Line Combos: 2021/22 Roster Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So that is why they saves all of them?
Sheesh, hon. First Laine, then Chinakov... do you have some sort of grudge against shot skills or something?

* * *​
Rumour that J.T Miller is getting traded. 1C for us? What is the price?
Vancouver desperately needs RD and we can't afford to do that. So you'd have to come up with some sort of three-way arrangement, and those are infuriatingly difficult to balance properly.

* * *​
Btw, all our centers would be either born in Columbus (Roslovic, Sillinger) or at least from Ohio (Miller, Kuraly). :)
Dublin is a Columbus suburb, so Kuraly counts as a Columbus kid. ;)

Reactions: VT

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Btw what do you think about Andrej Sekera? Would be fit for us? His contracts finished after this season so Dallas could trade him and wouldn`t have to want a lot. IMHO he could be an ideal partner to Boqvist. Because neither Bayreuther, Harrington nor Kukan probably aren`t. I would like to return Ryan Murray but it`s not possible. I like Carlsson but I think Lars doesn`t faith in him too much.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Btw what do you think about Andrej Sekera? Would be fit for us? His contracts finished after this season so Dallas could trade him and wouldn`t have to want a lot. IMHO he could be an ideal partner to Boqvist. Because neither Bayreuther, Harrington nor Kukan probably aren`t. I would like to return Ryan Murray but it`s not possible. I like Carlsson but I think Lars doesn`t faith in him too much.

Is he still NHL caliber after all of his injuries? I liked him in Buffalo but that was awhile, and many injuries, ago

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Is he still NHL caliber after all of his injuries? I liked him in Buffalo but that was awhile, and many injuries, ago
What some Slovak fans said he played quite good in Dallas. It's a pity Kukan doesn't have more experienced because we wouldn't have problems in this case.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Sheesh, hon. First Laine, then Chinakov... do you have some sort of grudge against shot skills or something?
No, I don't have some sort of grudge, I am just not hyper optimistic, just because some has told their shots was fantastic.
Fact are fact, they don't score, and teams give them space.

Ask yourself, why do teams give them space? :skeptic:
The answer is probably not either of:
Because of a fantastic shot, so no danger!:sarcasm:
He has a fantastic shot, so just let him shoot all he want at our goalies...:huh:

I want goals, to prove that quality.
All they do is shooting directly on their goalie. Not even is it the iron that save their shots.
No all is what seams like easy saves.:help:

No you guy's keep barging about a fantastic shots, that passes no goalies why?:confused:
Because some commentator tells?o_O

Reactions: thebus88

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
No, I don't have some sort of grudge, I am just not hyper optimistic, just because some has told their shots was fantastic.

He has a fantastic shot, so just let him shoot all he want at our goalies...:huh:

All they do is shooting directly on their goalie. Not even is it the iron that save their shots.

No you guy's keep barging about a fantastic shots, that passes no goalies why?:confused:

Why does Ovechkin have so much space? Why he is one of the most shooting players in league? Why they give him that space? He has been 15years in that same spot when Caps have powerplay and have score maybe 400-500goals there and still he gets that space. Chinakov hasnt shown anything yet but Laine has proven his ability to score.

Reactions: MoeBartoli and VT

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

The fact that teams are keeping an eye on Laine is shown by the play of Voracek without Patrik. With him, he had a lot more free ice. Although he wasn't in ideal form yet, he gradually created more chances. Once Laine replaced Chinakhov, the opponents just needed to focus on Jakub.
By the way, Bjork does have 6 goals, but 1 of them was into empty net and 2 against a dead Arizona in the first game. In the other 14 games he mostly shoots on goal. To use your logic, opponents know that he mostly shoots at the goalie and that's why they don't notice him. :sarcasm: Even though you yourself know it's stupid.

Reactions: Jan

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
The fact that teams are keeping an eye on Laine is shown by the play of Voracek without Patrik. With him, he had a lot more free ice. Although he wasn't in ideal form yet, he gradually created more chances. Once Laine replaced Chinakhov, the opponents just needed to focus on Jakub.
By the way, Bjork does have 6 goals, but 1 of them was into empty net and 2 against a dead Arizona in the first game. In the other 14 games he mostly shoots on goal. To use your logic, opponents know that he mostly shoots at the goalie and that's why they don't notice him. :sarcasm: Even though you yourself know it's stupid.
Your are completely right about Bjorkstrand, but some of his shot did beat the goalies, to the iron out. To many was directly on the goalies.
Another different is, that you can not exactly say that the opponent generally give Bjorkstrand much space, like they in fact gives Chinakhov.
But I am a little disappointed by Bjorkstrands production lately, but he sometime beat the goalies and hit the iron.

Again I sees Chinakhov much like a young Oliver, that needed time to develop and and adjust his shot. Well Oliver did score in his second NHL game, where his general game was probably worse than Chinakhov is.
It may be I am stupid, but they do give him much more space than they give any of Bjorkstrand or Voracek. It at least tells me something.
Still I had expected it to be a battle between Bjorkstrand and Laine for most goals and between Bjorkstrand and Vorachek for most assists.
That is not true for the goals, but the assist fitting quite well.

Why does Ovechkin have so much space? Why he is one of the most shooting players in league? Why they give him that space?
To tell that Ovechkin is given a lot of space, is not exactly what I mostly see in the games I have seen, but he is extremely strong and mobile. Not that I think any of our player can be compared to Ovechkin. Not even close...
Wild Bill could not compare to Ovechkin, even he had one productive season.
He has been 15years in that same spot when Caps have powerplay and have score maybe 400-500goals there and still he gets that space.
No Ovechkin don't getting the space, but he moves around and suddenly when the defense trapped other where, he just is there.
The fact that he scores from that spot all the time even all know it gonna happen, just tell how good he really is. But teams exactly try to close him off at that spot. Often fails as well.
If Ovechkin was Canadian, he had been rated the best player of the generation, at least by the Toronto medias. That in fight by Crosby.
Chinakov hasnt shown anything yet but Laine has proven his ability to score.
Yes Laine has shown himself, that what is is paid for, but it is now two years back.
I truly hope and believe he will improve, even I not so sure yet.
I also as written before thing that Chinakhov will develop, but as of now, I do not think his shot has show to be a real NHL super shot. BUT I hope it will develop.
I Did hope his one goal would help him and it was not scored on one of his famously shots.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Your are completely right about Bjorkstrand, but some of his shot did beat the goalies, to the iron out. To many was directly on the goalies.
Another different is, that you can not exactly say that the opponent generally give Bjorkstrand much space, like they in fact gives Chinakhov.
But I am a little disappointed by Bjorkstrands production lately, but he sometime beat the goalies and hit the iron.

Again I sees Chinakhov much like a young Oliver, that needed time to develop and and adjust his shot. Well Oliver did score in his second NHL game, where his general game was probably worse than Chinakhov is.
It may be I am stupid, but they do give him much more space than they give any of Bjorkstrand or Voracek. It at least tells me something.
Still I had expected it to be a battle between Bjorkstrand and Laine for most goals and between Bjorkstrand and Vorachek for most assists.
That is not true for the goals, but the assist fitting quite well.
If you think Chinakhov, you`re right. If Laine, not.
Yes Laine has shown himself, that what is is paid for, but it is now two years back.
I truly hope and believe he will improve, even I not so sure yet.
I also as written before thing that Chinakhov will develop, but as of now, I do not think his shot has show to be a real NHL super shot. BUT I hope it will develop.
I Did hope his one goal would help him and it was not scored on one of his famously shots.
I never doubted that an opponent is extremely careful with Bjork, I just wanted to show that for every player the current shooting shape isn`t everything. Unfortunately, Yegor is not one of those players now.

Last edited:

Jan

Jan 30, 2021

If you think Chinakhov, you`re right. If Laine, not.

I never doubted that an opponent is extremely careful with Bjork, I just wanted to show that for every player the current shooting shape isn`t everything.
Let just say, we has already agreed that Laine has been a real surprise this season.
  1. He has not scored as much as we all expected and hoped, which to me is a frustrating but negativ surprise.
  2. But he has been very good defensively, which actually makes him a much better player, over all.
  3. He has actually exceeded my expectation as a playmaker. Again all and all a better player.
Still:
  • Still we can not keep hyping about his shots if the goalies had looked him out and keep saving his shots.
  • Still he had one fantastic shot on a fantastic goal, just before he was injuriered.
  • That just makes his inquiry even more frustrating, because he may just have being coming into some good mode and the rest of the way of what he where last season. (Not that was much of that left).
Again it is all about a perspective.
Still way irritating me, and that is my problem, that when you keep hearing yes he did not score, but it was a fantastic shot,
Sometimes it is of cause the fact!
But at some time, that argument also become the prof, that the shot is not that good.
Especially in Chinakhov it is the case. Hope he can adjust better and we will start, at sometime to actually see goals from that shot.

Unfortunately, Yegor is not one of those players now.
Unfortunately is exactly the point, because it takes to much space away for these other players on the line.
  • It is not the fact of the lark of scoring, it is the space taken from Voracek and the defensive focus put on Voracek that becomes a problem.
  • Especially when Sillinger and Chinakhow is not able to use that space and produce.
    I am actually not after them as much I am worried about missing out of Voracek qualities.
  • It is clear, that our opponent is adjusting to the fact of how other teams has have success against our offense.
    Just like every team begin to adjust to Seattles.
  • So we also need to adjust our tactic, which become especially difficult, when Voracek is almost 100% of the primary assists and he is taken more or less out by their defense.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

...so, in other words, the answer to my question is "yes, if they don't meet exceedingly lofty expectations for number of goals scored".

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Chinachov has rented an apartment in Columbus, so it's quite likely he'll stay here. We don`t have forget how much space Lars gives him. Let's be honest, so is Sillinger. Although I'm all for Cole staying.

Reactions: Byrral

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
...so, in other words, the answer to my question is "yes, if they don't meet exceedingly lofty expectations for number of goals scored".
The answer was NO
BUT Yes I believe what I see, not what hear others tell me.
I DID NOT SEE ANY GREAT SHOTS FROM HIM YET
this season
NONE​
Laine had one super shot this season, and then he got hurt.

Last edited:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
The answer was NO
BUT Yes I believe what I see, not what hear others tell me.
I DID NOT SEE ANY GREAT SHOTS FROM HIM YET
NONE​
Laine had one super shot this season, and then he got hurt.

For Laine,

Now, is he still shooting at that level, when his shot was IMO the best in the league? Probably not, but that doesn't mean he hasn't got a very very good shot still. And if you think teams don't play to take his shot away, I don't know what games you are watching.

Reactions: MoeBartoli and VT

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
We have 18 guys playing well in the lineup. Our center issues and RD issues have been lessened by great play from Jenner, Sillinger, Bean, and Peeke, but they may all benefit from being knocked down a rung. Still a ton of cap space, top prospects on the way next season, youngest team in the league, etc. It’s still a major question who deserves to sit when the forwards are all healthy.

My prognosis: trade a three for one, take on other teams cap, and make it hurt. Give up a lot but get a top end player.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
For Laine,

Now, is he still shooting at that level, when his shot was IMO the best in the league? Probably not, but that doesn't mean he hasn't got a very very good shot still. And if you think teams don't play to take his shot away, I don't know what games you are watching.

Yes and, where are Chinahkov super short, since it was him we discussed. and it was as a blue jackets?
Yes Laine had a lot of good shot for Winnipeg, not so many for us.
So what does it help us?

I will say all that fantastic shot he made as a Jet, helps us NOTHING.

I still want to see all these fantastic shots as a Blue Jacket or it matter nothing to this team.

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
He's always felt like a guy who doesn't quite fit. Not a center, but wants to be. Wings are kind of crowded. I can't imagine the FO wants to pay him $6m+/year to be a bottom 6 wing type of guy.

Next year could be...
Laine-Sillinger-Voracek
Chinkahov-Johnson-Bjorkstrand
Nyquist (if not traded) / Domi - Jenner - Marchenko/Texier
Robinson - Kuraly - Roslovic

My guess is they will move one of Nyquist or Domi at the deadline. Purely a guess, but there are a lot of young guys coming. With the cap situation, it's hard to justify having Voracek ($8.25m), Laine ($7.5m now but an RFA), Bjorkstrand ($5.4m), Domi ($5.3m now, UFA), and Nyquist ($5.5m for this season and next) on the roster at $5m+ each...all wings. Domi is younger than Nyquist, more versatile (RW, LW...a little bit at C), and right now is playing better when healthy.

Roslovic is an RFA this summer and the team has to figure out what his role will be going forward as well.
I want to see more of Domi before deciding contract or trade. But if he can continue to deliver as he has when healthy this year, I’m thinking contract. You raised the valid question about whether he’s a center or winger, and if the latter does the front office want to pay $6M for a bottom 6 forward?

When we think of centers we are usually looking for someone who can drive play and find his line mates. Additionally Defensive responsibilities come with the position. While Max struggles with the D duty, he’s excellent (when on his game) at the other - from the wing. That’s why he can be valuable. He’s a middle six guy who can play the second line or elevate a third line.

Assuming Max can continue - which I think he can do under Larsen’s system - trade Gus and use that money to extend Max. This comes from me, a harsh critic of Max last year. But he’s been as good this year as he was bad last year.

…..of course if he doesn’t continue, it’ll be trade time for both Max and Gus (even if means eating some of this years salary).

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Yes and, where are Chinahkov super short, since it was him we discussed. and it was as a blue jackets?
Yes Laine had a lot of good shot for Winnipeg, not so many for us.
So what does it help us?

I will say all that fantastic shot he made as a Jet, helps us NOTHING.

I still want to see all these fantastic shots as a Blue Jacket or it matter nothing to this team.

Laine's goals as a Jet obviously don't help CBJ, they are in the past, but just because he wears a different jersey doesn't mean his shooting skills disappeared. Last year was a crap fest, for him and the team, this year he looked good pre injury and I believe it was only a matter of time before putting in some sweet ones.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
By the way, it's possible that Larsen will leave the Chinakhov -- Silinger -- Voracek line unchanged. In that case, the question is, where should Laine play?
Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to try the Laine -- Roslovic -- Domi line suggested here, with Roslovic`s line as the second and Sillinger`s line as the fourth.
Although I think Chinakhov could be better with Domi and Roslovic because he could play RW.
I`m afraid Hofmann - often HS. I know he was good now but:
1. Nyquist will play. Besides he does many work in that line, in defense, play without the puck, takeaways... .
2. Gavrikov said Chinakhov will stay in the main team and I doubt so that he would be HS (look Jarmo`s words that Yegor will stay here only if he has a spot in the roster).
3. Patrik is higher level than Gregory. More higher.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
By the way, it's possible that Larsen will leave the Chinakhov -- Silinger -- Voracek line unchanged. In that case, the question is, where should Laine play?
Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to try the Laine -- Roslovic -- Domi line suggested here, with Roslovic`s line as the second and Sillinger`s line as the fourth.
Although I think Chinakhov could be better with Domi and Roslovic because he could play RW.
I`m afraid Hofmann - often HS. I know he was good now but:
1. Nyquist will play. Besides he does many work in that line, in defense, play without the puck, takeaways... .
2. Gavrikov said Chinakhov will stay in the main team and I doubt so that he would be HS (look Jarmo`s words that Yegor will stay here only if he has a spot in the roster).
3. Patrik is higher level than Gregory. More higher.
The most dangerous element in a Domi-Ros-Hof line is the speed of the entire group. If you want a change, Chinakov (and Hof) seem a better match than Laine. Laine also seems the best match with Jake - a sniper and dish man.

Reactions: tchigo and Jan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest