Rumor: 2021-22 Trade Rumours and FA Part II: Should we trade Girard or not ? Part 45

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
@abusment park

A guy with 5 goals as second line center.
I mean he’s also the best defensive C in the league which is an element sorely needed in the forward group. I mean it’s nice that Naz is back to playing at a high level but there was plenty of reason to believe that last year could’ve been the start of a pretty quick decline in Kadri’s game and Danault would’ve been a great way to potentially offset that.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I remember him being pretty instrumental in eliminating the Avs in a certain series.

Avs weren’t a physical team. Girard played fine against St. Louis and Arizona, it was just against Dallas and Vegas he struggled.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Girard definitely needs to show he can be effective against physical teams once the real games begin. His size will always be an issue and it remains to be seen if he can adjust.

Reactions: missionAvs

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Girard struggled against Vegas last year, but where is this narrative about him struggling against Dallas coming from?

7GP 0G 6A +1 23:33 ATOI 53.7% EVCF

He was a -3 in Game 2 but one goal was an empty netter and one goal was pure trash from Francouz. The most you can say is he struggled the first two games but finished the series strong.

Reactions: Bender and El Travo

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Girard struggled against Vegas last year, but where is this narrative about him struggling against Dallas coming from?

7GP 0G 6A +1 23:33 ATOI 53.7% EVCF

He was a -3 in Game 2 but one goal was an empty netter and one goal was pure trash from Francouz. The most you can say is he struggled the first two games but finished the series strong.

I agree with this sentiment. Our issue against Dallas was that our goaltenders couldn't stop a beach ball.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Avs weren’t a physical team. Girard played fine against St. Louis and Arizona, it was just against Dallas and Vegas he struggled.
That’s fair but I think he’d be better with a partner better suited and experience. He’ll always lose strength battles but his timing and abilities to make decisions before he gets into situations can definitely improve

Reactions: flyfysher

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think the Vegas series is the first time we saw Girard struggle for an extended period. It carried over to the start of this year against teams like St. Louis and Washington who are both teams that play a fast physical game. Now that we’ve started playing teams that are less physical he’s been able to thrive once again and as the season continues most teams slow down on the physical play as it’s hard to maintain over 82 games. Hopefully he can learn how to handle a heavy forecheck and a better/more consistent partner will allow him to play up to the high standard we have for him.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
That’s fair but I think he’d be better with a partner better suited and experience. He’ll always lose strength battles but his timing and abilities to make decisions before he gets into situations can definitely improve

I'm on board with trading Girard IF it fills a position of need such as 2C. But I don't subscribe to trading Girard just for the heck of it. His contract still holds incredible value and he is a great asset even if he requires more careful usage and a serviceable defensive partner in the POs.

It's interesting what they're asking for on the main boards for JT Miller. They want Dobson from the Isles. I don't blame them but it didn't strike me as realistic given the Isles' situation.

I had previously offered one of Barron/Helleson + but they decried it as unreasonable even though it fit their window and helped out contractually. It just points out that while they think they're already out of it now - they still want that player that is literally ready to take the reins as a top 4 D-man. I don't see that happening anytime soon. Perhaps things will change in Vancouver by the TDL.

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
Would prefer if we keep Girard.

Toews - Makar
Byram - Girard

Gives us arguably the best Top 4 in the league.

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Rantanen
Nichuskin - Kadri - Burakovsky

Is a good Top 6 when healthy and if Kadri doesn't get suspended. "When healthy" is obviously the big caveat, but with Byram now questionable it's also a reminder that if we traded Girard, the blueline will be a lot of worse the second one of Makar/Toews/Byram get injured. Trading Girard is maybe worth it if we get a great Top-6 forward, ideally someone who can play 2C if needed, but Girard's value as a dynamic offensive dman on an extremely good contract of 5M is also why he's so valuable to the team. He should only be traded if we're getting a bluechip forward back but even then I feel like between Compher being solid this year and maybe Newhook taking a step, our forward group is probably good enough when healthy, and trading Girard to apply a bandaid to injuries just doesn't feel like a concrete solution.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
People have such short memories, despite the fact that Girard struggled in that series (FTR, Toews and Makar struggled to generate offense as well) he was not the worst defenseman for the Avalanche, he wasn't even close. That dubious honor should be shared by Patrik Nemeth (who's further proving his NHL window closed a while ago) and Ryan Graves. Both those guys were supposed to be the panacea against big, physical teams like Vegas, and they were anything but. Sticking Girard with either one of those guys did far more harm than Vegas themselves did.

What killed the Avs in that series it was their steadfast belief they had to keep one foot stuck in Grit-And-Intangibles while trying to stay the course with speed and skill. Sakic did so much to make the team worse coming out the deadline. The only guy who made a decent contribution during the regular season was Dubnyk.

I also do not understand why Sakic and Bednar are so about trying to beef up the blueline. If you want this team to be "harder to play against," then beef up the bottom six FFS. You can afford to have a bunch of talentless goons up front where they do the most good (on the forecheck) and the least amount of harm (on defense). Yet the Avs have the complete opposite idea on this.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
People have such short memories, despite the fact that Girard struggled in that series (FTR, Toews and Makar struggled to generate offense as well) he was not the worst defenseman for the Avalanche, he wasn't even close. That dubious honor should be shared by Patrik Nemeth (who's further proving his NHL window closed a while ago) and Ryan Graves. Both those guys were supposed to be the panacea against big, physical teams like Vegas, and they were anything but. Sticking Girard with either one of those guys did far more harm than Vegas themselves did.

What killed the Avs in that series it was their steadfast belief they had to keep one foot stuck in Grit-And-Intangibles while trying to stay the course with speed and skill. Sakic did so much to make the team worse coming out the deadline. The only guy who made a decent contribution during the regular season was Dubnyk.

I also do not understand why Sakic and Bednar are so about trying to beef up the blueline. If you want this team to be "harder to play against," then beef up the bottom six FFS. You can afford to have a bunch of talentless goons up front where they do the most good (on the forecheck) and the least amount of harm (on defense). Yet the Avs have the complete opposite idea on this.
We even continue to hear it from Bednar. Said JMFJ is in the lineup over Murray because he "likes the heaviness Johnson brings."

While Ryan Murray hasn't been a world beater to-date, he's been better than Johnson has. Very confusing organization.

Reactions: Reparlana

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We even continue to hear it from Bednar. Said JMFJ is in the lineup over Murray because he "likes the heaviness Johnson brings."

While Ryan Murray hasn't been a world beater to-date, he's been better than Johnson has. Very confusing organization.

Agreed, though I haven't had a huge issue with JMFJ. Yet.

But the continued insistence on keeping MacDermid on as a defenseman is just inexplicable to me.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO

Let's not forget that G was forced to play the right side as well. Sakic should have tried for a RHD rental instead of that POS Nemeth.

The only time I remember G looking good on the right side was with Zads. It's a great utility in an emergency situation, but entering the playoffs with him as the 2nd line RD was a big mistake.

Reactions: Reparlana

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Two things:

Bo has another concussion
Kadri has refound his game

Any Girard trade talk should be shoved back to the summer at the earliest.

For now... this board is so wishy washy. Bo could come back tomorrow and Kadri fall off a cliff like we've seen before (OK, not so much the "come back tomorrow" part"). Point is, just because things have had a different outlook the last couple games, doesn't really change the fact that we still need forward depth and our D corps is still our strength (even without B0). Newhook scoring a goal after just getting called up and LOC and Kadri playing well doesn't really negate the worries I have about our forward depth and I still 100% believe Girard for a top 6 forward is paramount to getting us over that hump.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
For now... this board is so wishy washy. Bo could come back tomorrow and Kadri fall off a cliff like we've seen before (OK, not so much the "come back tomorrow" part"). Point is, just because things have had a different outlook the last couple games, doesn't really change the fact that we still need forward depth and our D corps is still our strength (even without B0). Newhook scoring a goal after just getting called up and LOC and Kadri playing well doesn't really negate the worries I have about our forward depth and I still 100% believe Girard for a top 6 forward is paramount to getting us over that hump.

Speak it into existence, friend.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Let's not forget that G was forced to play the right side as well. Sakic should have tried for a RHD rental instead of that POS Nemeth.

The only time I remember G looking good on the right side was with Zads. It's a great utility in an emergency situation, but entering the playoffs with him as the 2nd line RD was a big mistake.

Yep. I don't mind Sammy on the right side during the regular season, but in the playoffs where quick puck retrieval is vital, it's a problem. Even in that Flames series where the Avs dominated, I'm pretty sure he was skating the puck up the right side of the ice when Bennett took him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad