Trois-Rivières Lions 2021-22 Lions de Trois-Rivières

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
This is not meant to be a language debate, just an organizational related question I was thinking about. If Montreal or Laval were to sign a player from the OHL,WHL , NCAA, or Europe, and decided that they wanted to develop them or get them more playing time in the ECHL, in terms of integration and player comfort, do you think they would try to loan them to a team like Maine or send them to Trois Rivieres, where currently they would be the only non French speaker on the team? Is there anything in the partnership agreement that Trois Rivieres has the right of first refusal on said players?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
This is not meant to be a language debate, just an organizational related question I was thinking about. If Montreal or Laval were to sign a player from the OHL,WHL , NCAA, or Europe, and decided that they wanted to develop them or get them more playing time in the ECHL, in terms of integration and player comfort, do you think they would try to loan them to a team like Maine or send them to Trois Rivieres, where currently they would be the only non French speaker on the team? Is there anything in the partnership agreement that Trois Rivieres has the right of first refusal on said players?

Technically they can loan them. I don't see it happening though.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Wondered if he was going to be signed. Now he is.

3R now have two players from last year's Kelly Cup Champion Fort Wayne Komets (Galipeau and Mathieu Brodeur)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Look who decided to come back to us after ditching our camp invite for an AHL contract with the Bruins. :laugh:

AFad.gif

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Pascal Laberge could be an interesting signing for TR now that he has not been tendered a QO from Philadelphia.

He ran into injury problems in the AHL so far. Played junior in Victoriaville, near Trois-Rivières.

Reactions: wildD

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Other quebecois for Laval that can be signed : Pascal Laberge, Michael Chaput.

I hope we’re looking at leagues outside the Q and players outside of Quebec as well. Seems like the majority have been amongst that tiny subset of players so far.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
The way it works in the AHL, it's you have 3-5 max prospects (this year for us it's Ylonen, Vejdemo, Primeau, Brook) that has a real chance being NHL regular, the rest are only AHL career players. So why not signed all of them from here and have a team of proud local players ?

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
The way it works in the AHL, it's you have 3-5 max prospects (this year for us it's Ylonen, Vejdemo, Primeau, Brook) that has a real chance being NHL regular, the rest are only AHL career players. So why not signed all of them from here and have a team of proud local players ?

I understand your point, and in the case of 3R the need to do so to sell tickets. However, something inside me says that logically if there are around 25 Quebec players in the NHL, the percentage should be similar in the AHL and ECHL.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I understand your point, and in the case of 3R the need to do so to sell tickets. However, something inside me says that logically if there are around 25 Quebec players in the NHL, the percentage should be similar in the AHL and ECHL.

Yes and no. Why signed a career AHL from Ontario for example ? When he doesn't have much change to play in the NHL ?

I like that, I think we can have some good stories like Belzile.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
You want to win also, so why not sign the best available player? Whether he's from Quebec or Germany, as long as you're winning, the fans will come.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Lots of new guys, especially on D. New coaches. A few of these guys haven't even played a full year of pro yet because of covid. On paper they look good, but truth is, its a wait and see.
Alote of the new French player that we add know each other though.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Yes and no. Why signed a career AHL from Ontario for example ? When he doesn't have much change to play in the NHL ?

I like that, I think we can have some good stories like Belzile.

because statistics say that the player from Ontario has a slightly higher percentage chance of making it to the NHL. (picking from a bigger pool). BPA, always.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
because statistics say that the player from Ontario has a slightly higher percentage chance of making it to the NHL. (picking from a bigger pool). BPA, always.
No they do not. There are just more Ontario players to pick from. But since TR does not need 100 players, they are able to find plenty of Quebecers who will be of ECHL calibre.

Reactions: calder candidate

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
After signing Mathieu Brodeur and Olivier Galipeau, they now acquire Anthony Nellis. All three of these Quebec-born players were part of the Kelly Cup winning Fort Wayne Komets this past season.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
After signing Mathieu Brodeur and Olivier Galipeau, they now acquire Anthony Nellis. All three of these Quebec-born players were part of the Kelly Cup winning Fort Wayne Komets this past season.

JC Beaudoin also has a Kelly Cup win. Julien Nantel and Shawn St-Amant have 2 Kelly Cup wins.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Jul 6, 2016
You want to win also, so why not sign the best available player? Whether he's from Quebec or Germany, as long as you're winning, the fans will come.

Because there is tons of good ECHL level players in Quebec. Why not give them some jobs ?

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad