WJC: 2021 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The chances of a 3-peat at this point is low.
Not sure why. Assuming the odds of a repeat are strong - as per your post, given the fact that out 2021 draft class looks very good, unless the NHL picks the 2020 class dry (and they very well might), the odds of a 3 peat would be strong as well.

I realize in a short tournament anything can happen but this is our best chance at a potential 3 peat in a long time.

My guess : Odds of a repeat in Edmonton : 60%. Odds of a 3-peat : 25%.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
At the risk of opening a can of worms...

With the U18's being cancelled, is the Brad Lambert lottery still a thing, and, if so, did Canada's odds just get better? ;)

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I still think there's a chance at a Dream Team Tournament. small chance, but a chance nonetheless. Wouldn't that be terrific, another tournament for Lafreniere. A 2nd shot for Byfield with the addition of Dach on RW. what's not to love about that?

Yeah, I'd give us a 90% chance of repeating.

It would be a really strong team. USA would be a scary opponent if everyone was there as well. I have a hard time seeing any scenario where everyone is available or released from NHL teams though. I don't think we see the tournament if most leagues, including the NHL, aren't up and running. The Canadian team would be very deep with everyone available though.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
For laughs, a Canadian team with everyone available in 2021:

Lafreniere McMichael Cozens
Perfetti Byfield Dach
Beckman Newhook Quinn
Holloway Krebs Mercer
Zary

Guhle Drysdale
Byram Schneider
Harley Barron
Poirier

Some Guy
Some Other Guy

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
For laughs, a Canadian team with everyone available in 2021:

Lafreniere McMichael Cozens
Perfetti Byfield Dach
Beckman Newhook Quinn
Holloway Krebs Mercer
Zary

Guhle Drysdale
Byram Schneider
Harley Barron
Cormier

Some Guy
Some Other Guy
Nice.

The next 2 drafts are strong (especially 2020) for Canada so, unless the NHL picks us dry, we have a real chance to win the next 2 (or even 3 WJR's).

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Good. The way the IIHF rules are, you never know - his great, great, great grandfather's brother's plumber might have been American and then the USNDP would come a callin.

They have to do something about the rules. Until then, let's see if we can get Lambert.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Nice.

The next 2 drafts are strong (especially 2020) for Canada so, unless the NHL picks us dry, we have a real chance to win the next 2 (or even 3 WJR's).

It's noteworthy that a lot of Canada's top prospects in the 2020 draft are 2001s. Lafreniere, Mercer, Quinn, Zary, Holloway, Schneider, Barron are all potential first rounders who are late birthdays. Very unusual situation. It means that a lot of 2020 draft players will likely make Canada's 2021 WJC team but also a lot of those same players won't be on the 2022 team.

Good. The way the IIHF rules are, you never know - his great, great, great grandfather's brother's plumber might have been American and then the USNDP would come a callin.

They have to do something about the rules. Until then, let's see if we can get Lambert.

Canada should leave Lambert alone. There seems to be a good chance that Canada gets Perreault, maybe even on the 2021 WJC team. From what I've read he really should be playing for the Americans though. I don't think that Power has any connection to USA other than going the USHL route.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It's noteworthy that a lot of Canada's top prospects in the 2020 draft are 2001s. Lafreniere, Mercer, Quinn, Zary, Holloway, Schneider, Barron are all potential first rounders who are late birthdays. Very unusual situation. It means that a lot of 2020 draft players will likely make Canada's 2021 WJC team but also a lot of those same players won't be on the 2022 team.

Canada should leave Lambert alone. There seems to be a good chance that Canada gets Perreault, maybe even on the 2021 WJC team. From what I've read he really should be playing for the Americans though. I don't think that Power has any connection to USA other than going the USHL route.
Still would like to see them grab Lambert - I know you're against it.

The 2021 draft looks good for Canada so... let's hope they can make a difference at the 2022 and 2023 WJR's.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Still would like to see them grab Lambert - I know you're against it.

The 2021 draft looks good for Canada so... let's hope they can make a difference at the 2022 and 2023 WJR's.

For now I mainly hope that there is a 2021 tournament, even if it is a bit delayed. That's for the entertainment value a well as how strong Canada's team looks to be. It's been a pretty pitiful haul since 2009.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

That's not at all how the IIHF rules or American citizenship goes.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
For now I mainly hope that there is a 2021 tournament, even if it is a bit delayed. That's for the entertainment value a well as how strong Canada's team looks to be. It's been a pretty pitiful haul since 2009.

but a decent haul since 2015. 4 gold medal games with 3 gold medal performances. yeah 2 clunkers in 2016 and 2019. eliminate one of those clunkers and we are right where we should be. playing in gold medal games and winning more often than we lose. I can live with a 1 in 6 clunker tournament with those kinds of results, so long as that clunker is not a tournament here at home.

Hockey Canada just has to keep the 2015 trend going.

Reactions: jj cale

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
but a decent haul since 2015. 4 gold medal games with 3 gold medal performances. yeah 2 clunkers in 2016 and 2019. eliminate one of those clunkers and we are right where we should be. playing in gold medal games and winning more often than we lose. I can live with a 1 in 6 clunker tournament with those kinds of results, so long as that clunker is not a tournament here at home.

That's fair. Very likely a gold medal game in 2019 as well if not for a broken stick, though that team did deserve the loss in that game. Even with a bad haul it could be worse of course.
See Sweden

Reactions: jj cale

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Yes. After our 5 years winning streak (2005-2009), we had a BAD 5 years - we were due. After 2015, we got back on the right track.

I truly believe the 2019 team wins Gold if not for the last second fluke goal by Finland, so we could already be at a 3 peat with a very good chance at a 4 and 5 in the next two years.

But, then again, we got VERY lucky in 2020 - altho, it made up for how UNLUCKY we got in 2011.

The World Juniors sure are crazy.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Watching the Canada/Sweden game (on TSN) from the 2005 World Juniors and it is amazing how many players (from Canada) had amazing careers.

And then there is Nigel Dawes. :(

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Watching the Canada/Sweden game (on TSN) from the 2005 World Juniors and it is amazing how many players (from Canada) had amazing careers.

And then there is Nigel Dawes. :(

Even Dawes ended up having a really good career, it just wasn't in the NHL. He's been a very good player but he just didn't fit the NHL at the time.

Reactions: afrobomber11

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
So if the 20-21 NHL season doesn't start until January, would clubs consider letting players like Lafreniere play the WJC before joining the main club? Of the lottery-eligible teams, which are more likely to allow that to happen?

Reactions: ORRFForever

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
So if the 20-21 NHL season doesn't start until January, would clubs consider letting players like Lafreniere play the WJC before joining the main club? Of the lottery-eligible teams, which are more likely to allow that to happen?

Good question. for the sake of conditioning and confidence, I know if I were his GM I'd want him playing at the highest level possible before throwing him in with the big boys.

I think a dream team World Juniors would be a better situation for him than a NHL post Christmas training camp.

not to mention better for all of us who enjoy this tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: ORRFForever
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad