Trois-Rivières Lions 2021-22 Lions de Trois-Rivières

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

You can go vote on the name you want the ECHL team to be named: Nom de l'équipe

The finalists to choose from are (@Treb named most of them):

- Le Flambeau
- La Forge or Les Forgerons
- Club de Hockey de Trois-Roivières (CH de Trois-Rivières)
- Les Lions
- Les Riverains
- Les Saints
- Les Tritons
- Le 1634

I like Le Flambeau since it is a reference to the Habs and their symbolic use of the torch. I also don't mind Le CH de Trois-Rivières as it is also for Club de Hockey, which is what the CH on the Habs logo stands for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gyfu

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don't recall if it was posted last February, but I just read this article (published on February 6th, 2019). In it, the mayor of Trois-Rivières spoke about the new arena. He confirmed that he had conversations with the Canadiens about having their ECHL team there. He said he spoke with Paul Wilson and that there is interest from the Habs.

Colisée de Trois-Rivières: Éric Lord a discuté avec le Canadien de Montréal - L'Hebdo Journal

Here's a photo of the construction published about two months ago:

colisee-trois-rivieres-construction-5-juin-2019.jpg

The construction is slated to be completed in January 2020 and would be ready for the 2020-21 season.

Also to be noted, last month, the Colisée installed boards that comply with QMJHL regulations. It doesn't confirm they will be joining the Q, but they are just being prepared as that is one option they may opt for with the new arena.

It's either QMJHL or ECHL for them.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Can't see them not putting their ECHL team there, especially since they're going into another year with no affiliation with one.

Reactions: Fixxer

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
interested to see what happens, one way or another you want an ECHL team that you can have control of playing time especially with goalies since we have a lot right now baring any moves.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think theres enough hockey around the MTL area. Blainville, Laval and MTL is way enough. Add in the semi pro leagues and all and theres no room.

Edit: I didnt see the TR post. I guess Trois Riviere could make sense. They are somewhat between Shawi, Drummond and Victo but I guess it could be okay.

Has TR ever had a Q team or anything ?

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I think 1 of, if not the biggest sign of the depth our prospect pool, is that bringing and ECHL team to Trois-Rivieres is actually a thing to talk and be optimistic about..

Usually the ECHL (minus Michael Ryder I guess) was a league where careers went to die. Now we can actually use the lower talent level to properly develop project players, and young pro goalies. Pretty damn cool.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Players with AHL contracts can sign with any NHL club though.

That was around my number as well, discounting AHL contracts playing in Laval.
Yes, but you can keep a closer eye on them and they might feel thankful enough for the opportunity to prioritize us in signing an ELC. Not exactly the immense team network of the golden era, but better than what we have now.

Reactions: vokiel

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

The ECHL experiment in St. John's doesn't seem to have worked out for the Leafs. Despite winning the Kelly Cup as an expansion team, the Newfoundland Growlers will relocate since they couldn't come to an agreement with Mile One on the arena fees.

A few weeks ago, the Growlers' owner visited the arena in Trois-Rivières. It took me by surprise. But I initially thought it was one ECHL team owner simply visiting an arena that was rumored to be an option for the AA league. Some news in Newfoundland broke recently about the issues the Growlers and a basketball team were having with the arena about the price tag. Then it clicked in my mind that the visit to Trois-Rivières wasn't coincidental.

I'd be happy for the city to get some hockey. But it would sting knowing that it's the Leafs who got a team there and not the Canadiens.

Apparently, the Habs were exploring affiliating with St. John's, who was looking to bring an ECHL team to Newfoundland. However, they had chosen to affiliate themselves with the Leafs instead. And the Habs weren't officially affiliated with anyone, but had a working relationship with Maine and sent other players around the ECHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
McNiven isn't dressed tonight for Adirondack. The Thunder are the ECHL affiliate of New Jersey (NHL) and Binghamton (AHL). Binghamton sent Evan Cormier to the ECHL a few days ago. And so, Adirondack chose to dress the two Devils contracted players. Even though McNiven had back-to-back shutouts and was named Goalie of the Week in the ECHL.

it's why they need to get back their own ECHL club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->