Barrie, Ontario
I like your line up. I would make some changes:

Newhook-Byfield-Cozens
Perfetti-McMichael-Tomasino
Pelletier-Krebs-Quinn
Beckman-Holloway-Mercer
5- Rees Zary Perreault
6 - Lapierre Wright

They are going to have to carry 14 forwards, 3 goalies, and 8 defenders due to this new COVID WJC format.

Byram-Drysdale
Harley-Schneider
Guhle-Barron
Robertson -Korzak

Goalie

God knows!!! Canada does not high profile solid goalie.
Not bad. Holloway is maybe better suited for 4th line duties than Lapierre is, but I think Lapierre has better game breaking potential and is stronger two way. We'll have to see what Barron is looking like when he's back from injury. I think he definitely could be the better choice over Clarke if he comes back and looks good. This is a hard tournament for anyone, let alone draft eligible defensemen.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Good roster, potentially looks like a really deep team. Clarke and Lapierre are definitely wildcards. Might be difficult in Lapierre's case to get enough game action in to get real consideration but who knows.
I'm a big believer in him. He dominated the Hlinka like it was nothing a year ago and looks lights out to start the season. If this is what he's going to play like going forward it's going to be very hard to justify not bringing him, especially considering how strong of a two way force he is. I believe in bringing in as many gamebreakers as possible in a best on best tourney, and that is exactly what Clarke is. Very high risk but high reward selection.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm a big believer in him. He dominated the Hlinka like it was nothing a year ago and looks lights out to start the season. If this is what he's going to play like going forward it's going to be very hard to justify not bringing him, especially considering how strong of a two way force he is. I believe in bringing in as many gamebreakers as possible in a best on best tourney, and that is exactly what Clarke is. Very high risk but high reward selection.

QMJHL players might have a leg up this year due to scheduling and that would certainly help Lapierre. This year is probably more wide open than most due to how little hockey will be played by December.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If the NHL is not going to start until Jan 1st or later, they should allow ALL eligible players to participate at the WJR's.

Reactions: Quack

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The NHL did an amazing job with their summer playoffs (giving credit where credit is due) and I assume the World Juniors will follow their lead and quarantine everyone in a bubble.

Of all the Leagues, the NHL did the best job when it came to the look of the arena/stadium and the game atmosphere, so I doubt it will make much of a difference not having fans in attendance.

Having it in Edmonton 2 years in a row is a win/win for Alberta.

I hope Hockey Canada and the IIHF pull this off. Christmas would NOT be the same without the WJR's.

Reactions: Back in Black

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
If the NHL is not going to start until Jan 1st or later, they should allow ALL eligible players to participate at the WJR's.

There is pretty much no reason why teams would or even should let players miss the beginning of the NHL season to play in the WJC. It makes sense if the season is starting weeks or months later but not January 1.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
There is pretty much no reason why teams would or even should let players miss the beginning of the NHL season to play in the WJC. It makes sense if the season is starting weeks or months later but not January 1.
As a fan, I hope they find to way to play.

Reactions: GoldenKnight

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I am pretty sure with a Jan 1 start we could actually see even more players held back from the WJC then a normal year. Teams won't have made a decision on a number of players yet and would have to send them in the start/middle of training camp.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Canada is going to be loaded this season. I was really hoping Graeme Clarke had a shot at the team but it is looking unlikely without an OHL season. Tourigny will invite his kids to camp though so there is still hope.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Will Simoneau at least get a look? He's up to 10 points in 4 games, and he will be one of the rare Canadian players to be game shape come december.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I dont think the NHLis starting until Feb by the sounds of it. I think you're gonna see every possible NHLer there and I cant wait.

Lafreniere Dach Cozens
Newhook Byfield Tomasino
Perfetti McMichael Quinn
Rees Krebs Mercer
Poulin Holloway Jarvis

Byram Dysdale
Harley Schneider
Guhle Clarke
Power Barron

Garand
Levi

Reactions: thadd

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017
It is going to be difficult for Cnd OHL, NCAA. WHL players to play at AHL playoff level at this WJC when none of them have played at least 7-10 games. HC needs to make drastic and progressive measures to correct the situation if they want to compete against Sweden, Russia, and Finland whose players have been training and playing Junior and Professional league games.

It is highly difficult to assess if they do create a camp in Nov to assess this group and provide 2-3 weeks camp:

Newhook-Byfield-Cozens
Pelletier-Krebs-Quinn
Beckman-Holloway-Mercer
5- Rees Zary Jarvis
6 - Perreault Lapierre Wright
7 - Poulin Suzuki

Byram-Drysdale
Harley-Schneider
Robertson -Korzak
Guhle-Barron
Power

How are you going to determine if which kids are able to play AHL games if you do not have early camp???? And we are not even sure if they are training on their own on and off ice to prepare properly for the WJC????

Reactions: GoldenKnight

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017
Possible invitation list for WJC camp without viewing Junior games:

Newhook-Byfield-Cozens
Pelletier-Krebs-Quinn
Rees -Holloway-Mercer
5- Beckman Zary Jarvis
6 - Poulin Lapierre Wright
7 - Suzuki Perreault Foudy

Byram-Drysdale
Harley-Schneider
Robertson -Korczak
Guhle-Barron
Power - ???

How do you determine and ensure if everyone is in top game shape??? There may be a player who is in much better game shape than the listed players!!

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Bob is saying Hockey Canada might get them in a bubble sometime in November to train seeing as the vast majority aren't playing games right now.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sucks having a weak group this year with USA/Sweden/Russia all in the other group. It won't be the same not having a USA or Russia game in the round robin. It could also mean a tough QF matchup.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
This might be one of the best forward groups we'll ever get together if would-be NHLers play. The Defense crop is also very good.

Might be the worst selection of goalies we've ever had though. Garand maybe...? God knows who else.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Any chance Tracey makes it?

He wasn't invited to the virtual camp over the summer so without any games to play his way into contention it seems very unlikely. His only chance I guess is Hockey Canada inviting a ton of CHLers to train well in advance of the tournament and him standing out.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
It sounds like Friday will be the day that a bunch of things will be sorted out regarding the team i.e how players to have at camp (could be 50 or more)/when to have the camp(could have everyone enter a Team Canada bubble starting the last week of Nov).

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
This might be one of the best forward groups we'll ever get together if would-be NHLers play. The Defense crop is also very good.

Might be the worst selection of goalies we've ever had though. Garand maybe...? God knows who else.

I don't know about worse...definitely the most unknown though. Unlike last year we can't just grab the hottest Canadian goalies. Scouting staff is going to have to put some real work into it and use those connections. Find out what goalie has been doing what and working with who. I think you swing for the fences a bit here and bring in Devon Levi, Sebastian Cossa, Tristan Lennox, Taylor Gauthier, and Dylan Garand. If they only want to bring three...cut Gauthier and Garand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad