Recalled/Assigned: 2021 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndmd99

Apr 9, 2018
Sakic can sign those players, but they ultimately lose their eligibility to finish their hockey careers the exact moment they are signed. Which is one of the main reasons you never see an NCAA player sign until the end of their season. CHL players can be recovered on emergency loans, but that loan is only for a very specific amount of time.

Unless ND wins the B10 tourney, their season is likely done in a week. We probably find out soon after about Leivermann.

Reactions: Brett44

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Unless ND wins the B10 tourney, their season is likely done in a week. We probably find out soon after about Leivermann.
That's true, but I hopefully Avs don't sign either player this offseason. Helleson has had a fantastic season, but he needs another year to build upon all those tools he developed this year (he's still really raw and has consistency issues). Leivermann is a 7th round pick who might be a nice find for the Avs, but he got an absurd amount of his points on the PP. I would risk his senior year at Notre Dame as a potential UFA so he can build his strength and even strength more.

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
That's true, but I hopefully Avs don't sign either player this offseason. Helleson has had a fantastic season, but he needs another year to build upon all those tools he developed this year (he's still really raw and has consistency issues). Leivermann is a 7th round pick who might be a nice find for the Avs, but he got an absurd amount of his points on the PP. I would risk his senior year at Notre Dame as a potential UFA so he can build his strength and even strength more.
10 points at even strength vs. 7 power-play points doesn't seem like that bad of a ratio to me. Especially on an offensively challenged ND team.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
With all the injuries among defenders in the organization can Sakic sign Helleson and even Lievermann?

Neither would bring enough to the table to be worth burning a year of ELC. Let these guys marinate another year in the NCAA. The Avs are going to need a lot of ELC on the bottom O and D lines, starting next year.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Neither would bring enough to the table to be worth burning a year of ELC. Let these guys marinate another year in the NCAA. The Avs are going to need a lot of ELC on the bottom O and D lines, starting next year.
My ask was for Eagles not Avs. Strenght can be develop also in ahl.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
My ask was for Eagles not Avs. Strenght can be develop also in ahl.

Both players mentioned will be over 19 ( 20 and 22 respectively) after the season, meaning that they burn a years of ELC as it relates to the Avs. Leiverrman might not matter, as he will need a few years in the AHL. In theory, Helleson should be playing in the NHL 2 years from now and the team will need every day of his ELC with all the large contracts.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Not sure why folks believe they’ll be forced to use ELCs in the coming years. AHL vets are easy to find and are cheaper than ELCs. Only 750k for Sherwood and MacDonald!

If anyone turns pro in the coming weeks they could go to the Eagles on a tryout agreement and sign the ELC for 2021-22.

I wouldn’t use production as a means to judge anyone’s readiness to move to the next level. Obviously some helps and is necessary but often in a lot of cases there’s also a ceiling on production due to circumstance, team and role. I think Leivermann can play pro, he was drafted in 2017 and he was an overage pick (by like a day but he still was). If they are serious about him now is the time to move him along especially with the AHL season extended into May could give these guys an opportunity for nearly two months of pro vs. going home and doing nothing.

Last edited:

ndmd99

Apr 9, 2018
Not sure why folks believe they’ll be forced to use ELCs in the coming years. AHL vets are easy to find and are cheaper than ELCs. Only 750k for Sherwood and MacDonald!

If anyone turns pro in the coming weeks they could go to the Eagles on a tryout agreement and sign the ELC for 2021-22.

I wouldn’t use production as a means to judge anyone’s readiness to move to the next level. Obviously some helps and is necessary but often in a lot of cases there’s also a ceiling on production due to circumstance, team and role. I think Leivermann can play pro, he was drafted in 2017 and he was an overage pick (by like a day but he still was). If they are serious about him now is the time to move him along especially with the AHL season extended into May could give these guys an opportunity for nearly two months of pro vs. going home and doing nothing.

Agreed. He's not NHL-ready now (and may never be). But if the Avs think he is a good fit, think they need to sign him this year. If they wait until next year, I think he'd might lean towards signing elsewhere due to the young prospects ahead of him in the Avs system.

That being said, he's far from a guaranteed NHL player so I won't lose too much sleep if they don't sign him. If it look like he won't sign with the Avs (but is open to signing with another team that doesn't have Makar/Byram/G/Helleson/Barron) I could even see him having a little value on the trade market equivalent to a mid-round draft pick.

I wouldn't worry too much about Leivermann's even-strength scoring. Outside of their top line, ND really struggles offensively and has trouble scoring. I am a little surprised Leivermann didn't have another 3-4 goals. He's averaging 3.4 SOG/game. And unlike Rolston, he's usually generating some pretty good scoring chances . And he leads ND with a +12. Not a great stat to use, but may have some more value since Jeff Jackson doesn't play his defensemen situationally much.

I still think Joe should push to sign Alex Steeves next week. Think he'd be a great fit for Avs system. Very good 200 ft player that can score. Think he has more NHL potential than Leivermann in a bottom-6 role. And he played with Cal Burke last year...so maybe they want to re-unite on the Eagles.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think Leivermann is up there in D scoring in the Big10, he was tied at one point and is like one point back now. So offense is something I think he’s improved upon a lot.

They have so many of their own to sign I don’t see going after any NCAA FAs.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm fairly agnostic on Leivermann signing this year or next. He could make a run at some hardware (not national, but Big Ten) if he sticks around college and will get prime minutes at a good level. He's played well this year and legitimately has some talent... he's a real longshot to the NHL no matter when he turns pro. Probably a longer shot with the Avs given the depth. There are at least 4 guys who should be here for the next 3-4 seasons. 1-2 more who could legitimately stick around. Then 3 or 4 more prospects who are better talents than him. Signing him this year to an ATO then next year to an elc could give him a head start over Helleson/Zhura... but that won't make a significant difference in him as a prospect. If he becomes a solid top 4 AHL guy, that would be good.

If I was advising him, I'd tell him to stay for his senior year then demand a burned year to sign with the Avs next spring. If that doesn't work, head to Sweden or Switzerland. He's a great fit for a Euro team and when he eventually ends up over there, he's going to do quite well. A few years there and an NHL team will eventually take a shot on him.

Reactions: Richard88

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’d like to get a look at Bowers this season, but there’s nothing wrong with slow-cooking prospects that aren’t elite.

The great Red Wings teams for years let prospects sit in the AHL for 4-5 years. If you trust your development staff you can bring these guys along effectively at slow pace.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I’d like to get a look at Bowers this season, but there’s nothing wrong with slow-cooking prospects that aren’t elite.

The great Red Wings teams for years let prospects sit in the AHL for 4-5 years. If you trust your development staff you can bring these guys along effectively at slow pace.
Even they have followed the experience by second year pro, graduated by third year pro mantra for a good while.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
It’s a different world now. Even if you believe it works the waiver exemption is up in 3 years regardless.
Yeah, back then there wasn't a cap ceiling so contenders weren't under as much pressure to get guys on ELC's into the lineup quickly. Completely different playing field.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I would use different examples than those two since they're some of the best NHL depth you can find. Just look at how good MacDonald has played with the Avs?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, back then there wasn't a cap ceiling so contenders weren't under as much pressure to get guys on ELC's into the lineup quickly. Completely different playing field.

The cap isn't the big change, re-entry waivers is. It used to be that players had to be stuck down in the AHL. Red Wings (and others) used to have to park some players down to avoid losing them on re-entry. Now with re-entry gone since 2013, it has opened up that movement a bit.

There is no one size fits all for each player and each team. Prospects should be elevated on a schedule that fits with where they are. The Avs have been very quick about bringing up players when they are ready, but MacK is different than Byram who is different than Timmins who is different than Kaut. Can't treat them all the same and expect it to work.

Reactions: Richard88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad