Line Combos: 2021/22 Roster Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I wouldn't mind Domi-Roslovic-Danforth

Looks like either Hofmann or Robinson sitting tomorrow, as Domi draws in.

I have no doubt that long term Robinson is a more effective player than Hofmann, but Lars liked Hofmann last game and Robby isn't always in peak condition (hard to keep that Ford Mustang perfectly tuned), so I don't mind him sitting a game.

I do really hope though that they find a way to get Bemstrom in as soon as he's ready. The kid needs to play and I don't mind rotating veterans to squeeze him in.

Reactions: thebus88

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Looks like either Hofmann or Robinson sitting tomorrow, as Domi draws in.

I have no doubt that long term Robinson is a more effective player than Hofmann, but Lars liked Hofmann last game and Robby isn't always in peak condition (hard to keep that Ford Mustang perfectly tuned), so I don't mind him sitting a game.

I do really hope though that they find a way to get Bemstrom in as soon as he's ready. The kid needs to play and I don't mind rotating veterans to squeeze him in.

But Robinson is a perfect checking line player, excellent defensively, in PK. Which Hofmann isn`t. So even from a short term I prefer Foudy.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Forgive me this is more of a 2022-23 thing but I don't want to start a new thread.

I couldn't help but notice that Johnny Gaudreau is killing it again, and he's nearing UFA. I think this guy was dragged down for years by playing with Monahan and a pretty slow Flames team, but he's free now and playing amazing hockey. So of course it brought me to think about how he would fit with the Jackets if he signed here in UFA. I've been posting about getting Gaudreau for years so I won't stop now. The Jackets aren't as desperate for playmaking skill this year but I don't think they are near their fill.

First, which of these top three lines would be the topline? I'm more curious how folks would answer that, I don't personally care if there is a clear top line or not. Or perhaps folks would mix the players differently.

Gaudreau - Sillinger - Chinakhov
Laine - Johnson - Voracek
Marchenko - Jenner - Bjorkstrand
Robinson - Kuraly - Texier

The concept here is that we've got two teenage centers up the middle (not ideal) but we're going to support them with one of the best winger groups in the league. We're still in let-the-guys develop mode. If the team is really good and Johnson just can't keep up at center then you can rent a center for the playoffs.

Reactions: tunnelvision

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Forgive me this is more of a 2022-23 thing but I don't want to start a new thread.

I couldn't help but notice that Johnny Gaudreau is killing it again, and he's nearing UFA. I think this guy was dragged down for years by playing with Monahan and a pretty slow Flames team, but he's free now and playing amazing hockey. So of course it brought me to think about how he would fit with the Jackets if he signed here in UFA. I've been posting about getting Gaudreau for years so I won't stop now. The Jackets aren't as desperate for playmaking skill this year but I don't think they are near their fill.

First, which of these top three lines would be the topline? I'm more curious how folks would answer that, I don't personally care if there is a clear top line or not. Or perhaps folks would mix the players differently.

The concept here is that we've got two teenage centers up the middle (not ideal) but we're going to support them with one of the best winger groups in the league. We're still in let-the-guys develop mode. If the team is really good and Johnson just can't keep up at center then you can rent a center for the playoffs.
1. Roslovic is "Columbus boy" so he won't be traded.
2. Gaudreau is Gaudreau but I don't think so many great wingers is good. Somebody wouldn't play in PP.
3. I think the 3th line should be from young or one experience player there. I prefer the 1th possibility so that players would get experiences. And then decide what to do.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
but I don't think so many great wingers is good.

Why? I'll take 9 great wingers.

3. I don't think the 3rd line should be so good in offense, besides we don't know if Boone continues.

Currently Nyquist - Jenner - Bjorkstrand scores a lot, more than any other Jackets line this year, and that's with Nyquist lacking finishing quality. Imagine Marchenko, a finisher, taking that place.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Gaudreau would be a nice fit, but 1. Rumors say he wants to play in Philly, 2. Calgary will try really hard to keep him if possible, and 3. We would likely have to let Domi walk, trade Korpi, and one of Laine, Voracek (unlikely due to high cap number), or Nyquist (which won't return much) in order to make it work financially.

While it would be pretty cool to have him, I don't think it's the likely option. I think we're likely going to keep "building" through the young guys and letting the Johnson's and Marchenko's continue to find spots on the roster.

As for this years team, after he got moved off the 4th line I have grown meh on Hofmann. He hasn't been doing much and that "third" line is almost unplayable in spots. I thought Roslovic and Danforth had something going together, but I don't know if Hofmann is a fit there. If Robinson is indeed out for tomorrow and Hofmann goes back to that spot to play with Texier and Kuraly, I would like to see Domi on a line with Roslovic (assuming Domi can play) in order to maybe give Jack a boost.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
While it would be pretty cool to have him, I don't think it's the likely option.

Agreed. Though this is pretty much always true with any FA acquisition. I think the Jackets can make a good case if they look more promising than Philly, which might be losing Giroux.

I think we're likely going to keep "building" through the young guys and letting the Johnson's and Marchenko's continue to find spots on the roster.

Those two kids were in the top 9 I penciled out. What is the downside of adding a top winger to that group, if there are still spots for those two? This is not a rhetorical question, maybe there is a downside to it. I'm sure Foudy/Bemstrom wouldn't think it's great (or maybe one of them outplays Marchenko?).

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Gaudreau would be a nice fit, but 1. Rumors say he wants to play in Philly, 2. Calgary will try really hard to keep him if possible, and 3. We would likely have to let Domi walk, trade Korpi, and one of Laine, Voracek (unlikely due to high cap number), or Nyquist (which won't return much) in order to make it work financially.

While it would be pretty cool to have him, I don't think it's the likely option. I think we're likely going to keep "building" through the young guys and letting the Johnson's and Marchenko's continue to find spots on the roster.

As for this years team, after he got moved off the 4th line I have grown meh on Hofmann. He hasn't been doing much and that "third" line is almost unplayable in spots. I thought Roslovic and Danforth had something going together, but I don't know if Hofmann is a fit there. If Robinson is indeed out for tomorrow and Hofmann goes back to that spot to play with Texier and Kuraly, I would like to see Domi on a line with Roslovic (assuming Domi can play) in order to maybe give Jack a boost.
  1. Voracek`s contract finish after 2023/24. And Jakub could finish his career then.
  2. Bean`s contract finish after 2023/24, similar like Sillinger`s, can trade Nyquist ($5,500,000), Korpisalo ($2,800,000), although I very like Joonas but Jarmo prefers Elvis. If Roslo isn`t better I doubt he would more than 3 millions, if even. When I think about it... if Jarmo isn`t afraid to trade Atkinson, he wouldn't be afraid of Roslo either.
  3. If Laine stays here I doubt he would want more than around $8,500,000.
  4. Our reserve is $13,253,245. Even with Werenski`s calary we shouldn`t problems because, as I have written we could trade Nyquist (and it wouldn`t be important for whom/what because we have the youngs).
  • Werenski + $4,583,333
  • Nyquist - - $5,500,000
Columbus Blue Jackets Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

P.S. I don`t see any reason to stay Hofmann.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I like them. I'd be thrilled to see Jackets acquire Johnny Hockey. Supposing Johnson will be here next year and be able to play c position (=win faceoffs), the 2nd line looks very exciting on paper. Though signing Gaudreau would most likely mean Laine to be traded at some point in 2022, because of cap issues as CBJwerenski pointed out, but also because imo by moving him the forward lines would become faster and more balanced skill-wise (a well-rounded mix of playmaking and goal scoring, defensive awareness and offensive play).

March/Bem - Johnson - Voracek
March/Bem/Foudy - Jenner - Bjorkstrand

- Each of the first 3 lines would contain 1 goal scorer (Chinakhov, Marchenko - this is debatable if he's a pure goal scorer but I think he can beat NHL goalies with his wrister, Bjorkstrand, Bemstrom)
- First two lines have at least 1 great playmaker in them (Gaudreau, Johnson, Voracek, also maybe Sillinger and Marchenko)
- Players on 3rd line and Sillinger are more of two-way guys, and I think having at least 4 defensively responsible and strong 1vs1 forwards in top 9 is enough for the team to avoid getting instantly destroyed by a well organised playoff team in critical regular season games and in post-season.
- Not saying Laine isn't able to score goals, make plays or to defend as well as his replacements could do, but I'm sure Marchenko is already quicker skater than him in terms of agility and acceleration.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I like them. I'd be thrilled to see Jackets acquire Johnny Hockey. Supposing Johnson will be here next year and be able to play c position (=win faceoffs), the 2nd line looks very exciting on paper. Though signing Gaudreau would most likely mean Laine to be traded at some point in 2022, because of cap issues as CBJwerenski pointed out, but also because imo by moving him the forward lines would become faster and more balanced skill-wise (a well-rounded mix of playmaking and goal scoring, defensive awareness and offensive play).

March/Bem - Johnson - Voracek
March/Bem/Foudy - Jenner - Bjorkstrand

- Each of the first 3 lines would contain 1 goal scorer (Chinakhov, Marchenko - this is debatable if he's a pure goal scorer but I think he can beat NHL goalies with his wrister, Bjorkstrand, Bemstrom)
- First two lines have at least 1 great playmaker in them (Gaudreau, Johnson, Voracek, also maybe Sillinger and Marchenko)
- Players on 3rd line and Sillinger are more of two-way guys, and I think having at least 4 defensively responsible and strong 1vs1 forwards in top 9 is enough for the team to avoid getting instantly destroyed by a well organised playoff team in critical regular season games and in post-season.
- Not saying Laine isn't able to score goals, make plays or to defend as well as his replacements could do, but I'm sure Marchenko is already quicker skater than him in terms of agility and acceleration.
- In that case, there couldn't be Johnson, who's pretty slow.
- Laine is absolutely a different player this season, he plays what Torts so wanted from him. His offensive abilities haven`t gone. His bad skating, agility is overrated. I don`t think it`s so bad. In general, I feel like trading him is such a mantra for you. :sarcasm:
- Of course, if we get a good offer, why not. But those player(s) wouldn't be playing in Cleveland.
- The other thing is how much better Marchenko is on offense. I don't think he'll be better And don't forget he's only two years younger than Patrik.
- Bjorkstrand in the third line... serious? I don't know what to do with Bjork anymore. Have stats like MacDavid?
- Jenner plays great now but will he be continue even in this season?
- Forget on Gaudreau. He`s UFA after this season and I doubt Jarmo would take him if if he's not sure he'd sign.
So, theories are good but it`s too soon to say about the roster.
- Btw we wouldn`t have problems with salary cup.

Last edited:

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
In that case, there couldn't be Johnson, who's pretty slow.
Laine is absolutely a different player this season, he plays what Torts so wanted from him. His offensive abilities haven`t gone. And in general, I feel like trading him is such a mantra for you.
Interesting, I'm failing to see Johnson as being slower than Sillinger, Jenner or Laine.

Laine has only played 9 games this season, perhaps in the last 6 of them he's been "a different player". At least I still haven't reached clarity on whether we should keep him or not, given his history of inconsistency.

Reactions: majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Interesting, I'm failing to see Johnson as being slower than Sillinger, Jenner or Laine.

Laine has only played 9 games this season, perhaps in the last 6 of them he's been "a different player". At least I still haven't reached clarity on whether we should keep him or not, given his history of inconsistency.
- But not fast either. Jenner, Laine and Sillinger can use their body, he can't.
- Laine has changed his game, if you noticed, the positional game is completely different than it was last year and in Jets. Defense the same. That goes for all 9 games. He just hasn't always been ideal on offense, but it has improved. I`m afraid nobody knows what effect will the injury have on his play. Same goes for Domi and Bemmer.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
But not fast either. Jenner, Laine and Sillinger can use their body, he can't.
Even if we suppose that Johnson, Jenner, Laine and Sillinger are equally fast or slow, it is plausible to think that a 19-yo player has greater potential to develop and maintain his skating skills within next two years than a 28 or 23 year old. So my point still stands them being a faster team with Johnson and Gaudreau as our top 9 forwards.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Even if we suppose that Johnson, Jenner, Laine and Sillinger are equally fast or slow, it is plausible to think that a 19-yo player has greater potential to develop and maintain his skating skills within next two years than a 28 or 23 year old. So my point still stands them being a faster team with Johnson and Gaudreau as our top 9 forwards.
You can improve your skating at any time. Besides, I don't compare the speed of players like you did. Positional play is important, you can be fast, one well-positioned player levels your speed.
Gaudreau is already signed? :sarcasm:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Rumors say they have already made tentavive agreement on the deal, though they're hoping to get Laine's 10 year extension finalized before signing him. :sarcasm:
:) if without jokes it's still soon to make the roster. Would you think Sillinger will be in TOP 6, Roslo will play similar way (of course the season is still long), Bean will be so good, for example? Honestly, me not.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Although I would welcome it I think a free agent Gaudreau signing is a very low possible outcome and it's still a higher outcome than Johnson being ready to play full time center in the NHL next season.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Although I would welcome it I think a free agent Gaudreau signing is a very low possible outcome and it's still a higher outcome than Johnson being ready to play full time center in the NHL next season.

I don't expect Johnson would be ready to be a good center in the NHL next season, but I think the way to get him there is to play him at center until he is ready, perhaps with some AHL stints.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I’d love to have Johnny Hockey, but I’d be to have him play with Bjork. Jake continues as Laine’s setup man, assuming we keep Laine.

Other miscellaneous thoughts on the roster:
  • I assume Jarmo will try to trade Gus at the deadline.
  • Korpi won’t be back in 2022 nor will Domi (except possibly in Laine is gone).
  • Marchenko will be here and given every chance to be on the roster.
  • Questioning whether Johnson will be on the main roster in 2022-23. Also anticipate Bemstrom may well not.
  • Chinakov and Sillinger certainly will be.
  • Two current Monsters will crack next year’s line-up…..one will be the goalie; just not sure who’s the other or even if a D or F.
Just to be clear, not all of these are my wishes, rather it’s how I think events will unfold.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

While you are musing on Jacket moves next summer, what are your thoughts on the higher rated right defensemen in next year’s draft?

Simon Nemec
David Jiricek
Elias Salomonsson
Ryan Chesley
Tristan Luneau
Seamus Casey
Ty Nelson

I also don’t want to start a new thread.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I don't expect Johnson would be ready to be a good center in the NHL next season, but I think the way to get him there is to play him at center until he is ready, perhaps with some AHL stints.

On talent alone he can probably make the team next year but he's listed at 165 lbs. I was wrong on Sillinger's readiness but he is a much bigger player (not that it means much.... if you're ready, you're ready). I still think they rushed Sillinger here. We will see what happens IF he signs his pro contract after the season is done. We might see him this season.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
While you are musing on Jacket moves next summer, what are your thoughts on the higher rated right defensemen in next year’s draft?

Simon Nemec
David Jiricek
Elias Salomonsson
Ryan Chesley
Tristan Luneau
Seamus Casey
Ty Nelson

I also don’t want to start a new thread.

I haven't watched anything on the rest of them but Nemec and Jiricek look like future top pair D to me.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
On talent alone he can probably make the team next year but he's listed at 165 lbs. I was wrong on Sillinger's readiness but he is a much bigger player (not that means much.... if you're ready, you're ready). I still think they rushed Sillinger here. We will see what happens IF he signs his pro contract after the season is done. We might see him this season.

Yes if Kent isn't at least up to 175 lbs next year, then he probably should be in the AHL or back at Michigan. I forgot about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad