Rumor: 2021-22 Trade Rumours and FA Part II: Should we trade Girard or not ? Part 45

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Who are the other centres on the roster? Megna? There’s nobody left.

Bednar loves loading up his top line. He believes in that philosophy. I just don’t see them moving Rantanen from the wing long term.

Kadri, Newhook, Jost, Helm, Sherwood, Megna, Maltsev, Bowers, Foudy, Sikura, and Wingerli can all play center.

Bednar has broken up the top line a fair amount when he wanted to spread out the scoring. Mikko has just played wing on the second line.

He can still reunite the top line with Mikko as 2C if he wants to during a game, the way they loaded up with Sakic-Forsberg when they wanted to back in the day. Or how Edmonton has used Draisaitl and McDavid at times.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Wait is Mikko playing center now? If so I hope he obliterates it. Having him sort out the 2C hole and having to acquire a winger would be a much better problem to have. Add two more top 6 wingers (Kessel and Forsberg 50%?) and we have a true cup contender.

Reactions: jabubenice

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I wonder how many members of this board are aware Kadri is over a point per game?

I thought Kadri was gonna have a great year and so far he's on his way there.

But he's a pending UFA and they may have trouble re-signing him. And there aren't a lot of realistic options for a good 2C replacement. But they have Mikko signed already.

If he works, it'll be much easier, and probably cheaper in cap hit and assets to find a good top six winger, than a good 2C.

Most of the benefit for playing Mikko at center isn't about this year. It's about finding out if he can play there in the NHL before Kadri becomes a UFA, and preferably before the deadline.

SoftMittsHardSticks

Jan 3, 2014
I wonder how many members of this board are aware Kadri is over a point per game?

I don't think that anyone here is substantively complaining about Kadri's level of play thus far this season.
I think that a decent portion of the more dedicated and hockey-wise Avs fans anticipated that we would see his play rebound in a contract year (especially in a contract year that is somewhat unique, in regards to Kadri's current, arguably undervalued contract).
Keeping in mind that he is being deployed far more than he would normally be (on account of the Avs horrific injury record thus far), as well as that fact that the Avs have only played 12 game thus far in the season, Kadri's point total of 14 isn't exactly earth shattering.
On a high powered offense like the Avalanche's, with as many concurrent gaps in the offense that they have had all year long, Kadri's offensive contributions so far have been pretty much on par with what we would should hope he can provide.
He won't keep this pace up, and no one expects him to. But he is earning every cent of the next contract he receives while he is given the opportunity

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
If the Avs wanted to play Mikko at Centre, he would’ve been there by now. They only do it when they absolutely have to.

I think the Avs actually like Nazem Kadri, unlike a lot of people on HF Avs.
In all honesty, I think there is a chance he is re-signed. I'm not suggesting it...I'm just not going to be surprised if he's our #2C next season.

Reactions: Roy33 and Reparlana

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
In all honesty, I think there is a chance he is re-signed. I'm not suggesting it...I'm just not going to be surprised if he's our #2C next season.

My biggest concern with this is his age. I dont know that he's going to age all that great.

But if he's willing to sign like a 4x5.5M deal or something here, I think I'd grow to be ok with it. But the Avs would absolutely have to get a top tier 3C to play behind him as a fallback option in the playoffs if Kadri does his thing again.

Someone like Pageau or Danault would have been excellent add over the last couple of years. Perhaps they go after Andrew Copp this summer if Winnipeg doesn't bring him back.

Reactions: Reparlana

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I think they may re-sign Kadri too. There just isn't a lot of great options out there to replace him. That's why it would be good to know if Mikko can play center in the NHL, because it gives them another.

If they can afford it, I'd be ok with bringing back Kadri to be a C/W too and him and Mikko can trade off when they want to load up on the top line.

Either way if they lose Kadri, they need to replace his grit and passion on the ice. They're in a little short supply of both as it is, in the bottom 9 especially.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I think they may re-sign Kadri too. There just isn't a lot of great options out there to replace him. That's why it would be good to know if Mikko can play center in the NHL, because it gives them another.

If they can afford it, I'd be ok with bringing back Kadri to be a C/W too and him and Mikko can trade off when they want to load up on the top line.

Either way if they lose Kadri, they need to replace his grit and passion on the ice. They're in a little short supply of both as it is, in the bottom 9 especially.
Hertz and Malkin are UFAs and Toews, Horvat, Monaghan, J Stall, ROR and Larkin are in walk years.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You do realize that most of the C talk here is about getting someone with term because Kadri is almost 100% not going to be back next year right?

Reparlana

Nov 2, 2011
Manitou springs
I could be completely out on this one but I could see a world where Kadri is resigned.

Out of the media circus of Toronto. Org might plan on Newhook leveling up, Kadri to become 3rd c. Kadri signs a fair contract, actually enjoys being in Colorado?!? Fantasy land?

He responds to the call when needed. Suspended, sure, others have done worse and got nothing. I back the player this year. See what the new contract looks like if it does happen, then I'll judge.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I said towards the latter part of the season that Kadri was looking so bad was because he was no longer using his linemates. I also said that in the past he was a decent playmaker and last season he was plain terrible at it. I was told that I was wrong and that he was what he is: a one-man show on his own line. Surprise surprise this season he is passing a lot more and not trying to toe drag every time. In order words he is using his teammates a lot more and guess what...he is having success again. Kadri will never be a great playmaker but he is certainly capable to be a decent one and he is showing just that so far this season.

With that said I would be concerned re-signing him. He basically took a year off last season and now he is doing great in a contract year. Will he slack off again after he signs another contract? Nobody knows but it is something to consider for sure. At the very least the Avs would need to have somebody else to count on as 2C in case that happens or he gets suspended again...be it Newhook, Mikko or somebody else they trade for.

Edit: But I think he will be too expansive for the Avs after the year he is having.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

Imagine having him as a 3C then. I don’t think Kadri will keep up his point per game pace and he’s proven to not be able to stay in for playoffs. I think most people would agree that Kadri is a fine 2C, but having him as a dominate 3C would be massive.

Landy-MacK-Bura
Nuke-Rantanen-Trade
Newhook-Kadri-Compher
Helm-Jost-LOC

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Imagine having him as a 3C then. I don’t think Kadri will keep up his point per game pace and he’s proven to not be able to stay in for playoffs. I think most people would agree that Kadri is a fine 2C, but having him as a dominate 3C would be massive.

Landy-MacK-Bura
Nuke-Rantanen-Trade
Newhook-Kadri-Compher
Helm-Jost-LOC
It's cute that people assume that Mack doesn't demand to play with Rants.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

He's been good this year, no doubt about it. But did you know that through March 13 of last season Kadri had 24 points in 27 games and was 1 behind MacK and 6 behind Mikko?

Kadri has always run hot and cold. He'll be amazing for 15 games... then cold for 15 games. He's had two exceptions to this in his career 2013 and 16-17. I'd argue that 2013 was simply because it was a shortened year.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
It's cute that people assume that Mack doesn't demand to play with Rants.

lmao please share your insider knowledge with us. MacK has explicitly stated he wants to win and hasn’t won shit. If Mikko playing center gives us a better chance to win I think MacK could put on his big boy pants and accept not playing with Mikko.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I would want Kadri on a long term deal, but there's not enough money to go around.

Landeskog (7) - Mackinnon (13) - Rantanen (9.5)
Nichushkin (4.5) - Newhook (900k) - LOC (1.05)
X - Jost (2) - Compher (3.5)
X - Maltsev (800k) - NAK (1.075)

Toews (4.1) -Makar (9)
Girard (5) - Byram (900k)
Barron (900k) -EJ (6)

Kuemper (5.5)
Francouz (1.5)

That's 77 million, but you need two more big league forwards. Maybe you can choose between Kadri and Bura, but you have to consider Byram, Barron, Newhook, Maltsev long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad