WJC: 2021 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
A bit disappointed that Bordeleau and Sanderson aren’t on the roster since they didn’t get locked into the US due to the cancellation of the U18’s, but we’ll never know if they made an attempt.
I guess Perreault makes up for it though.

Nice to see Wright there too.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lafreniere-Cozens-Mercer
Newhook-Byfield-Beckman
Perfetti-McMichael-Tomasino
Poulin-Krebs-Pelletier
Wright

Byram-Drysdale
Harley-Spence
Robertson-Schneider
O'Rourke

Bochu
Cossa
Gauthier

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Interesting that Wright is invited. I'm somewhat surprised that Poirier wasn't one of the defencemen listed. Lots of good players listed regardless. Let's hope that the tournament is played and that Hockey Canada doesn't forget its roots.

Reactions: Dominance

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
A bit disappointed that Bordeleau and Sanderson aren’t on the roster since they didn’t get locked into the US due to the cancellation of the U18’s, but we’ll never know if they made an attempt.
I guess Perreault makes up for it though.

Nice to see Wright there too.

Do you really think Canada could poach two guys from the USNTDP? I mean, Sanderson is the captain! Lol.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
fingers still crossed the NHL is on ice until the new year and we get a Dream Team U20 tournament.

nice to see Wright get the invite. as good as he is, I have little expectation he makes the final roster.

but nice to see Hockey Canada discard silly bureaucratic rules in these challenging times.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Do you really think Canada could poach two guys from the USNTDP? I mean, Sanderson is the captain! Lol.

I knew of Bordeleau's situation, but I had assumed that Sanderson was actually an American product. A quick glance makes it look like that's not the case though with him growing up in Calgary for most of his life. Canada should go after Bordeleau and Sanderson, but then again Canada also has Harley and Perreault on the list so what can you say.

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
Something NEEDS to be done about our goaltending dull drums. Thankfully goaltenders are NOT like potato chips and you can have just one.

It is a glaring weakness at this point. USA has 3 better goalies dressing than Canada.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I knew of Bordeleau's situation, but I had assumed that Sanderson was actually an American product. A quick glance makes it look like that's not the case though with him growing up in Calgary for most of his life. Canada should go after Bordeleau and Sanderson, but then again Canada also has Harley and Perreault on the list so what can you say.

I guess they could try but why would two kids who play for the USNTDP suddenly do a turn about and entertain the thought of playing for another country? That ship has sailed.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I guess they could try but why would two kids who play for the USNTDP suddenly do a turn about and entertain the thought of playing for another country? That ship has sailed.

Players who grew up mainly in Canada and then go to play for another country are clearly taking a mercenary approach to international hockey, and given what Hockey Canada's aims are there is really nothing to lose by contacting Canadian players even if they wound up in the US training program if those players have not played in an IIHF event. I don't think that the chances would be very good or anything.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Players who grew up mainly in Canada and then go to play for another country are clearly taking a mercenary approach to international hockey, and given what Hockey Canada's aims are there is really nothing to lose by contacting Canadian players even if they wound up in the US training program if those players have not played in an IIHF event. I don't think that the chances would be very good or anything.

Well, you are certainly entitled to that view. Personally, I think if someone is eligible they can play for anyone they choose. That's certainly helped the U.S. but its helped other countries as well.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I don't know why we make such a stink about duals. It's their choice and none of our business. As the parent of 2 duals being raised in Canada exclusively, if they decide to run off to Div.1 schools (if they get full ride scholarships - because I ain't paying for it) in the future and represent the USA, then god love them, that's their right. The only way they could disappoint me is if they vote Republican. I'd probably have to cut them off if they did that.

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
If you have a dual then the USA has a much better setup with the NTDP then NCAA college than the current Canadian model of CHL and USports.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I know he has a very small shot at making the team, but I would have liked to see William Villeneauve get an invite.

What does everyone think the defense will look like? I'd put Byram, Drysdale, and Harley all on different pairings and give them all pretty even ice time. Maybe:

Byram - Schneider
Harley - Korczak
Guhle - Drysdale

(I'd give O'Rourke, Villeneauve, and Robertson a chance to snag that 3LD spot from Guhle)

Overall just an incredibly talented and mobile defense. The offense is also going to be stacked. I'm super excited to see what this team can do.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't know why we make such a stink about duals. It's their choice and none of our business. As the parent of 2 duals being raised in Canada exclusively, if they decide to run off to Div.1 schools (if they get full ride scholarships - because I ain't paying for it) in the future and represent the USA, then god love them, that's their right. The only way they could disappoint me is if they vote Republican. I'd probably have to cut them off if they did that.

I mean, I don't know these kids. Sanderson can be as Canadian as maple syrup for all I know (although he has expressed pride in being one of the few NHL prospects/players from Montana). The reality is USA Hockey gives these kids a great foundation for future success so even if they aren't "patriots" in the traditional sense (I mean, how many kids are today?) there is a certain loyalty to the program. Again, the U.S. loses out on a fair amount of these kids as well (Myers, Oleksiak, Harley, Kozun, Perreault, etc.).

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What does everyone think the defense will look like? I'd put Byram, Drysdale, and Harley all on different pairings and give them all pretty even ice time. Maybe:

Byram - Schneider
Harley - Korczak
Guhle - Drysdale

(I'd give O'Rourke, Villeneauve, and Robertson a chance to snag that 3LD spot from Guhle)

Spence at least deserves a mention. In my opinion, he'll make it.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Well, you are certainly entitled to that view. Personally, I think if someone is eligible they can play for anyone they choose. That's certainly helped the U.S. but its helped other countries as well.

Good for you, but let's not pretend that Hockey Canada theoretically going after Canadian players who happen to be in the US development program is some particularly strange thing. It seems inevitable that at some point a player is going to leave that program and play for another country. I'd guess that it's more likely someone who leaves after the U17 season and goes to the CHL though.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Spence at least deserves a mention. In my opinion, he'll make it.
He's got a shot for sure. If I had to guess though I'd say Schneider, Drysdale, and Korczak will be the RDs on the roster. The left side is very dynamic and talented offensively with players like Byram and Harley, so I think they'll want steadier players like the three I mentioned. As I posted earlier, I think this lineup has a nice mix of offensive and defensive guys where everyone complements their partner nicely.

Byram - Schneider
Harley - Korczak
Guhle - Drysdale

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I know he has a very small shot at making the team, but I would have liked to see William Villeneauve get an invite.

Byram - Schneider
Harley - Korczak
Guhle - Drysdale

Overall just an incredibly talented and mobile defense. The offense is also going to be stacked. I'm super excited to see what this team can do.

I think you're likely very close. If all defencemen are available then I'd guess that it's built around Drysdale, Byram, and Harley, and you would probably want some size, defence, and opposite handedness to complement them. I'd guess that the last spot would go to a puck mover, like a Spence or Poirier, but who knows.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Interesting that Wright is invited. I'm somewhat surprised that Poirier wasn't one of the defencemen listed. Lots of good players listed regardless. Let's hope that the tournament is played and that Hockey Canada doesn't forget its roots.

Honestly, I’m not all that surprised about Poirier. He has lethal puck skills and offensive talent, but until he can figure himself out in his own end he’s going to be in tough to make U-20; he’s quite the liability back there on some nights. He reminds me a little bit of Merkley (before he turned it around this season) in that regard, minus the attitude issues and bad penalties.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Newhook-Byfield-Cozens
Perfetti-McMichael-Beckman
Poulin-Krebs-Tomasino
Rees-Zary-Mercer

or

Krebs-Cozens-Beckman
Perfetti-Byfield-Newhook
Poulin-McMichael-Tomasino
Rees-Mercer-Pelletier

Wright and Lapierre are huge dark horses who could theoretically fight for top-line roles with big seasons.

Lafreniere-Cozens-Mercer
Newhook-Byfield-Beckman
Poulin-Krebs-Pelletier
Wright

Byram-Drysdale
Harley-Schneider
Robertson-Korczak
O’Rourke/Guhle/Spence

Won’t try to predict goalies because I don’t think anyone is locked in, and they’ll just go with the hottest at the time.

Defense is really good, and JC above...that offense is outrageous even minus Lafreniere. I didn’t even include Pelletier, Jarvis, Quinn, etc.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Honestly, I’m not all that surprised about Poirier. He has lethal puck skills and offensive talent, but until he can figure himself out in his own end he’s going to be in tough to make U-20; he’s quite the liability back there on some nights. He reminds me a little bit of Merkley (before he turned it around this season) in that regard, minus the attitude issues and bad penalties.

I can't really disagree. I've seen some good showings from him defensively however, but he may end up more realistically as a threat to make it as a 19 year old. It's going to be kind of weird seeing how the young players progress with the next season likely being delayed.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Newhook-Byfield-Cozens
Perfetti-McMichael-Beckman
Poulin-Krebs-Tomasino
Rees-Zary-Mercer

or

Krebs-Cozens-Beckman
Perfetti-Byfield-Newhook
Poulin-McMichael-Tomasino
Rees-Mercer-Pelletier

Wright and Lapierre are huge dark horses who could theoretically fight for top-line roles with big seasons.

Lafreniere-Cozens-Mercer
Newhook-Byfield-Beckman
Poulin-Krebs-Pelletier
Wright

Byram-Drysdale
Harley-Schneider
Robertson-Korczak
O’Rourke/Guhle/Spence

Won’t try to predict goalies because I don’t think anyone is locked in, and they’ll just go with the hottest at the time.

Defense is really good, and JC above...that offense is outrageous even minus Lafreniere. I didn’t even include Pelletier, Jarvis, Quinn, etc.
I agree with the offense. It's a shame players like Zary, Quinn, and Jarvis might be making the team. Normally they'd be near locks but the team is just so stacked this year. Zary and Quinn in particular are late birthdays so this is their last shot at representing Canada at the WJC.

I think you covered every forward with a decent shot at making the team except for Mavrik Bourque. A good start to next season and I wouldn't be surprised to see him fight for a spot. Even guys like Foerster or Perreault might get a shot ala Foote this year if the team feels they're lacking shooters.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Bordeleau is as French Canadian as they come, grew up in the Montreal suburbs and was even drafted in the Q by the Armada which is his hometown team. Literally he could have played junior hockey while staying at home with his family. The fact that he is playing in the US and considers himself American is a huge failure on the CHL/QMJHL part imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad