WJC: 2021 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Bordeleau is as French Canadian as they come, grew up in the Montreal suburbs and was even drafted in the Q by the Armada which is his hometown team. Literally he could have played junior hockey while staying at home with his family. The fact that he is playing in the US and considers himself American is a huge failure on the CHL/QMJHL part imo

See it from his perspective, he had little shot at the Canadian lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabresEH

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
See it from his perspective, he had little shot at Canadian lineup.

I understand but he might have undervalued himself. He is only 18 years old and could realistically compete with the likes of Poulin, Pelletier, Beckman, Zary, Rees, Suzuki, Holloway, Quinn, Lapierre, Clarke, Jarvis, Bourque, Finley for a spot on the team this year... he actually would have had a pretty decent shot and would probably 100% make it as a 19 years old (2021-22)

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I understand but he might have undervalued himself. He is only 18 years old and could realistically compete with the likes of Poulin, Pelletier, Beckman, Zary, Rees, Suzuki, Holloway, Quinn, Lapierre, Clarke, Jarvis, Bourque, Finley for a spot on the team this year... he actually would have had a pretty decent shot and would probably 100% make it as a 19 years old (2021-22)

Potentially, I still think he has a better shot at 2 tournaments in the US. There's covid to manage as well, and if that creates a "dream team" tournament he has no shot at it this year whatsoever in Canada.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Bordeleau is as French Canadian as they come, grew up in the Montreal suburbs and was even drafted in the Q by the Armada which is his hometown team. Literally he could have played junior hockey while staying at home with his family. The fact that he is playing in the US and considers himself American is a huge failure on the CHL/QMJHL part imo

Who knows if he considers himself an American, but he is continuing the family tradition in a way. His father and grandfather each played for France internationally, though in his father's case he did presumably spend a significant amount of his life growing up in France. I don't view it as a failure of the CHL or QMJHL that a player would take a different development route that the IIHF's rules left available to them. In his case he would probably be a viable candidate for 2022 but it doesn't look like he'd have a great shot in 2021.

Last edited:

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
#GoBlue

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Looking good for a Dream Team tournament in December. Lafreniere Dach Cozens 1st. line. make Byfield #2 center.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Looking good for a Dream Team tournament in December. Lafreniere Dach Cozens 1st. line. make Byfield #2 center.
I wouldn’t expect Dach to play for us, or Hughes to play for the US. They have “graduated” beyond the junior level.

Either way, it doesn’t really matter. With no one else being lost to NHL rosters (namely Cozens and Byram) the team will be ridiculously stacked. Goaltending, coaching, and chemistry will remain unpredictable variables, but this team should absolutely steamroll all the competition, on paper.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I wouldn’t expect Dach to play for us, or Hughes to play for the US. They have “graduated” beyond the junior level.

Either way, it doesn’t really matter. With no one else being lost to NHL rosters (namely Cozens and Byram) the team will be ridiculously stacked. Goaltending, coaching, and chemistry will remain unpredictable variables, but this team should absolutely steamroll all the competition, on paper.
If the NHL isn't starting for a while, why not? I don't think they'd pass up an opportunity to represent their countries and maybe get prepared for the season.

If so give me Lafreniere - Dach - Cozens and Newhook - Byfield - Beckman.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
If the NHL isn't starting for a while, why not? I don't think they'd pass up an opportunity to represent their countries and maybe get prepared for the season.

absolutely. I don't agree with the idea that a junior aged player has "graduated" from a junior aged tournament. If I were his GM I'd want him playing instead of sitting around waiting for NHL camp post Christmas. It's not like Dach scored 30 goals in his rookie season. I didn't score 10. still lots of development for him to do before he's a top 6 NHL forward.

for that matter, send Hughes to play for the U.S. as well.

The NHL is going to have to take every opportunity to market their players if they ever want to recover financially from this past year. and if that means dispatching players to international tournaments, then send your players.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

I’d love for you to be right. I just think it’s awesome how getting Dach would purely be a bonus to an already ridiculously loaded team.

I would love to see the Lafreniere-Dach connection again, though. That’s a big reason why I have Chicago up there with Pittsburgh, Toronto, Edmonton, and Montreal as the places I hope AL ends up.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I’d love for you to be right. I just think it’s awesome how getting Dach would purely be a bonus to an already ridiculously loaded team.

I would love to see the Lafreniere-Dach connection again, though. That’s a big reason why I have Chicago up there with Pittsburgh, Toronto, Edmonton, and Montreal as the places I hope AL ends up.
Ah, I hadn't thought of that. I would love for two of my favourite prospects in Laf and Dach to be reunited. Apart from the teams you mentioned, NYI would also be a good destination. I think he'd fit in nicely with Matt Barzal.

And we can agree on the fact that Edmonton is a perfect fit for Lafreniere. :)

Reactions: Dominance

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It will definitely be interesting. With regard to players like Dach and Lafreniere who are either in the NHL already or all but in the NHL, I think that it just comes down to timing. If the tournament is taking place in December-January and NHL camps aren't expected to open until after the tournament concludes, I could see the players being made available in some situations. In Dach's case it wouldn't even be like the last lockout where Nugent-Hopkins could at least play in the AHL at the time. I don't think that players "graduate" out of WJC contention, and Nugent-Hopkins' example demonstrates that Hockey Canada likely doesn't think that way either.

There are a lot of variables with the CHL as well, from just getting the players playing to how it handles the American teams in the league. NCAA players like Newhook also pose different issues. Hockey Canada does have the resources to flex its muscle a bit though. I can't imagine that there would be an issue with keeping the main contenders in Calgary at Hockey Canada's headquarters if need be, and the tournament is scheduled for Edmonton anyway.

Reactions: Dominance

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Dach coming would be amazing and not out of the realm of possibility, see Nuge in 2013 and Bergeron in 2005.

We could see this 2019 team be up there with the 2005 team if the NHL starts later and lets eligible players go.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I doubt players who will be or expect to be in the nhl would risk injury at the wjcs if they happen. especially when nhl camps would likely be starting up just before it

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
I doubt players who will be or expect to be in the nhl would risk injury at the wjcs if they happen. especially when nhl camps would likely be starting up just before it
Why not? Hasn't stopped guys already playing in the NHL from going over mid-season. It's good for their development.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Why not? Hasn't stopped guys already playing in the NHL from going over mid-season. It's good for their development.
Because a player won't want to be injured or banged up heading into a training camp when they're trying to break camp with a team. Normally the WJCs are mid season and the young players are worn down needing a refresher. They're also usually in/out of the lineup and might be sent back to juniors so it buys teams time. That won't be the case this year if there's a wjcs.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Because a player won't want to be injured or banged up heading into a training camp when they're trying to break camp with a team. Normally the WJCs are mid season and the young players are worn down needing a refresher. They're also usually in/out of the lineup and might be sent back to juniors so it buys teams time. That won't be the case this year if there's a wjcs.
Conversely, having that experience going into camp could give the extra edge over the competition. Coming back a better player is a pretty nice carrot to dangle.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Conversely, having that experience going into camp could give the extra edge over the competition. Coming back a better player is a pretty nice carrot to dangle.
risking coming into camp not at 100% is extremely dumb and nhl teams wouldn't risk it for a player they see on the nhl squad. Plus if the NHL would start next year Jan 1st as planned it'd be at the same time as the wjcs(if they even happen this year)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I wonder what odds there are of NCAA players going to the CHL this year. Who knows if or when the CHL is going to start up, but it seems more likely to me than the NCAA playing. I recall that Halifax has Newhook's rights, not sure about Holloway or some other prospects like Power and Johnson.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I wonder what odds there are of NCAA players going to the CHL this year. Who knows if or when the CHL is going to start up, but it seems more likely to me than the NCAA playing. I recall that Halifax has Newhook's rights, not sure about Holloway or some other prospects like Power and Johnson.
Winnipeg has Holloway's rights(plus Carter Savoie and Jake Sanderson), Everett has Johnson's and Flint should have Power's.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Winnipeg has Holloway's rights(plus Carter Savoie and Jake Sanderson), Everett has Johnson's and Flint should have Power's.

Nice, thanks. If Holloway went to Winnipeg we could potentially see a Krebs-Holloway line that could conceivably be useful at the WJC as well. There are a ton of ifs at play obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad