Poulin-Suzuki-Jarvis
Pelletier

Byram-Drysdale
Harley-Schneider
Robertson-Spence
Korczak

Gauthier
Garand

Lots of good forwards, I wanted to make room still for Quinn, Holloway, Mercer and Zary. Based on talent, I'd have Quinn over Rees and Zary over Suzuki but Canada will go with the veterans. I could see them taking Mercer over Jarvis or Holloway too but Jarvis is the BPA to me, Mercer didn't do anything last WJCs.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Krebs-Byfield-Cozens
Perfetti-Newhook-Tomasino
Beckman-McMichael-Rees
Poulin-Suzuki-Jarvis
Pelletier

Byram-Drysdale
Harley-Schneider
Robertson-Spence
Korczak

Gauthier
Garand

Lots of good forwards, I wanted to make room still for Quinn, Holloway, Mercer and Zary. Based on talent, I'd have Quinn over Rees and Zary over Suzuki but Canada will go with the veterans. I could see them taking Mercer over Jarvis or Holloway too but Jarvis is the BPA to me, Mercer didn't do anything last WJCs.

That forward group is frightening, even without Lafreniere. All of those players are legitimate 40-50 goal, 100 point threats over the course of a full CHL season (assuming Newhook played CHL), except maybe Suzuki.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I'll make some bold calls here.

Devon Levi is an amazing goalie, seen so much of him Button isn't crazy this guy is a giant killer and if get grows even an inch it's not fair.

Brandt Clarke and Owen power have a ton of hype one will make this team.

Zach L'Heureux is a monster, best 03 forward in Canada IMO, he pushes and is the 13.

Wright makes the top 9 and Brad Lambert comes over and also make the team.

Enjoy your day guys.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'll make some bold calls here.

Devon Levi is an amazing goalie, seen so much of him Button isn't crazy this guy is a giant killer and if get grows even an inch it's not fair.

Brandt Clarke and Owen power have a ton of hype one will make this team.

Zach L'Heureux is a monster, best 03 forward in Canada IMO, he pushes and is the 13.

Wright makes the top 9 and Brad Lambert comes over and also make the team.

Enjoy your day guys.

Even if Lambert came over to Canada today he wouldn't be eligible to play for Canada in this tournament, or the 2022 tournament. I admit that it's a bold call though. I wouldn't be shocked to see one of the named defencemen make the team though, depending on how much hockey is played and if when the tournament takes place

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Krebs-Byfield-Cozens
Perfetti-Newhook-Tomasino
Beckman-McMichael-Rees
Poulin-Suzuki-Jarvis
Pelletier

Byram-Drysdale
Harley-Schneider
Robertson-Spence
Korczak

Gauthier
Garand

Has a guy ever been cut after making the team the previous year, assuming no injuries?

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Has a guy ever been cut after making the team the previous year, assuming no injuries?

Yes, it has happened a few times. not often, it has happened a few times. I can't remember the specific player names, but @JackSlater knows and I'm sure he'll post a response. He tracks all the little details. I just remember player/team performances good or bad.

The chances of it happening are extremely low, however. returnees have a free pass mostly.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Reggie Savage, Leland Irving, Chris Bigras. I'm not sure if there are any others from 1982 and beyond.

Yes, it has happened a few times. not often, it has happened a few times. I can't remember the specific player names, but @JackSlater knows and I'm sure he'll post a response. He tracks all the little details. I just remember player/team performances good or bad.

The chances of it happening are extremely low, however. returnees have a free pass mostly.

It took me a few minutes to remember Irving. In my head it was "generic mid-2000s goalie" but no name.

Reactions: Oleksiak

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Reggie Savage, Leland Irving, Chris Bigras. I'm not sure if there are any others from 1982 and beyond.

It took me a few minutes to remember Irving. In my head it was "generic mid-2000s goalie" but no name.

I think that pretty much covers it. curious if the 3 were all 19 years old? Hockey Canada loves the 19 year old returnee. sort of like the ultra ultra golden pass, I can see them more inclined to cut an 18 year old returnee. but you got to be really really good as a 16/17 year to make the team...and those types of exceptional players don't tend to have crappy sophomore CHL seasons.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think that pretty much covers it. curious if the 3 were all 19 years old? Hockey Canada loves the 19 year old returnee. sort of like the ultra ultra golden pass, I can see them more inclined to cut an 18 year old returnee. but you got to be really really good as a 16/17 year to make the team...and those types of exceptional players don't tend to have crappy sophomore CHL seasons.

All three were 19. Savage actually had a good tournament as an 18 year old (second in team Canada scoring) and was a 15th overall pick, but as a 19 year old his numbers dropped noticeably despite having a higher scoring centre on his team and playing more games. I'd guess that there was something going on outside of just hockey in that case. Irving was only the backup as an 18 year old and was outplayed at the camp as a 19 year old. I imagine that he probably makes it if Canada had taken three goaltenders rather than two. Bigras was either 7th defenceman or limited minutes on the third pairing as an 18 year old and then got cut early in camp as a 19 year old. I remember that it was surprising that he was cut at that point but he hadn't stood out in the exhibitions or anything. He probably should have been on the team over a few of the players (Heatherington especially) but the team won anyway.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
All three were 19. Savage actually had a good tournament as an 18 year old (second in team Canada scoring) and was a 15th overall pick, but as a 19 year old his numbers dropped noticeably despite having a higher scoring centre on his team and playing more games. I'd guess that there was something going on outside of just hockey in that case. Irving was only the backup as an 18 year old and was outplayed at the camp as a 19 year old. I imagine that he probably makes it if Canada had taken three goaltenders rather than two. Bigras was either 7th defenceman or limited minutes on the third pairing as an 18 year old and then got cut early in camp as a 19 year old. I remember that it was surprising that he was cut at that point but he hadn't stood out in the exhibitions or anything. He probably should have been on the team over a few of the players (Heatherington especially) but the team won anyway.

You should work for TSN WJC broadcast crew.

Reactions: Dominance

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
You should work for TSN WJC broadcast crew.

Perhaps I have. El Kabong.

ebbpy88cjobno1if1yau.jpeg

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm glad to see Cormier and Power added, it was a little strange that they weren't invited in the first place.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
oh!! the Double Dion.

and as far as the additions to the virtual camp go - the more the merrier. may as well! but I'd give HC a thumbs up for the Owen Power invite.

Yeah given that it's online there is no extra cost to bringing in more guys. It's worth noting that Power is old for the draft class as well. This should be his 18 year old season.

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017
Newhook-Byfield-Cozens
Perfetti-McMichael-Tomasino
Pelletier- Krebs- Quinn

Line 4 :
Rees-Zary-Mercer

Line 5:
Beckman-Holloway-Wright

Line 6:
Poulin - Suzuki- Perreault

Those are the invited forwards.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Newhook-Byfield-Cozens
Perfetti-McMichael-Tomasino
Pelletier- Krebs- Quinn

Line 4 :
Rees-Zary-Mercer

Line 5:
Beckman-Holloway-Wright

Line 6:
Poulin - Suzuki- Perreault

Those are the invited forwards.
So the best player in the WHL this year doesn’t cut the starting 12? Should I presume Poulin is only on the 6th line because he is very likely to actually play in the NHL next year?

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
So the best player in the WHL this year doesn’t cut the starting 12? Should I presume Poulin is only on the 6th line because he is very likely to actually play in the NHL next year?
Am I missing something where the WHL has a Poulin, let alone the best player in the league....?

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I was referring to Beckman and Poulin in turn.

Gotcha. Then to answer your Beckman question, he put up a ton of points in the W but look at all the 1st/2nd rounder forwards who he'll be going against. He'll certainly have a shot to make the team, but it'd probably be as a depth guy which not sure if that fits his skill set or not

Reactions: hockeyanalyst99

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Gotcha. Then to answer your Beckman question, he put up a ton of points in the W but look at all the 1st/2nd rounder forwards who he'll be going against. He'll certainly have a shot to make the team, but it'd probably be as a depth guy which not sure if that fits his skill set or not
Looking historically, I really do not think draft position has much of an impact on HC brass. I would be stunned if he is not a top-6 player on the team, but Beckman also has a more than sufficient two-way game to be the offensive leader on a third line, too.

Reactions: EXTRAS

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017
You have to think about it this way:
Team Canada is going against Best Junior age players from Russia, USA, Sweden, and Finland. So, you have to pick players who top-end talent (speed, moving puck, passing) so TC can defeat Team Russian and USA. Poulin is slow when he was 18. He may improve his speed and agility this year significantly and make TC. The same is with Beckman. One year makes a big difference for teenagers.
All assessments were based on last year's performance and video records.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad