Line Combos: 2021/22 Roster Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Jeff Svoboda wrote his project lines for the new season.
Projecting the Blue Jackets: An early look at the 2021-22 roster

Because the future roster is difficult enough (nobody know progress young players, drafts etc) I suggest to make a roster for the next season.

My roster counts with:
1. young players will progress
2. Laine will show his game and resigned a new contract
3. without injuries
4. still without Domi (I`m afraid)
5. we want to give a chance young players more

Nyquist--Roslovic--Bjorkstrand
Jack is bad in defense that`s why that would be better so that he plays with players with quite good defense and positional play. Besides, Gus and Bjork are skill and have very good hockey vision/IQ.

Robinson--Kuraly—Chinakhov/Foudy/Bemstrom
Very speed line with excelent forchecking and defense.

Laine—xxx—Voráček
Jenner--xxx—Bemstrom/Chinakhov/Foudy

I deliberately wrote these two lines last. Because of the center. Texier has good chemistry with Jenner but the line Domi—Texier—Bemstrom played very good (I`m afraid, Torts let to play it only three/fourth times). Stenlund is, if he has his day, very good in offense and could play with Laine and Voracek (when we would close both eyes). But his defense is tragical. Dunne can`t play higher than 3th line although his defense and positional play are very good. Kuraly and Jenner..no. I doubt Danforth is a player for the first NHL line. Tex would maybe be ideal but often he keep the puck longer. So, I won`t suprise if Foudy play center because Jarmo and JD count with Johnson/Sillinger in the future, so they won`t trade anybody. IMHO, of course.
Why Chinakhov? Because Brad Larsen was one of the most favourite Bov Hartley players. And Bob Hartley was Yegor Chinakhov coach in Avangard Omsk. So maybe he will have a lot informations about Yegor.

Werenski, Peeke
As I wrote I count with progress young players, plus Peeke is RH

Gavrikov, Boqvist
Adam doesn`t have too good defense so maybe at least one season with Vladislav would help him

Bean, Lehtonen
Again, Jake doesn`t good defense. I think Mikko is better than Kukan and showed he can be good in defense too.

Merzlikins
Korpisalo

Tarasov is young and IMHO he must acclimatize to play in NA.

Of course many players can suprise us and I will be only glad. :)

Reactions: tunnelvision

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Stenlund will become the first C the team need. I hope.

Laine Sten Jake
Bone Tex Bjork I really liked that line but maybe Jenner will have to play lower in the line-up
Gus Roslo Bem
Robi Kuraly Foudy

Zach Carlsson bigger bet than stenlund
Gav Boq
Bean Peeke
Kuk/Lehtonen/Harry

didn't really consider rookie making the roster

would like to see Robi on right side with jenner and kuraly to see how it goes very strong line vs top line.

Also when you said that dunne can't play higher I think it isn't true as lots of player have the possibility to have a break out year.

Domi could come back strong eventually and maybe play first line.

Tex, Sten, Bem, Foudy, Angle, Hofmann, Chinakov, Dunne even Danforth could make the roster.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I've got...
Laine - ???? - Voracek
Nyquist - ???? - Bjorkstrand
as top 6, with Roslovic occupying one of those two center spots. I could see them having Boone out there or experimenting with Stenlund I guess. Texier may get another look in the middle as well.

You an almost pencil in Robinson-Kuraly-??? as a bottom six line. There's Dunne, Danforth, and Hoffmann to consider as well, in addition to Foudy, Chinakhov, Bemstrom so...I'll take a guess of:

Laine - Roslovic - Voracek
Nyquist - Texier - Bjorkstrand
Jenner - Stenlund - Foudy
Robinson-Kuraly-Hoffmann/Bemstrom
Dunne

On D, similarly, it's hard to project because I've got it:
Werenski - ???
Gavrikov - most likely Boqvist
????- ????

No one jumps off the page as a good fit with Z on the top pair, so who knows.

Werenski-Peeke
Gavrikov-Boqvist
Kukan-Bean
with Lehtonen rotating in a bit as they figure out pairs.

Elvis
Korpi

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Stenlund will become the first C the team need. I hope.

Laine Sten Jake
Bone Tex Bjork I really liked that line but maybe Jenner will have to play lower in the line-up
Gus Roslo Bem
Robi Kuraly Foudy

Zach Carlsson bigger bet than stenlund
Gav Boq
Bean Peeke
Kuk/Lehtonen/Harry

didn't really consider rookie making the roster

would like to see Robi on right side with jenner and kuraly to see how it goes very strong line vs top line.

Also when you said that dunne can't play higher I think it isn't true as lots of player have the possibility to have a break out year.

Domi could come back strong eventually and maybe play first line.

Tex, Sten, Bem, Foudy, Angle, Hofmann, Chinakov, Dunne even Danforth could make the roster.
I doubt there`re three offensive lines besides it isn`t too good the third line must play good in defense too. So, although Bemmer with Jack have very good chemistry I doubt they will play together. Stenlund... he played not ideal without the puck. Similar like Roslovic. That`s why I move Jack to Gus and Bjork. So Kevin with Laine and Voráček... I know the best defense is keep the puck but we aren`t Tampa Bay. Btw even there Palát playes with Kucherov and Point, Killorn--Cirelli--Stamkos isn`t total offense. I like the line Robinson--Kuraly--Foudy, speed, strong. excelent forchecking and can score. But Liam has better potential than the fourth line.

Kuraly and Jenner have very good FO and Boone would be better with more soft player.

I hope you`re right with Gabriel Carlsson. I believe him too.

All this of course IMHO.

Btw I forgor about Brendan Gaunce
Brendan Gaunce at eliteprospects.com
Brendan Gaunce - Hockey's Future
https://thehockeywriters.com/brendan-gaunce-the-next-ones-2012-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-built-nhl/

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There are going to be some tryouts, both at center ice and on Werenski's right side. That is in addition to the typical tryouts for young players. And I think it will take a month or so before things settle in to permanent lines, by which point Domi is likely back. I want to make lines for how I think things will shake out for the bulk of the season, and not just who will get first dibs.

Robinson - Domi - Bjorkstrand
Nyquist - Roslovic - Bemstrom
Voracek - Texier - Laine
Hofmann - Kuraly - Jenner
Stenlund

Foudy, Chinakhov, Dunne, Angle, etc... all spend the first 2/3 of the season in Cleveland.

Don't pay too much attention to the ordering of the lines, the top three units are interchangeable. There is some effort here to keep some basic defensive ability on each line. I would guess that Voracek - Domi/Roslovic - Laine would get caved in defensively.

Werenski - Peeke
Gavrikov - Boqvist
Bean - Kukan
Lehtonen

I'd guess that Bean gets first look next to Werenski. It likely won't be Peeke to start, but I think by mid-season he works his way up to the job next to Werenski.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Voracek - Texier - Laine
Nyquist - Roslovic - Bjorkstrand
Jenner - Kuraly - Bemstrom
Robinson - Foudy - Hofmann

(Extra) Danforth
(IR) Domi

Werenski - Bean
Gavrikov - Boqvist
Lehtonen - Kukan

(Extra) Harrington, Carlsson

Honestly, I don't think this happens as I think you'll see them move one of the defensemen (Harry, Carlsson) or they begin Peeke in the AHL to get games in. He's waiver exempt and that might play into it one more year. I could also see them moving a guy like Stenlund and keeping two extra dmen. I think they are really looking at speed up top and transition.

Reactions: cslebn

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
Merzlikins
Korpisalo?

Werenski - Peeke
Gavrikov - Boqvist
Carlsson/Lehtonen - Bean

Robinson - Jenner - Bemstrom
Foudy - Kuraly - Stenlund/Hofmann

With Domi coming back:

Nyquist - Domi - Bjorkstrand
Texier - Jenner - Bemstrom
Robinson - Kuraly - Foudy

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Merzlikins
Korpisalo?

Werenski - Peeke
Gavrikov - Boqvist
Carlsson/Lehtonen - Bean

With Domi coming back:

I can't imagine play without the puck Laine--Roslovic--Voracek line, especially in their defense zone. That' s a reason why I afraid to move them together. Or do you think it can't be a problem and Roslovic will know to play like the real center? You're an expert so you know more (without irony I don'like it in similar cases).

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
I can't imagine play without the puck Laine--Roslovic--Voracek line, especially in their defense zone. That' s a reason why I afraid to move them together. Or do you think it can't be a problem and Roslovic will know to play like the real center? You're an expert so you know more (without irony I don'like it in similar cases).
Well, it depends a lot on playing system. Im not sure about that, but in a lot of cases may Roslovic be ok there, last season under Torts may helped him, this will be his first full season here and he will be (hopefully) fully prepared for that role

Reactions: VeseleTlacovky

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Laine - Texier - Voracek
Nyquist - Roslovic - Bjorkstrand
Jenner - Kuraly - Bemstrom/Stenlund
Robinson - Hoffmann - Chinakhov

Werenski - Peeke/someone via Korpi trade if it ever happens
Gavrikov - Boqvist
Bean - Kukan/Peeke

Merzlikins

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Laine - Roslovic - Voracek (the we can score and our opponents will too line)
Nyquist - Jenner - Bjorkstrand
Foudy - Tex - Bemstrom (hopefully Tex plays himself into top 6 very soon, maybe Foudy/Bemstro can play into top 6 as well down the road)
Robinson - Kuraly - Stenlund

On the road I see Nyquist-Jenner-Bjork being the line we match up against the other teams #1.
Also I really worry about Foudy/Tex/Bemstrom on the 3rd line together and I fear we may see the 4th line getting pretty similar minutes to them especially early on.

Werenski-Boqvist (our 1st pairing D is also very weak defensively)
Gavrikov - Bean
Lehtonon - Kukan/Peeke

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Well, it depends a lot on playing system. Im not sure about that, but in a lot of cases may Roslovic be ok there, last season under Torts may helped him, this will be his first full season here and he will be (hopefully) fully prepared for that role
I want to believe to you. Although I still afraid but it would be really ideal line. Similar as your lines when Domi would return healthy.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Merzlikins
Korpisalo?

Werenski - Peeke
Gavrikov - Boqvist
Carlsson/Lehtonen - Bean

With Domi coming back:

Nice work. Think this looks the most likely on paper to start out IMO as well.

Whatever the lines end up being to start I’m curious to see how quickly the ‘Brad Blender’ reveals itself this year. Hopefully he’s a lot more patient than the Torts version.

Reactions: Halberdier

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Btw BOTTOM 6 are a lot of possibilities (without Texier who would play in TOP 6 inspite of Domi, Rinaldo, Stenlund, Hofmann, Danforth and Chinakhov). For example:

• Jenner--Gaunce--Bemstrom
  • Robinson--Kuraly--Foudy
  • Foudy--Jenner--Bemstrom
  • Robinson--Kuraly--Fix-Wolanski
  • Foudy--Kuraly--Fix-Wolanski
  • Robinson--Jenner--Bemstrom
  • Jenner--Dunne--Foudy

etc, etc... . And all would be very good, what would be important, strenght with good defense and not bad skating, some lines would have an excelent it with great forchecking. Again, it`s without Texier.

Next, I red Boqvist would be bettter with an offensive d-man. If we want to develop Bean and Peeke, maybe it would be better to move them to TOP4. Also give a chance to Carlsson. We rebuild the team and not to win SC already in the next season.

• Werenski, Boqvist
  • Bean, Peeke
  • Gavrikov/Carlsson, Lehtonen/Carlsson

IMHO, of course

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Assuming no trades or other FA additions...

Locks (100% chance to make the team): 16

Bjorkstrand, Jenner, Kuraly, Laine, Nyquist, Robinson, Roslovic, Voracek, Texier, Bean, Boqvist, Gavrikov, Kukan, Werenski, Merzlikins, Korpisalo

Likely (50% chance or higher to make the team): 6

Bemstrom, Hofmann, Stenlund, Harrington, Lehtonen, Peeke

Bubble (50% chance or lower to make the team)

Chinakhov, Foudy, Dunne, Gaunce, Gerbe, Danforth, Rinaldo, Carlsson, Angle, TFW, Bayruether

Injured: Domi

Obviously this is just my opinion and nothing set in stone (except the locks, I don't think any of those guys are at risk to losing their spots). with the locks in place and factoring in the extras at F/D that teams carry, we have a max amount of 7 roster spots available.

Mock Roster (Locks only)

Laine-Roslovic-Voracek
Nyquist-Texier-Bjorkstrand
Jenner-???-???
Robinson-Kuraly-???
???,

Werenski-???
Gavrikov-Boqvist
Bean-Kukan
???, ???

Merzlikins
Korpisalo

7 spots up for grabs between the "likely" group and the "bubble" group. Didn't include any of the newer prospects (Johnson, Sillinger) because they would have to play exceptionally to get a sniff in any of the groups.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Based on this past season, it will be very difficult to predict the lineup.
Very much is up to Laine and how he will perform.

Roslovic was our best center, but was not at all strong defensively.
Domi was the biggest disappointment and was awful on defense. Even it improved over the last few games when he was centering Laine and Bjorkstrand.
Texier was also a disappointment last season, even he had a good start. Maybe his defense was OK, but with a awful low production, it is difficult to get good total result.
Jenner: was only a little better with a awful lot of ice time.
Stenlund was maybe the best defensive center, but was not exactly productive.

In the end there is no center that scream I AM NUMBER ONE, and that even not on this team.

I actually thing that the Laine-Domi-Bjorkstrand worked very well the last two game and was improving game by came from when they was finally put together. So I see no reason to count it out.

Still the season will start with
Laine-A center-Voracek
Nyquist-A center-Bjorkstrand

It may not stay that way, but the four wingers will most likely be the top six wingers.

Longer down in the lineup it is two many new factors to predict anything yet.

About the defense, I will predict that Zack is one of two on the first pairing.

What more is, that the team will most likely start weak, as there will be many players, that need to find each other.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Stenlund as 1C? I’ve heard it all now
This is about as stupid as William Karlsson magically becoming a 1C. The kid is mired on third line here in Columbus. No wonder Anaheim didn't want him.
(This has been Great Posts in HFBoards History!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille