WC: 2021 Czech Republic Roster Talk

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
He comes from a beautiful lost generation of guys like Hamrlik, Zidlicky, Spacek and Slegr. He can skate, he can PK, he can PP and he can eat 25 minutes a night.

I think people are 'sleeping on him' becuase he's in Detroit but watch, when Detroit gets good (I'd say soon) people will notice him a lot more.

Agreed, we have nothing like him. Jiricek looks very promising though. Svozil is now a 2nd rounder most likely. He's a bit more like Kaberle to my eye.

Agreed.. another Hronek type player and our best on best team would be pushing a 'Big 6' talk. Hopefully Kempny regains form for next season. In this dream scenario:

Hronek Kempny
Hronek Gudas
Simek Hajek
Rutta

it's as close as we've been to having a very competitive best on best team.. one good D away and maybe one more C. Need one of the goalies to catch fire.. we have a lot of them around the NHL next season.
And add Galvas to this mix :thumbu:
One of the best young defenders we have

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I agree, our euro goalies almost never light it up on WHC. I mean, they never really disappoint but also never really stand out. Salak, Kovar, Stepanek, Bartosak, Hrubec, even Francouz - usually it was pretty much the same story.. even if they have strong season in their clubs (usually in top of the KHL), their performance on WHC is almost never Cechmanek or Hnilicka-like. OK, probably it also has something to do with the team in front of them but still, makes you wonder a bit.
They usually always get praised after the tourney like "it would be much uglier without them" and I do not want to take anything from them, they really aren't usually the main reason we fail but I don't believe we would be on this no-medal streak for so long if we had someone like Vokoun in net in some of those years. We are in position when we desperately need above average goaltending but my feeling is that we usually always get "just" average.
As I remember, Furch in 2016 was really the only one who comes to my mind who truly was able to even steal some games.

That being said, I hope Hrubec is going to be stellar in the play-offs and make me feel like a fool after this post in the next days. It would really help.
Me too!

Your list is perfect... We always have a goalie that is the answer but all those guys failed. Without looking... I think in the last decade a Czech goalie has win eztraliga., Liiga, sel, khl and ahl. I know they don't suck. We need to send one to nla to make a point. I may be wrong as well on the titles.. but Hrubec for ahl, salak for self and bartosak for liiga. I could be dead wrong though. I know they've all had good seasons.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
And add Galvas to this mix :thumbu:
One of the best young defenders we have
When he got cut/injured I wasn't that upset... In retrospect... I would've loved to see him get some games in!

Kral is more like kaberle or svozil to my eye but he may make it.

Only one I'm positive on is jiricek. My fav Czech prospect that isn't drafted yet. Jenik is my fav non nhl one now that spacek is in sel.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Me too!

Your list is perfect... We always have a goalie that is the answer but all those guys failed. Without looking... I think in the last decade a Czech goalie has win eztraliga., Liiga, sel, khl and ahl. I know they don't suck. We need to send one to nla to make a point. I may be wrong as well on the titles.. but Hrubec for ahl, salak for self and bartosak for liiga. I could be dead wrong though. I know they've all had good seasons.

Yeah it's a bit werid we haven't seen more remarkable performance from them at least from time to time. And I don't want to be harsh on them, they are all great goalies and doing the best they can. As Voodoozz said, they were never the primary problem we got eliminated but saying it from the other way we also haven't achieved anything without strong goaltending.
However, the key issue here is that we haven't been able to send during all those years any NHL goalies because we just haven't had any. You could always feel the difference when NHL goalie with a good form arrived but sadly last time it was Pavelec in 2011.
I hope that this will change soon with Vladar, Dostal, Vanecek and hopefully some more guys establishing themselves in their NHL clubs and we'll see NHL goalies on our team more regularly.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yeah it's a bit werid we haven't seen more remarkable performance from them at least from time to time. And I don't want to be harsh on them, they are all great goalies and doing the best they can. As Voodoozz said, they were never the primary problem we got eliminated but saying it from the other way we also haven't achieved anything without strong goaltending.
However, the key issue here is that we haven't been able to send during all those years any NHL goalies because we just haven't had any. You could always feel the difference when NHL goalie with a good form arrived but sadly last time it was Pavelec in 2011.
I hope that this will change soon with Vladar, Dostal, Vanecek and hopefully some more guys establishing themselves in their NHL clubs and we'll see NHL goalies on our team more regularly.
I would've loved to see dostal, korenar or Vladar here. They tried. Not saying we would be better with them but it'd be a good idea to work them in.

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
I do t have a preference. In this tourney I think our team is 50-50 against either.

We struggle with north American teams and they have 2 very good goalies. In fact... I think their third goalie is better than Hrubec.

Finn's are defending champs and sisu... Always well coached.

Both will be a nailbiter.

Glad I don't have to suffer through slovak game tomorrow.

Who do you prefer?

Both Finland and the US are tough opponents. However, I think that Finland suits our game slightly better. I think it was you who mentioned our difficulty to match US/CAN in tournaments, there is certainly some truth to that statement.

In the meantime, I have seen that Finland is awaiting us now. I can see Finland coming out on top, however, at the same time I think that we've built some chemistry and momentum throughout some of our last periods, despite the fact that we haven't really shown that throughout an entire game yet.

At the end of the day, it's the QF of the WC and as usual, only one game decides the final outcome. Pesan has already reached the minimum goal and I think he is on the safe side now - good for him as our qualification was a nailbiter until the end.

Historically, if the Czechs have performed, it was always when they were under high pressure and when the stakes were high (e.g. WC 2010). So let's hope for the best!

As usual, I'll be rooting like a lunatic! This time however, from vacation. :thumbu:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Both Finland and the US are tough opponents. However, I think that Finland suits our game slightly better. I think it was you who mentioned our difficulty to match US/CAN in tournaments, there is certainly some truth to that statement.

In the meantime, I have seen that Finland is awaiting us now. I can see Finland coming out on top, however, at the same time I think that we've built some chemistry and momentum throughout some of our last periods, despite the fact that we haven't really shown that throughout an entire game yet.

At the end of the day, it's the QF of the WC and as usual, only one game decides the final outcome. Pesan has already reached the minimum goal and I think he is on the safe side now - good for him as our qualification was a nailbiter until the end.

Historically, if the Czechs have performed, it was always when they were under high pressure and when the stakes were high (e.g. WC 2010). So let's hope for the best!

As usual, I'll be rooting like a lunatic! This time however, from vacation. :thumbu:
I'm always of 2010 and 2011... 2011 we were stacked and only lost one game... Bronze.

I think it's better to have adversity early and see who comes through and how the team gels. Our loss to Russia was of a mistake we probalby won't see again. Our demolition by the Swiss was an ideal team to get demolished to be honest and hopefully the players remember that taking penalties is bad. Since then, most the games have been a battle. It took us 40 minutes to tie up against Denmark. We had a goal disallowed and still won. Belarus went to shootout.

So it may sound crazy but I think all these 'bumps' are to our advantage. We know we can come from behind. WE know we can hang with anyone. We know who our leaders are. Adversity is definitely something we've been good with. That third period against the Swedes was a mini miracle in itself.

I do think our PK will tighten up a bit as I expect a lot more shot blocking.

I say this at every tournament from U18 to here... rarely is heart an issue. Czechs always go like hell and give it their best IMO. This time we have heart, adversity and some skill.

I'm nervous as hell!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
We may win but going with a totally different lineup is just stupid. I'm fine with Radil in and Zohorna.. not bad. I'm okay with A. Musil as well but I think he used the Slovak game and that was stupid.

Flek in top 6 is a stupid idea... they're not giving Zadina enough to work with. He's thinned our offence substantally.

Only line with a better chance of scoring is the 4th line while weaking the first 3 lines.

What did he keep together exactly? Hronek and Musil? Thats about it.

I'm so mad.

However, I cheer to the end and time for a beer!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
upload_2021-6-3_15-55-2.png

Imagine benching that guy and getting shutout? I am a Pesan fan but he out chessed himself in this one. I said it before the game but he completely f***ed with any chemistry and removed all offence for guys that can't score.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm not saying this to be a dick, but our Semi would've been against Germany.. .Swiss and Russia and Sweden were gone! What a f***en blown opportunity!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Listening to Pesan on CT24.. he quotes the Slovak game. A f***en menaingless friendly against an opponent NOTHING like Finland to determine we are awesome and can score 7 goals.

Spacek.. you're out
Sekac.. you're out
Flek.. you get top 6 minutes which you probably don't get in the Extraliga
Chytil.. f*** you, 3rd line

Hanzl.. you're not a top 6 player but we're goin gto play you.
Musil.. healthy scratch.. you're in!

This is a Pesan loss (not to take away from Finland in anyway).. he f***ed it up and outsmarted himself.

Such a blown opportunity.

Reactions: Faterson

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Hrubec for his 5th straight game left me thinking 'one more save'.

I heard he got 5 shutouts on the way to the Gargarin Cup... who the hell were the D? I'm assuming Larionov, Fetisov and Kazaatonov.lol

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Listening to Pesan on CT24.. he quotes the Slovak game. A f***en menaingless friendly against an opponent NOTHING like Finland to determine we are awesome and can score 7 goals.

Spacek.. you're out
Sekac.. you're out
Flek.. you get top 6 minutes which you probably don't get in the Extraliga
Chytil.. f*** you, 3rd line

Hanzl.. you're not a top 6 player but we're goin gto play you.
Musil.. healthy scratch.. you're in!

This is a Pesan loss (not to take away from Finland in anyway).. he f***ed it up and outsmarted himself.

Such a blown opportunity.

Sometimes the Swedish coach approach to do nothing is the best approach ;)

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
I agree, what a blown opportunity.

Our engine was never really running at this WC, even though we had quite an okay roster compared to the other nations' roster. It's really disappointing to see the potential on our team go to waste like that because there are teams at the WC that manage to play very disciplined, structured and competitive hockey with by far weaker players on paper (e.g. Germany's performance today). At some point it just gets tiresome watching those passes not connect, players floating around and an overall team that just looks completely confused and stripped of identity.

Still, I want to end this years chapter on a positive note:

Hronek has been really outstanding, certainly our best player of this WC in my opinion. I cannot stress how important he will be for any potential success that we want to dream of at the OG 22'. As a defender he looked more dangerous than most forwards at times. Wow!

Flek impressed me with his skating and his fighting spirit, one of the few players who really deserved their spot on that team.

Kubalik and Vrana had some interesting moments, but nothing spectacular.

The rest, meh...

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I agree, what a blown opportunity.

Our engine was never really running at this WC, even though we had quite an okay roster compared to the other nations' roster. It's really disappointing to see the potential on our team go to waste like that because there are teams at the WC that manage to play very disciplined, structured and competitive hockey with by far weaker players on paper (e.g. Germany's performance today). At some point it just gets tiresome watching those passes not connect, players floating around and an overall team that just looks completely confused and stripped of identity.

Still, I want to end this years chapter on a positive note:

Hronek has been really outstanding, certainly our best player of this WC in my opinion. I cannot stress how important he will be for any potential success that we want to dream of at the OG 22'. As a defender he looked more dangerous than most forwards at times. Wow!

Flek impressed me with his skating and his fighting spirit, one of the few players who really deserved their spot on that team.

Kubalik and Vrana had some interesting moments, but nothing spectacular.

The rest, meh...

For me it was Spacek, Zadina, Kubalik, Kovar, Chytil and Hronek who stood out. They were great! Vrana left a little to be desired.

Flek was a great 4th liner but has no business in top 6. HIs mother would tell you that.lol

I just can't get over how many games we played and then approached the quarters with brand new combos. Is that not what the EHT is all about? We had zero injuries so it's not like 'bad luck' was a problem.

I loved the team and enjoyed the tourney. Maybe we would've lost to the Finns regardless... but the second I saw the lineup before the game I lost my mind. Nothing changed my mind after the game.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Now the next fear is that Pesan wil use this to make an Olympic roster...

Hrubec was great, let's cut an NHL goalie (we will have 6 to choose from)
Kovar is amazing... let's cut an NHL C (we ahve about 8 of those)
Vrana wasn't good enough, let's cut him for Flek!
Hajek sucked.. let's bring in Moravcik.

It sounds like sarcasm but wait till it happens.

It should be an all NHL team with Voracek as the captain. I love Kovar but he's not a good 4C and I don't want him bumping Hertl or Krejci to bottom 6. I'm fine with Zacha, Chytil, Faksa in my bottom 6 as the C's.

big strong team... is Necas still considered a C?

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
For me it was Spacek, Zadina, Kubalik, Kovar, Chytil and Hronek who stood out. They were great! Vrana left a little to be desired.

Flek was a great 4th liner but has no business in top 6. HIs mother would tell you that.lol

I just can't get over how many games we played and then approached the quarters with brand new combos. Is that not what the EHT is all about? We had zero injuries so it's not like 'bad luck' was a problem.

I loved the team and enjoyed the tourney. Maybe we would've lost to the Finns regardless... but the second I saw the lineup before the game I lost my mind. Nothing changed my mind after the game.

I wouldn't put him on 1st line as well, but at the end of the day you need players on your NT who play their hearts out and he does exactly that. Dedication and determination are valuable too. As far as mothers go, I would never dare to disagree :laugh:

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Our center and defenders depth is terrible. We have only several good wingers. Sorry, but Kovar is not first line center for medal contender. Maybe for this year when all the teams look somehow weak on paper, but otherwise, we suck. Sorry for negative comment

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Our center and defenders depth is terrible. We have only several good wingers. Sorry, but Kovar is not first line center for medal contender. Maybe for this year when all the teams look somehow weak on paper, but otherwise, we suck. Sorry for negative comment
I agree BUT

Kovar for this tourney is good.

So is Chytil

So is Zohorna

So is Hanzl

My fear is that we cut big NHL Cs for guys like Kovar and Zohorna. FTR.. splitting up the Zohorna's and cutting one also seems to be Pesan outhinking himself.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I wouldn't put him on 1st line as well, but at the end of the day you need players on your NT who play their hearts out and he does exactly that. Dedication and determination are valuable too. As far as mothers go, I would never dare to disagree :laugh:
You do.. he skates like hell and coahces love him.

He played in top 6.. what was his best moment?

The previous 7 games he had a ten bell chance every game.. it's becuase he is a brilliant 4th liner. I'm not saying this to be mean. It's where he belongs. Top 6 in Euro leagues and bottom 6 for us. We benched Spacek and put him in top 6 and didn't score a goal. I need therapy after that move.

Last tourney.. Riha cut Zadina, benched Vrana and benched Chytil for the Zohorna's. This keeps happening.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Sorry... by big C's... I mean big tall dudes that play in the NHL against NHL players

Nosek, Faksa, ZAcha, Chytil, Necas... a few of these guys will get cut for Kovar. I love Kovar but I'm saying it now, not at the Olympics.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
I agree BUT

Kovar for this tourney is good.

So is Chytil

So is Zohorna

So is Hanzl

My fear is that we cut big NHL Cs for guys like Kovar and Zohorna. FTR.. splitting up the Zohorna's and cutting one also seems to be Pesan outhinking himself.

Hi friend, I have one question... will Pesan throw himself out?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Hi friend, I have one question... will Pesan throw himself out?
I like Pesan.. that's the worst part.

I just think he got overwhelmed and f***ed up the line combos.. I said it before the game.

What bugs me is that the Swiss and Finns can show up and IMMEDIATELY know what to do and have a system. Do we have a system? We used to but what is it now?

I know I'm shitting on Pesan but it's because he was stupid today, in general, I like him. This loss is on him though.

He had 8 exhibition games to get us ready.. he had nice lins like Lenc/Stansky/Spacek and then cut Spacek of those 3? That's cocaine... I can't think of another reason.lol

Same with Flek and Smejkal.. such a beautiful 4th line pair.. sorry, can't remember who the third guy was.

Same with Sekac who was snakebiten but he was tilting the ice the other way and creating chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad