I think they'll like all three of these guys:

1. Owen Power: USNTDP. Good size. College player. Highly ranked. I don't think we'd drop down to select someone else over him like Berniers or Hughes if he's available.
2. Matthew Berniers: USNTDP. Good size. College player. Considered a "Two way player". Noted for physicality. We might have him as our highest ranked forward.
3. Luke Hughes: One of the youngest draftees. USNTDP. Good size. NHL Bloodlines (kinda) College player. He checks a lot of boxes, if he somehow slides and we're drafting 8th-10th, Dorion will be all over him and might even trade up a bit to grab him.

If we draft 7-10, I think they'll still like all three of these guys if all the above guys are gone:

4. Cole Sillinger: NHL Bloodlines. USNTDP. (Not considered especially good defensively and played USHL last year which we don't typically draft from)
5. Dylan Guenther: Good size for a wing. Played AAA. One of the younger prospects. bit of a "riser". Probably gone by the time we pick though. I have a hard time seeing him falling this far.
6. Kent Johnson: Former Triple A. American College. Late riser. "two way forward". Good size.

Other:

7. Corson Ceulemans: Triple A. Big. One of the youngest draftees. Good Size (Not considered aggressive or a two-way player though. Ranked in the teens and sometimes in the twenties. It would be a reach. We COULD trade down, but I doubt it. If he falls, we could, conceivably trade our seconds for a late 1st and grab him.)

After that it becomes a lot more difficult for our 2nd and 3rd rounders:

Tyler Boucher: Ranked in the top of the 2nd round, right where our second round picks will be. Has NHL bloodlines and is considered physical if not necessarily a good two-way player. Good size. Unless someone takes him in the 1st, I think Piere is all over this kid like a dirty shirt. Might even give up a 7th to move up a few spots to make sure we get him.
Josh Doan: NHL bloodline. Overager. Had a terrible season in the USHL last year in his draft season (14 points) and turned things around (he put up 70 points this year!) Apparently he has some real energy. Good size too. Could conceivably be drafted in the 2nd or 3rd. Might jump on him with our early 3rd. He just turned 19 and will be going to college. Someone will jump on him if only because he was able to play a full season. Coming out of the USHL which we don't typically draft from.
Jackson Blake: NHL Bloodline. Going to UND. One of the younger draftees. Some scouting reports praised his two-way play. Probably a late 3rd or 4th, or 5th rounder, but we might pounce on him with an early 3rd Coming out of the USHL which we don't typically draft from and described as more of cerebral/sniper player than a aggressive or physical one.
Brent Johnson: North Dakota's new defenseman. Ranked in low 2nd and late 3rd rounds. Younger side. Might jump on him with our early 3rd. Coming out of the USHL which we don't typically draft from.
James Hardie: Overager and ranked player from 2020 that went undrafted despite a good season. Size issues. But a lot of OHL didn't play this year so scouts might consider him "safer" than a lot of 2021 players.
Ethan Cardwell. Overager from CHL. Went undrafted but was one of the younger players from 2020 draft. Couldn't play OHL this year so went overseas. Again, scouts might consider him "safer" than a lot of 2021 players who didn't play at all.
Zakhar Bardakov: Apparently he plays like an absolute dickhead. Leads KHL in PIMs I read somewhere. Don't know much about him. Double overager from the KHL. Played on the WJC-20 team in a bottom-6 role. Could come over and see what he can do in the AHL.
Shane Lachance: Scott LaChance's kid. 6'4 good. Size. One of the younger draftees. Rated as a 5th-7th rounder. A bit of a riser after he wasn't highly scouted. Dorion might take a flyer on him.
Ryan St. Louis: USNTDP. Martin St. Louis' son. Bigger than his dad at least, 5'10. On the younger side. Rated as a 5th-7th rounder. Someone will take him.

Reactions: NB613

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
If Clarke, Edvinsson, or Hughes falls to us, I think we pick one of them. Unless its Beniers or Guenther. I think the defense have top pairing ability but the forwards are top 6 with complementary top line ability.

The top-10 have been jockeying for position all season long. That's not an indication that there's a big difference between them. At the end of the day, the team needs a forward more than a d-man. If all of the team's ahead of us draft d-men, Dorion should be able to get his pick among the forwards.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I am calling it.

Cole Sillinger.
His father is Mike Sillinger, so he has the blood line factor that Dorion loves.
Mike played with Geoff Sanderson, Jake Sanderson father. Both born in Columbus.

Probably grew up together.
At 10/11 that's who I want too. If he can just improve his skating that pick could be a homerun

Reactions: Qward

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
What about Zachary L Heureux. Button have him at 7

He’s quite a pest but I think he’s a guy that steps over the line way too much. He’s like Tom Wilson greasy. Suspended four times this season and one was for spitting.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Reactions: Deku and OUTHOUSE

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I think you guys forgot local Ottawa ties in the listing of « plus criteria » for sens draftees/acquisitions.

Seem to always have a few guys in the system from the area. Aren’t always drafted but I’d imagine if it were close between a few guys that might be a factor.

I’d also broaden « NHL bloodlines » to « pro hockey bloodlines » as that encompasses guys like Batherson, Norris, Jarventie, Lodin, Kastelic, and to an extent Greig whose fathers played pro but didn’t necessarily have NHL success.

Those two add some chips to the Mason McTavish pile. Size, grit/physical, two way play, pro hockey bloodlines, played hockey in the Ottawa valley, plays Center but can project to wing. Ticks a lot of sens boxes.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
We're likely going to draft 10th or at best 9th. Hope we get a top 6 type forward at least in this draft...the forwards in our pick range are hard to project. I wish we could grab another high end skill guy but its more probably we end up with someone like many of our other forwards - strong, 2 way guy. Nothing wrong with that, but I feel long-term we're still missing some skill up front.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think you guys forgot local Ottawa ties in the listing of « plus criteria » for sens draftees/acquisitions.

Seem to always have a few guys in the system from the area. Aren’t always drafted but I’d imagine if it were close between a few guys that might be a factor.

I’d also broaden « NHL bloodlines » to « pro hockey bloodlines » as that encompasses guys like Batherson, Norris, Jarventie, and to an extent Greig whose fathers played pro but didn’t necessarily have NHL success.

Those two add some chips to the Mason McTavish pile.
The only guys since 2010 that are from within an hour of Ottawa are Pageau and Ceci. 2 guys in 11 drafts.

That’s the one aspect I feel is overblown about the Sens drafting tendencies, they never seem to take being from Ottawa or playing for the 67’s as a serious point towards their drafting.

They do use Mann’s home turf, with him living in New Brunswick, that’s probably their biggest trend in the past 5-6 years. Since 2015 they’ve drafted 6 guys from the Martime division of the Q, and another 3 guys in 2018 who played the World Junior A tournament in Truro, another who played until he was 16 in Halifax, as well as signing 2 guys from UNB and another from Moncton to play in the AHL.

They are the most heavily invested team in the league in that area. Even if you don’t count the WJAC where we saw all of Tychonik, JBD, and Crookshank play in Nova Scotia 5 times, they still have gone to the Maritime Division for 15% of our picks since 2015, which is extremely, extremely significant when it’s only a 6 team division.

Reactions: Bileur

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
The only guys since 2010 that are from within an hour of Ottawa are Pageau and Ceci. 2 guys in 11 drafts.

That’s the one aspect I feel is overblown about the Sens drafting tendencies, they never seem to take being from Ottawa or playing for the 67’s as a serious point towards their drafting.

They do use Mann’s home turf, with him living in New Brunswick, that’s probably their biggest trend in the past 5-6 years. Since 2015 they’ve drafted 6 guys from the Martime division of the Q, and another 3 guys in 2018 who played the World Junior A tournament in Truro, another who played until he was 16 in Halifax, as well as signing 2 guys from UNB and another from Moncton to play in the AHL.

They are the most heavily invested team in the league in that area. Even if you don’t count the WJAC where we saw all of Tychonik, JBD, and Crookshank play in Nova Scotia 5 times, they still have gone to the Maritime Division for 15% of our picks since 2015, which is extremely, extremely significant when it’s only a 6 team division.

Good point re Mann’s stomping ground.

To be clear I agree it’s not always drafted guys but we seem to always have some guys with local ties in the organisation. I also said guys with « local ties » not necessarily guys from here.

Using the local ties criteria and broadening it to acquisitions throughout the organisation over the last few years, you can add guys like Gudbranson, Abramov, Peca, Rippon, Andree, Labrie, Baptiste, Verronneau, Sexton, Blunden, Akeson, O’Dell, Fraser. I’m certainly not saying it’s a huge factor or even a significant factor in who they will draft but they clearly keep tabs on guys with local ties and if it’s close it might factor in.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They have also drafted a lot of Americans with no ties to Ottawa or traded for them, Tkachuk, Norris, Pinto, White, Dzingel, Watson, Kastelic & others not to mention all the Europeans they draft. I think they know the guys they are interested in & want in their range & they will either move up to get the guy they want or pick that guy much earlier than expected to assure they get him. We've seen them do both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad