WJC: 2021 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
I feel like Shane Wright will force his way onto the team like McDavid and work his way up the lineup throughout the tournament

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I feel like Shane Wright will force his way onto the team like McDavid and work his way up the lineup throughout the tournament

I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team, I will be shocked, however, if he has any kind of impact at the tournament. 16 year olds generally don't do much at this tournament. My expectation of him would be relegated to 13 forward status and about 2-3 pts. If he does anything more than that - it's a bonus.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Even if we don't get any of Laf, Dach, Cozens, Byram, Mcmicheal, Byfield we still have a good team.

Krebs Newhook Quinn
Pelletier Poulin Mercer
Perfetti Tomasino Jarvis
Rees Zary Holloway
Wright

Harley Drysdale
Power Barron
Robertson Schneider
Korzak

Goal tending is the issue. Overall this team definitely has a chance at at winning a gold although I think the Americans and Swedes are also very good. Regardless of who wins hopefully we still get to see the result

Last edited:

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Newhook-Byfield-Cozens
Perfetti-McMichael-Tomasino
Jarvis-Krebs-Quinn
Beckman-Lapierre-Mercer
Pelletier ( but I could see Hockey Canada bringing someone like a Ridley Grieg if they want more snarl in the line-up.

Byram-Drysdale
Harley-Schneider
Guhle-Clarke
Robertson

Garand
Levi

Forwards look like the best group in the tourney. Everyone here is a top notch prospect and capable of 90+ point CHL seasons this year. With Lapierre looking so good in the preseason I could see him making the roster should he match the hype he had coming in to this season and stays healthy. I would be lying though if I said bringing Wright wasn't tempting. D also looks really good. There is no excuse for Byram and Drysdale to not be one of the tourney's best pairings and the depth 1-7 is strong. Goaltending is not the strength of this roster, but I do think Levi has it in him to hold the fort reliably.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Newhook-Byfield-Cozens
Jarvis-Krebs-Quinn
Beckman-Lapierre-Mercer
Pelletier ( but I could see Hockey Canada bringing someone like a Ridley Grieg if they want more snarl in the line-up.

Byram-Drysdale
Harley-Schneider
Guhle-Clarke
Robertson

Garand
Levi

Forwards look like the best group in the tourney. Everyone here is a top notch prospect and capable of 90+ point CHL seasons this year. With Lapierre looking so good in the preseason I could see him making the roster should he match the hype he had coming in to this season and stays healthy. I would be lying though if I said bringing Wright wasn't tempting. D also looks really good. There is no excuse for Byram and Drysdale to not be one of the tourney's best pairings and the depth 1-7 is strong. Goaltending is not the strength of this roster, but I do think Levi has it in him to hold the fort reliably.

Good roster, potentially looks like a really deep team. Clarke and Lapierre are definitely wildcards. Might be difficult in Lapierre's case to get enough game action in to get real consideration but who knows.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Good roster, potentially looks like a really deep team. Clarke and Lapierre are definitely wildcards. Might be difficult in Lapierre's case to get enough game action in to get real consideration but who knows.

Skaters Fs and Ds. stacked. '01s and '02s. an entire team of 1st. rders potentially.

Goaltending? did we not have a '01 born goalie taken in the '19 draft?

What happened to the two '01s who were on the u18 team a few years back?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Skaters Fs and Ds. stacked. '01s and '02s. an entire team of 1st. rders potentially.

Goaltending? did we not have a '01 born goalie taken in the '19 draft?

What happened to the two '01s who were on the u18 team a few years back?

I've got no sense of the goaltending for this year. The bad news is that last year's strategy of "wait around and hope that someone decent emerges" is not all that feasible if the leagues start late. Also not ideal that some countries are going to have plenty of their player in better game shape. It's going to be a really strange tournament I imagine, but I'm still glad that it's likely going forward.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I've got no sense of the goaltending for this year. The bad news is that last year's strategy of "wait around and hope that someone decent emerges" is not all that feasible if the leagues start late. Also not ideal that some countries are going to have plenty of their player in better game shape. It's going to be a really strange tournament I imagine, but I'm still glad that it's likely going forward.

It's always better to play and get some international development in than winning a u20 tournament. I like winning it, love winning it, but the goal is player development. So, under any circumstance, I'm glad it's a go for now. Winning Sr. Mens tournaments is the prize and the payoff.

but really, it's been 5+ years since Hockey Canada/CHL decided they would address the goaltending situation...yet they're still mucking it up.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
If the NHL doesn't return in time, does this mean Laf and others will join in on the fun? That offense would look ridiculous with him there.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's always better to play and get some international development in than winning a u20 tournament. I like winning it, love winning it, but the goal is player development. So, under any circumstance, I'm glad it's a go for now. Winning Sr. Mens tournaments is the prize and the payoff.

but really, it's been 5+ years since Hockey Canada/CHL decided they would address the goaltending situation...yet they're still mucking it up.

I agree for the most part. Regarding goaltending it's been pretty solid in the last few years but I don't think that it has anything to do with Hockey Canada. Good changes that are made may be felt down the road. If the team can get one starter who won't give games away then that's good enough for now.

Last edited:

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
If the NHL doesn't return in time, does this mean Laf and others will join in on the fun? That offense would look ridiculous with him there.

I hope he plays and is joined by the 5 or 6 others who would be on NHL rosters if we living in normal times, but if he takes a pass and decides to sit it out and prep for Ranger camp, I haven't seen a Canadian team this stacked and deep since the '95 born players romped to a gold medal. and the '85s before that.

WRC

Dec 15, 2019
Assuming the NHL season doesn't start up until the new year, what do you guys think is the probability of Kirby Dach being released to participate? (and Hughes, Kakko for that matter) As '01s they are obviously eligible, but are all expected to play more prominent roles on their NHL teams this year. If they're team training camps are starting at the same time, teams may prefer them getting time with their pro linemates.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
I hope he plays and is joined by the 5 or 6 others who would be on NHL rosters if we living in normal times, but if he takes a pass and decides to sit it out and prep for Ranger camp, I haven't seen a Canadian team this stacked and deep since the '95 born players romped to a gold medal. and the '85s before that.
I'd argue 2005 was stronger than 95, but the competition was also way tougher than that point.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Assuming the NHL season doesn't start up until the new year, what do you guys think is the probability of Kirby Dach being released to participate? (and Hughes, Kakko for that matter) As '01s they are obviously eligible, but are all expected to play more prominent roles on their NHL teams this year. If they're team training camps are starting at the same time, teams may prefer them getting time with their pro linemates.

It would really depend oh when it starts. If it's the beginning of January then you'd have to think that there is no chance. If the NHL isn't going to start until late January or February then the tournament could be viewed as valuable preparation for the young players. It would be pretty good to see basically all of the available players, particularly if they are in form.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I'd argue 2005 was stronger than 95, but the competition was also way tougher than that point.

Are you mixing up the identifier? I always use birth year. The 2005 team would have been the '85 born players + Sid.

and just to clarify, yes, they were/are indeed the the best team Canada has ever sent to that tournament, without exception. It is the best team ever sent to that tournament from any country. They are the gold standard.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Are you mixing up the identifier? I always use birth year. The 2005 team would have been the '85 born players + Sid.

and just to clarify, yes, they were/are indeed the the best team Canada has ever sent to that tournament, without exception. It is the best team ever sent to that tournament from any country. They are the gold standard.
That definitely makes sense then.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Who's this Cossa kid (goalie) on the OilKings? 16 years old, and put up great numbers as the #1.
Would they bring him along for experience going into 2022?

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Who's this Cossa kid (goalie) on the OilKings? 16 years old, and put up great numbers as the #1.
Would they bring him along for experience going into 2022?

17 turning 18. He'll either make it through peaking at the right time in the season...so if he gets hot the first two weeks he'll make the team or he won't make the team. Canada doesn't typically bring goalies along for experience especially if the WHL season is going on at the same time as the tournament. They can only bring Cossa if they plan on playing him. And honestly the goaltending position is wide open. Personally I like Devon Levi and after him...I'm open to whoever gets off to a good start and made the most of this break.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Kirby Dach is going to dominate this tournament if he is available for Canada

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017
Russian and European players are playing league games. CHL players are not playing any games at least until early Dec or late Dec. I am hoping that they are spending this time to hone their skills.
We will see what between players who play games and just practice.

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017
Newhook-Byfield-Cozens
Jarvis-Krebs-Quinn
Beckman-Lapierre-Mercer

Byram-Drysdale
Harley-Schneider
Guhle-Clarke
Robertson

Garand
Levi

I like your line up. I would make some changes:

Newhook-Byfield-Cozens
Pelletier-Krebs-Quinn
Beckman-Holloway-Mercer
5- Rees Zary Perreault
6 - Lapierre Wright

They are going to have to carry 14 forwards, 3 goalies, and 8 defenders due to this new COVID WJC format.

Byram-Drysdale
Harley-Schneider
Guhle-Barron
Robertson -Korzak

Goalie

God knows!!! Canada does not high profile solid goalie.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Russian and European players are playing league games. CHL players are not playing any games at least until early Dec or late Dec. I am hoping that they are spending this time to hone their skills.
We will see what between players who play games and just practice.

In a way it could be quite interesting to see how the players perform against each other when their contexts are quite different. Probably not to Canada's advantage but still far better than nothing.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The QMJHL started up its regular season last night. Of note, Lapierre put up two goals and two assists in his first regular season game since his injury. Looked pretty good with Mercer, who also had two goals, at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad