WC: 2021 Czech Republic Roster Talk

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
FTR.. I thoguht we played really well. It's a shame we didn't score but we controlled that entire game.

Didn't like Klok very much today.

Still think Hrubec needs to be better (he got anhilated in that shootout).

Our PK is not good. Didn't look good today, didn't look good against GB either.

Loving Kovar and our big boys. Love that 4th line!

Reactions: czechmate

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
View attachment 441173

Well, here we are.lol

Danes are out and can't catch us. Down to the Swedes and Slovaks. If Russia wins in regulation the drama is over and we play Slovakia for placement only which would be nice. If Sweden wins clean then our game tomorrow is going to be have a LOT of stakes to it. Even an OT win for Swedes puts Czechs in a bad situation.

ROC could also win in OT against SWE for CZE and SVK to qualify - if I'm not mistaken?!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
upload_2021-5-31_12-14-6.png

ROC could also win in OT against SWE for CZE and SVK to qualify - if I'm not mistaken?!
Correct any Russian win advances us and Slovakia. Any Swedish win makes tomorrow stressful... especially for us as they'd have 11 or 12 points which would mean we need to get to OT at the very least.

I don't think the Swedes like that they can be eliminated by a Czech split.lol Eg. even if they win clean.. it we beat Slovakia in OT... they'd still be eliminated.

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
View attachment 441180

Correct any Russian win advances us and Slovakia. Any Swedish win makes tomorrow stressful... especially for us as they'd have 11 or 12 points which would mean we need to get to OT at the very least.

I don't think the Swedes like that they can be eliminated by a Czech split.lol Eg. even if they win clean.. it we beat Slovakia in OT... they'd still be eliminated.

That would be quite harsh :laugh:

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
It's no news but the more I watch him I just must say that Hronek really is a fantastic defender, such a key player for us. No other czech defender is even close to him, and not just on this tourney. He's something what Kaberle or Zidlicky used to be in NT in terms of importance level.
Also, I know he's no formal captain of the team but to me sometimes it feels like it is his team on the ice. Hopefully, he'll be a great C in the coming years as well.

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
It's no news but the more I watch him I just must say that Hronek really is a fantastic defender, such a key player for us. No other czech defender is even close to him, and not just on this tourney. He's something what Kaberle or Zidlicky used to be in NT in terms of importance level.
Also, I know he's no formal captain of the team but to me sometimes it feels like it is his team on the ice. Hopefully, he'll be a great C in the coming years as well.
Completely agree, such a dominant force on the european ice. As expected, he has been our best player by far. Give me 5 more Hroneks and the Czechs become a competitive team best on best.
Fun fact: Hronek is second only to Tomas Kaberle in points per game by Czech defenseman (0,75 vs 0,84) at WC.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
He comes from a beautiful lost generation of guys like Hamrlik, Zidlicky, Spacek and Slegr. He can skate, he can PK, he can PP and he can eat 25 minutes a night.

I think people are 'sleeping on him' becuase he's in Detroit but watch, when Detroit gets good (I'd say soon) people will notice him a lot more.

Agreed, we have nothing like him. Jiricek looks very promising though. Svozil is now a 2nd rounder most likely. He's a bit more like Kaberle to my eye.

Agreed.. another Hronek type player and our best on best team would be pushing a 'Big 6' talk. Hopefully Kempny regains form for next season. In this dream scenario:

Hronek Kempny
Hronek Gudas
Simek Hajek
Rutta

it's as close as we've been to having a very competitive best on best team.. one good D away and maybe one more C. Need one of the goalies to catch fire.. we have a lot of them around the NHL next season.

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016

100% agreed.

Hronek is such a treat to watch out there and a balm for every Czech hockey fan's soul. It clearly shows that he has improved by watching the last few games - he almost feels like an additional forward at times :laugh:.

I'm not astonished by that development though, just have a look at the ice time that he logs in Detroit.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
I was looking at TOI vs Denmark and Hronek played over 33 minutes, more than half of the game. 9 more minutes than any other Czech player and 16 more than our next defenseman. That tells you how much he is important to us.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
We are in the quarters!

Think we are playing a friendly tomorrow as our opponent looks to be a strong us or strong Finnish team

Woohoo!

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
We are in the quarters!

Think we are playing a friendly tomorrow as our opponent looks to be a strong us or strong Finnish team

Woohoo!

So, who do we prefer as opponent in our QF? Haven't seen both teams play yet...

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I expect the coaches to give Vrána with his injured shoulder and Hronek who has been playing tons of minutes so far some rest tomorrow. Now it will be all about the QF game (vs the US or Finland).

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
So, who do we prefer as opponent in our QF? Haven't seen both teams play yet...
I do t have a preference. In this tourney I think our team is 50-50 against either.

We struggle with north American teams and they have 2 very good goalies. In fact... I think their third goalie is better than Hrubec.

Finn's are defending champs and sisu... Always well coached.

Both will be a nailbiter.

Glad I don't have to suffer through slovak game tomorrow.

Who do you prefer?

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
My guess is Finland.
USA beat Italy, We beat Slovakia and Canada (in must win situation) beat Finland, that's my guess.
We even have good record againts Finland on WC, from 2010 it's 4 - 1 for us (if I counted right).
But it will be USA, like always. USA as our quartefinal opponent is our destiny :DD

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
My guess is Finland.
USA beat Italy, We beat Slovakia and Canada (in must win situation) beat Finland, that's my guess.
We even have good record againts Finland on WC, from 2010 it's 4 - 1 for us (if I counted right).
But it will be USA, like always. USA as our quartefinal opponent is our destiny :DD
Classic kick in the nuts or punch to the face.

Having said that... I would not be surprised if we lost quarter or won gold. I like our roster and our team and think we can beat anyone. Of course... We can also lose to everyone.lol

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Neat stat.. barring a 7 goal game from Germany this afternoon we finished the round robin tied for 1st with 27 goals! Swiss also scored 27 goals. The next 2 teams with 22 goals were Russia and Kazakhistan!!!!

5 game winning streak heading to a very tough quarter with Finland. I've got it at 50-50 and a very stressful Thursday in this tourney.

Curious what the final lineup will be. I want Zadina back on first line with Kovar and Kubalik. Vrana on second line with Chytil and Sekac. I enjoy Spacek at 3C with PP time. Our 4th line is perfect!

Not sure if I'd rather Blumel or Zohorna? I feel like Zohorna is a safer bet with experience and can take some faceoffs.

Hronek and Musil need to stay together.

No Moravcik please! I like Klok but he worries me at times with silly plays.

I'm fine with Hrubec in net but he needs to play better.. he's bottom 5 in save percentage in a 16 team tournament. Every game I keep thinking one more save and he has gotten beat clean a lot (eg. didn't move and back of net). I know he won the KHL but I'm wondering what kind of D he had in front of him?

Rest of our D is a mishmash... I prefer Sustr in. Fine with Sklenicka, Klok, Hajek and Sulak. Prefer Sulak on 3rd pair and 2nd PP. Want Hajek on 2nd pair.

Our PK is our biggest concern to me. However, in an elimination game I expect more guys to lie down and block some shots.

I think this team has good potential and I love the roster.. it's as goood a chance as we've had in a decade to medal! Of course, Finns are defending gold medalists and very good at this hockey thing.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
upload_2021-6-1_12-10-49.png

Here is the 2 or more points club (sorry Blumel). We finished tied for the most goals but didn't have a guy in the top 10. I think that is great! Finns can't key in and shutdown a guy or a line. We are pretty well balanced. Eg. If the first line gets shutdown we still have some nice options to get some points for us.

Spacek with 5 points is great secondary scoring. Our D did really well with Sulak and Hronek both getting 4 points. Moravcik, Klok and Hajek with 3 points.

I think our most under rated has been Hanzl! He's been amazing at faceoffs and keeps contributing secondary scoring.

Flek is good for 2 good chances a game, as is Sekac. Maybe todays goal gives Stransky a little jump.

To me, our most valuable player in round robin was Hronek.

Reactions: Voodoozz

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
This isn't as good and worries me a bit:

View attachment 441820

I agree, our euro goalies almost never light it up on WHC. I mean, they never really disappoint but also never really stand out. Salak, Kovar, Stepanek, Bartosak, Hrubec, even Francouz - usually it was pretty much the same story.. even if they have strong season in their clubs (usually in top of the KHL), their performance on WHC is almost never Cechmanek or Hnilicka-like. OK, probably it also has something to do with the team in front of them but still, makes you wonder a bit.
They usually always get praised after the tourney like "it would be much uglier without them" and I do not want to take anything from them, they really aren't usually the main reason we fail but I don't believe we would be on this no-medal streak for so long if we had someone like Vokoun in net in some of those years. We are in position when we desperately need above average goaltending but my feeling is that we usually always get "just" average.
As I remember, Furch in 2016 was really the only one who comes to my mind who truly was able to even steal some games.

That being said, I hope Hrubec is going to be stellar in the play-offs and make me feel like a fool after this post in the next days. It would really help.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Have we lost a QF/SF in recent years because of bad goaltending though ? I don't think so, it was about lack of goalscoring every single time.
Have we lost because of goaltending recently? Maybe not but we also haven't won because of it. No medal in a decade and no great goalie performance. The danish goalie kept them alive and almost stole one yesterday for instance. The last 2 great goalie performances were dostal and mrazek at WJHC. Last one at senior was vokoun. Francouz was good at Olympics but got leaky in semis and bronze.

Most our golds are backed by a very strong goalie performance. Only country that can routinely win without top notch goaltending is probably Canada.

Don't get me wrong... Hrubec is my choice and I hope he is stellar but when you see he is under 900 after round robin and 17th... That is poor given we led tourney in goals and have won 5 straight. I understand when our junior goalies get lit up because we are nowhere near the big 5 in quality. However... Here I think we are quite completive and have a good team.

Again... I hope he is in net... I get he is good and I'm not complaining but I'd like one more stop. It seems like every goal is described as he had no chance but I'm seeing a lot of pucks hit the net clean. I can't think of any major saves? He basically stops routine shots. So far.

If I were to say our two weak spots... It's our PK and a sub .900 goalie on a winning team.

I could be way off though. I will cheer to the end which I hope is Sunday.

Reactions: Voodoozz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad