WJC: 2021 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Well, he isn't going anywhere else so he'll be available.

But I'm not sure why you want him so much. Hasn't done well in nearly every place he went. Can't see him being able to get US players up to Team Canada's camp with a fulfillment of cash payments.

Hockey Canada picked a pretty good team this past year with Hunter involved. None of the glaring mistakes that we usually see. He may not be able to use the... advantages that London may be able to, but that isn't really necessary with Hockey Canada having access to the deepest talent pool and the most resources anyway.

SleepyJoeyB

Dec 26, 2019
Hockey Canada picked a pretty good team this past year with Hunter involved. None of the glaring mistakes that we usually see. He may not be able to use the... advantages that London may be able to, but that isn't really necessary with Hockey Canada having access to the deepest talent pool and the most resources anyway.

Can I ask what the "glaring mistakes" are you are referring to?

Reactions: RosstheBoss

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Can I ask what the "glaring mistakes" are you are referring to?

Like Phillips and Anderson-Dolan in 2019. You could argue that McIsaac was a mistake even if Hockey Canada was always going to be very reluctant to cut a returnee, but otherwise it was a well picked team in 2020.

SleepyJoeyB

Dec 26, 2019
Like Phillips and Anderson-Dolan in 2019. You could argue that McIsaac was a mistake even if Hockey Canada was always going to be very reluctant to cut a returnee, but otherwise it was a well picked team in 2020.

I guess I was hoping for more than that. Just so I know where you are coming from, what is your concern with Anderson-Dolan?

Reactions: RosstheBoss

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I guess I was hoping for more than that. Just so I know where you are coming from, what is your concern with Anderson-Dolan?

You can go through the other years and pick out the glaring mistakes if you want. It's not exactly uncommon. Anderson-Dolas was coming off injury, showed very little during the selection process as a result, and then did nothing in the tournament.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Bouchard was a bigger mistake in 2019. The guy did nothing in camp to indicate he belonged on the team, and he responded by being a complete liability in his own zone. We likely would have won a medal if we'd replaced this worthless pylon with an actual defenseman.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
With Byram, Cozens, Byfield available:

Krebs-Cozens-Beckman
McMichael-Byfield-Mercer
Perfetti-Newhook-Pelletier
Rees-Tomasino-Poulin
Holloway/Zary/Suzuki

Byram-Drysdale
Harley-Schneider
Robertson-Barron
Korczak/Poirier

Without them:

Perfetti-McMichael-Mercer
Krebs-Newhook-Beckman
Holloway-Tomasino-Pelletier
Rees-Suzuki-Poulin
Zary/Tracy/Lapierre

Robertson-Drysdale
Harley-Schneider
Korczak-Barron
Poirier/Guhle

Either way, this team looks to be the clear top dog. Powerhouse 2020 draft class will hopefully drive us to gold in 2021 and 2022.

Goalies aren’t worthwhile predicting. We will have more than enough depth to find our Daws/Hofer duo. Garand will be one of the trio as the prospective starter the next year.

I agree with the line up listed
Does the Canada Russia November series really mean anything in this case

The only thing this series does is get the true fans like us to see players from other leagues but I believe it helps the Russians more than us to keep us off the podium

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019
For QMJHL players eligible for next year team I'd predict the following selections:

Forwards:

1. Pelletier - Makes team
2. Mercer - Makes team
3. Poulin - Makes team
4. Bourque (02) - invited to camp

Other eligible:
Lapierre (02)
Simoneau
Beaucage
Francis
Legere
L'Heureaux (03)

Defence:

1. Spence - Makes team
2. Cormier (02) - invited to camp. a chance he makes it as the 7th defenceman
3. Barron - invited to camp

Other Eligible
Inniss
Ortiz
Guenette
Poirier (02)
Villeneuve (02)

Pelletier, Mercer, Poulin should all be locks for the team out of the Q. Lapierre would have had a shot but being injured will make it tough for him to bounce back. Maverick Bourque would be the top "darkhorse" to make the team next year as an 18 YO.

On D I think Cormier will be further ahead than Barron by next december and be an attractive pick for the 7th D slot

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
For QMJHL players eligible for next year team I'd predict the following selections:

Forwards:

1. Pelletier - Makes team
2. Mercer - Makes team
3. Poulin - Makes team
4. Bourque (02) - invited to camp

Other eligible:
Lapierre (02)
Simoneau
Beaucage
Francis
Legere
L'Heureaux (03)

Defence:

1. Spence - Makes team
2. Cormier (02) - invited to camp. a chance he makes it as the 7th defenceman
3. Barron - invited to camp

Other Eligible
Inniss
Ortiz
Guenette
Poirier (02)
Villeneuve (02)

Pelletier, Mercer, Poulin should all be locks for the team out of the Q. Lapierre would have had a shot but being injured will make it tough for him to bounce back. Maverick Bourque would be the top "darkhorse" to make the team next year as an 18 YO.

On D I think Cormier will be further ahead than Barron by next december and be an attractive pick for the 7th D slot

I would say you are spot on with the Q players
Would be disappointed if Barron was not included but some quality players in Ohl and Whl would push him to the outside looking in.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
I agree with the line up listed
Does the Canada Russia November series really mean anything in this case

The only thing this series does is get the true fans like us to see players from other leagues but I believe it helps the Russians more than us to keep us off the podium

update to posted list
You can add Bourque/ Jarvis and Quinn to the list
The fight for 13 forwards out of this group is getting highly competitive

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Cozens- Newhook- Krebs
Tomasino-Byfield- Mcmichael
Pelletier- Rees- Poulin
Mercer-Holloway- Perfetti

Byram- Schneider
Robertson- Drysdale
Harley- Korczak
Guhle- Villeneuve

Reactions: Lemonlimey

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This looks like a very nice draft coming up for Canada. I like the look of the potential forwards and defence, and I hope that a good goaltending option emerges as it did this year. Lots of time for that to happen.

Reactions: Dominance

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Cozens- Newhook- Krebs
Pelletier- Rees- Poulin

Byram- Schneider
Robertson- Drysdale
Harley- Korczak
Guhle- Villeneuve

Glad to see everybody holding up in lockdown. hopefully everybody is doing well and this madness is soon behind us.

I like your roster, it's an optimistic one, but I like it. If Byfield is available he'd be my #1 center over Newhook.

either way I like our chances of repeating with that roster. provided of course the coaching doesn't fail us. I'm not sold on that guy.

hopefully we don't lose another tournament to this madness...

and also would really like to see the NHL and IIHF put something in the works for a True 12 team World Cup in N. America for September 2021.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Jack Quinn from Ottawa should find a spot on the 2021 team. Elite goal scorer at the junior level, plays both wings, kills penalties, responsible defensively. Tourigny coaching the team doesn't hurt his chances obviously, but he should be in a position to make the team on his own merits.

Reactions: Dominance and LDN

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Jack Quinn from Ottawa should find a spot on the 2021 team. Elite goal scorer at the junior level, plays both wings, kills penalties, responsible defensively. Tourigny coaching the team doesn't hurt his chances obviously, but he should be in a position to make the team on his own merits.

I'd expect him to be in the tier just below locks at this point. Strong year this year, looks like he could even go top ten in the draft, 19 years old by the tournament, plus his coach.

Reactions: LDN

86Habs

May 4, 2009
I'd expect him to be in the tier just below locks at this point. Strong year this year, looks like he could even go top ten in the draft, 19 years old by the tournament, plus his coach.

I would put him in that tier as well. I'm interested to see how Quinn starts next season as he will be THE man in Ottawa going forward, provided he doesn't stick in the NHL. The 67s are losing their entire first line (Rossi won't return to Ottawa even if he doesn't make his NHL team), it's debatable whether Quinn's even-strength center (Hoelscher) returns, and the top two defencemen are both done.

His production may normalize without having the luxury of playing with Rossi on the 1st power-play unit and he'll now be the focal point for opponents' defences, but he still brings enough to the table that he should find a home on the team, even if its in a bottom-six kind of role.

Reactions: LDN

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Cozens- Newhook- Krebs
Pelletier- Rees- Poulin

Byram- Schneider
Robertson- Drysdale
Harley- Korczak
Guhle- Villeneuve
Pretty good roster. Some of those guys might not be available, but we’ve got loads of quality depth to replace them with.

Would be a terrible shame if we don’t have quality goaltending in next year’s tournament. That roster is beastly and should absolutely steamroll everyone. I think it’s clearly improved from this year, while the Americans will be less strong. Russia and Finland are up in the air like usual, but Sweden should be a threat.

Still, that roster should beat anyone by a comfortable margin.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Cozens- Newhook- Krebs
Pelletier- Rees- Poulin

Byram- Schneider
Robertson- Drysdale
Harley- Korczak
Guhle- Villeneuve
I really like this roster but I'd fit Jack Quinn in there, probably in place of Holloway. Adam Beckman should be a lock as well.

We should be the clear front-runners this year. I'm really looking forward to having these guys play in Edmonton.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I really like this roster but I'd fit Jack Quinn in there, probably in place of Holloway. Adam Beckman should be a lock as well.

We should be the clear front-runners this year. I'm really looking forward to having these guys play in Edmonton.

It’ll depend on how many of the best American 19 year olds return and if the coaching is a little better because this American 2001 age group was clearly the best in their age group tournaments throughout. Often, the country who was the best in age group tournaments ends up winning the WJC when those players are 19. The times that doesn’t happen usually ends up being when that country ends up having too many of their best players already in the NHL.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This looks like a very nice draft coming up for Canada. I like the look of the potential forwards and defence, and I hope that a good goaltending option emerges as it did this year. Lots of time for that to happen.
Amen. Canada's been in a lull for years and we're due to produce not just a good draft, but a great one. Let's hope it materializes.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It’ll depend on how many of the best American 19 year olds return and if the coaching is a little better because this American 2001 age group was clearly the best in their age group tournaments throughout. Often, the country who was the best in age group tournaments ends up winning the WJC when those players are 19. The times that doesn’t happen usually ends up being when that country ends up having too many of their best players already in the NHL.
There's always a chance that the 19's were a weak draft class (no matter the returns) and the 18's excel. No one should be shocked if Canada does really well in Edmonton - assuming there is an Edmonton.

Canada has a chance for a 3-peat.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I still think there's a chance at a Dream Team Tournament. small chance, but a chance nonetheless. Wouldn't that be terrific, another tournament for Lafreniere. A 2nd shot for Byfield with the addition of Dach on RW. what's not to love about that?

Yeah, I'd give us a 90% chance of repeating.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
And the odds of a 3-peat? ;)

a little difficult to handicap that tournament the 2022 tournament. That would be the '02 born players, led of course by Byfield. given that we've already missed out on the '02 U18 tournament this past spring difficult to take a measure of that particular age group when they're missing tournaments. We do have the Hlinka-Gretsky '02 tournament...which Canada lost.

so, at this point, chances of a repeat are fairly good. We have a shot. The chances of a 3-peat at this point is low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad