Recalled/Assigned: 2021 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
So he's been moved from RW to LW. Sounds like the Avs might be planning on him being a winger instead of a center.
If that's what they're planning they have no reason to not trade for a 3C even if there's term. Eg. Backlund.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Mikko played everything but RW in the AHL so you can’t go by that. However since the “get them playing” excuse has run its course then it’s pretty clear they don’t take Bowers as a serious option anyway.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Mikko played everything but RW in the AHL so you can’t go by that. However since the “get them playing” excuse has run its course then it’s pretty clear they don’t take Bowers as a serious option anyway.

Mikko played RW there too. He was around the forward positions a lot and finished with a run at center.

What is with the hostility on Bowers here? He'll get his chance if he earns it. You said the same thing on Timmins and he's getting plenty of rope and run now. And questioned their commitment to Byram a lot, he's also getting his run and they moved a solid defensemen to get him in the lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perratrooper

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I said they needed to make a commitment to Byram, which they have. What happens with a fourth overall can’t be extrapolated to how they handle everyone else.

Bowers has earned it and he’s the only 2017 first rounder yet to see a game. Second year pro is massively important to transitioning to a graduated prospect. Bowers and Timmins have the same amount of pro experience and should be in the same boat as far as opportunity.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I said they needed to make a commitment to Byram, which they have. What happens with a fourth overall can’t be extrapolated to how they handle everyone else.

Bowers has earned it and he’s the only 2017 first rounder yet to see a game. Second year pro is massively important to transitioning to a graduated prospect. Bowers and Timmins have the same amount of pro experience and should be in the same boat as far as opportunity.

So exclude Byram... Timmins is a similar situation. A young, not elite level prospect that has gotten a role.. one that was doubted if he'd get the run. The Avs have actually gone on the other side and cleared space for prospects and given them more opportunities.

Timmins is a year older and may not have the experience due to injuries, but has been around the pro club two years prior to this season and Bowers only one. With that though, Bowers still has potential to draw from and develop. He's going to get a chance at some point, it is just a matter of time. I agree that a 2nd year pro year is an important year, and if he is to develop at center, he needs to play that position. If the Avs/Eagles are going to just keep him at wing, then let him get his legs for 10-15 games then give him a taste. If he is going to get run at center, he needs a longer run in the AHL to see if he can impact both ends of the ice at that position. More than that though, as a 2nd year pro, they need games. Taxi squad and only playing 3-4-5 games isn't going to help him. He needs to play, and he is now.

Yeah he's the only 1st rounder to not get a NHL game... but picks 33, 35, and 37 are all waiting for their NHL games too and were in the same range. More than that, of the 1st rounders that have played 8 of them are less than 20 games. 5 more are in the 20s for games. That just isn't a significant difference. If at the end of next year he's still not getting games and he's playing well in the AHL... then there is clearly something wrong. Until that point, be patient and give it time.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think it’s about time to bring Bowers up personally. Not because he’s too good for the AHL or anything. Because at this point I don’t think there’s any point in trying to gain any more offensive polish. He’s likely never going to be a big producer anyway but he does have a bottom six skill set.

Rather than forcing him to try to learn how to score in the AHL, let’s let him play to his strengths in the bottom 6 of the NHL and at least see if he makes an impact. Bellemare shouldn’t be playing every night. Get Bowers into a few games on the wing on the fourth line and have Jost centre it.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I think it’s about time to bring Bowers up personally. Not because he’s too good for the AHL or anything. Because at this point I don’t think there’s any point in trying to gain any more offensive polish. He’s likely never going to be a big producer anyway but he does have a bottom six skill set.

Rather than forcing him to try to learn how to score in the AHL, let’s let him play to his strengths in the bottom 6 of the NHL and at least see if he makes an impact. Bellemare shouldn’t be playing every night. Get Bowers into a few games on the wing on the fourth line and have Jost centre it.
Jost and Compher are a combined 33% on PK faceoffs this season. Bellemare is winning 65% on the PK. Unless we get a 3C who can win draws that's a pretty good reason to play Bellemare.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Jost and Compher are a combined 33% on PK faceoffs this season. Bellemare is winning 65% on the PK. Unless we get a 3C who can win draws that's a pretty good reason to play Bellemare.
That’s completely unsustainable and not a reason to play him. Prior to this year his best single season pk faceoff percentage is 45%. It’s great that he’s winning them this year but it’s not going to stay like that. He has won 15 faceoffs on the pk this year so the sample size is ridiculously low.

FTR I would never look at “PK faceoff percentage” as a stat to base things off. They’re always going to be more heavily adjusted to favor the PP team as they have an extra body which means they should always win on any faceoff tie ups. For some perspective, since his third year in the NHL Patrice Bergeron has never had a 5v5 faceoff percentage less than 56%. However in the same time frame he has below 50% on the PK 3 times and only reached 56% twice.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
That’s completely unsustainable and not a reason to play him. Prior to this year his best single season pk faceoff percentage is 45%. It’s great that he’s winning them this year but it’s not going to stay like that. He has won 15 faceoffs on the pk this year so the sample size is ridiculously low.

FTR I would never look at “PK faceoff percentage” as a stat to base things off. They’re always going to be more heavily adjusted to favor the PP team as they have an extra body which means they should always win on any faceoff tie ups. For some perspective, since his third year in the NHL Patrice Bergeron has never had a 5v5 faceoff percentage less than 56%. However in the same time frame he has below 50% on the PK 3 times and only reached 56% twice.
Those are some valid points you've raised. Please proceed to call up Bowers.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I cannot express how well Foudy has played. It’s not just the points, it’s the poise with the puck he has. He’s winning battles, holding the puck in traffic and making smart plays. Defensively he’s been fine enough but probably where he can improve the most. He’s in a real role too, they even waded Kaut and Bowers in last year. He’s doing more than at 18 you just hope he keeps up and learns stuff, he’s one of their impact players.

He has the primary assist on both of these I believe.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I cannot express how well Foudy has played. It’s not just the points, it’s the poise with the puck he has. He’s winning battles, holding the puck in traffic and making smart plays. Defensively he’s been fine enough but probably where he can improve the most. He’s in a real role too, they even waded Kaut and Bowers in last year. He’s doing more than at 18 you just hope he keeps up and learns stuff, he’s one of their impact players.

He has the primary assist on both of these I believe.

Awesome. Hope he finds his way into the WJC roster next year.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Foudy has impressed me in the games I watched. He's always one of the fastest skaters in the game. I really like how he uses his speed defensively to backcheck and forecheck. I hope the OHL cancels the season so he can stay the Eagles. It would suck from him to have to go back and play lessor competition when he's showing so well at this level.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Foudy has impressed me in the games I watched. He's always one of the fastest skaters in the game. I really like how he uses his speed defensively to backcheck and forecheck. I hope the OHL cancels the season so he can stay the Eagles. It would suck from him to have to go back and play lessor competition when he's showing so well at this level.
Next year it will suck when he has to go back there too lol

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Do the avs have something here? I’ve heard some good things about his time in the ahl from y’all.
He’s looked good, idk what they do. I don’t think they had any intention of signing Miner and Cronin basically said they really didn’t plan on playing him but you have to think about it. My guess tho is he gets a AHL deal and go from there.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Think we’re getting ahead of ourselves with Foudy. He was my favourite player of this Avs draft (and many others as well), but there is still be plenty of developmental room in the OHL.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Think we’re getting ahead of ourselves with Foudy. He was my favourite player of this Avs draft (and many others as well), but there is still be plenty of developmental room in the OHL.
This and the fact that COVID has essentially diluted the AHL talent pool (top AHL players on NHL taxi squads, more juniors plugging gaps due to limited CHL) makes it hard to read how good a junior player is doing there.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

He can certainly learn things at lower levels. He's never been a consistent player and has always had big time flashes of potential... but never fully applied it. He also still has a skill set that could be used at center if a longer route is taken. Never having fully played the position for long periods of time, he'd have to go the PLD route and some patience. What I think people are seeing is that his skill set has the ability to make impacts up the levels. His skating and hands are NHL level right now, he's just raw elsewhere.

This and the fact that COVID has essentially diluted the AHL talent pool (top AHL players on NHL taxi squads, more juniors plugging gaps due to limited CHL) makes it hard to read how good a junior player is doing there.

Yeah the AHL has been a pretty rough league to watch this year. A noticeable step back from last season in quality. Certainly still a top 5 league in the world though.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Just saw that Ty Lewis got bumped down to Utah.

A shame that didn't work out. I was kinda hoping for at least a serviceable tweener type, maybe along the lines of what Grimaldi became in Nashville, but alas...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad