Rumor: 2021-22 Trade Rumours and FA Part II: Should we trade Girard or not ? Part 45

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
I don't really buy into "contract year" commentary I guess. Always felt hockey players are uber competitive in general, and if they just happen to play well during a contract year, they are gonna get called out no matter how unfairly.

Kadri is definitely going to cool down but when he does, the question will be - will he be steady and make good decisions? Streaky scoring can be forgiven if so. If you can push him down the depth chart you're in business. Trying Mikko at 2C seems fine but I do think we're better off trying to acquire someone and keeping the top line intact

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I'm all for playing Rants at center long-term. If he can move there, it solves a significant long-term issue. Don't care if MacK gets pissy about it. If it makes the team better, he'll come around.

So in a couple of seasons we would see

92-29- Olausson
JT Miller-96-18 (switching off at C depending on how JB wants to structure the lineup)
13-91-37
43-17-25

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Kadri started hot last year too, with 24 points in his first 27GP. I'm glad he's starting off hot again but I don't think he's reinvented himself. I just think he got cold last year and Bednar had a zillion other options to turn to. When his ice time got cut, Kadri got further down on himself and we were treated to two months of terrible hockey.

He's way too much of an enigma to bring back for additional seasons. Kadri's next contract will be a raise on his current $4.5M AAV and he'll be 32 in October.

Reactions: S E P H

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It would be something relatively easy for Statwhackers to figure out.

I don't think it requires analytics to realize that players have a little extra motivation to do well in a contract year. It's not an indictment of anyone's character, just human nature.

The last guy I remember to have his very worst season in the NHL in a contract year was John-Michael Liles. It wasn't helped by Sacco's complete and utter mishandling of the situation, sending him up to the press box and then bringing him back as a forward. :shakehead

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
If ranta passes that center test, it jus opens so so many possibilities for the team and sakic. could even trade for a big winger to complement ranta on that 2nd line ... so many possibilities

Reactions: Foppa2118

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't really buy into "contract year" commentary I guess. Always felt hockey players are uber competitive in general, and if they just happen to play well during a contract year, they are gonna get called out no matter how unfairly.

Kadri is definitely going to cool down but when he does, the question will be - will he be steady and make good decisions? Streaky scoring can be forgiven if so. If you can push him down the depth chart you're in business. Trying Mikko at 2C seems fine but I do think we're better off trying to acquire someone and keeping the top line intact
I think big performances in a contract year are definitely a thing. It’s not something that happens every time a player is up for a new contract, but I think it’s clear that situation is a big motivator for players and it ends up being a career best or close to career type of year.

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
Kadri started hot last year too, with 24 points in his first 27GP. I'm glad he's starting off hot again but I don't think he's reinvented himself. I just think he got cold last year and Bednar had a zillion other options to turn to. When his ice time got cut, Kadri got further down on himself and we were treated to two months of terrible hockey.

He's way too much of an enigma to bring back for additional seasons. Kadri's next contract will be a raise on his current $4.5M AAV and he'll be 32 in October.

I actually had forgotten that. I also wonder how much the shortened season skewed things for some players....As in endurance and fatigue impacting effort and ability. That was brutal, really. I loved it as far as seeing so much hockey so often, but I can't imagine that impact on the guys. Little nicks and dings probably never healed. They're supremely conditioned, yeah, but that was a ton of playing and traveling.

I assume Kadri has some extra fire in his belly from the suspension and being blamed for the collapse. Maybe he will be more consistent and be like this most of the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: shadow1

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Another guy saying the Avs first rounder is indeed top 10 protected, even though it most likely won't matter...

I'm pretty sure I read Craig use to work for the Coyotes org before moving to media, but not confident on that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Another guy saying the Avs first rounder is indeed top 10 protected, even though it most likely won't matter...

I'm pretty sure I read Craig use to work for the Coyotes org before moving to media, but not confident on that.

PHNX... DNVR... PHNX... DNVR... wonder where the Morgan got his info...

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
PHNX... DNVR... PHNX... DNVR... wonder where the Morgan got his info...

Again, Craig's pre PHNX resume is pretty legit. You all want to associate him with AJ and rule him out immediately, be my guest. But I think he's worth listening to, even if I wouldn't take it as confirmation.

But again, there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that pick ends up top ten IMO.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What can we realistically give up for JT Miller?
Compher's injury pretty much blocks any trade because he'd have to go the other way for cap reasons. Unless your name is Eichel or you're on LTIR's for years, GM's typically don't trade for injured players.

Unless you plan on trading Girard...but then it's Byram's injury that blocks that one :laugh:

:(

Reactions: Peter Peckerwood

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Again, Craig's pre PHNX resume is pretty legit. You all want to associate him with AJ and rule him out immediately, be my guest. But I think he's worth listening to, even if I wouldn't take it as confirmation.

But again, there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that pick ends up top ten IMO.

Yeah I know... I'm just saying there is a very clear tie on the information with the only media that is stating top 10 protected. I actually hope AJ is right on this and it comes to light that is the case. Would go a long way to building his reputation.

And yeah if the Avs' pick ends up in the top 10, somethings went very, very wrong.

Reactions: Ararana

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Compher's injury pretty much blocks any trade because he'd have to go the other way for cap reasons. Unless your name is Eichel or you're on LTIR's for years, GM's typically don't trade for injured players.

Unless you plan on trading Girard...but then it's Byram's injury that blocks that one :laugh:

:(
I mean it’s why Girard is the one being moved around here all the time. What’s another player making a decent amount of money with value that other teams actually want and we can afford to move?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I mean it’s why Girard is the one being moved around here all the time. What’s another player making a decent amount of money with value that other teams actually want and we can afford to move?
Girard is no longer a luxury if Byram is injured so we can't trade him. Even if Byram comes back now, we can't trade G until he (Byram) proves that he can stay healthy and he's not Calvert 2.0 (damn that would suck, just typing it made me sick).

Reactions: AvsCOL

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Tuch, who is injured, was also just traded.

Miller is likely only getting traded if the Canucks are already selling and in that case I doubt they care if Compher is out for a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad