Line Combos: 2021-2022 depth chart and lines projections

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Still blows my mind that people think White is a 1RW ahead of Batherson and Brown. I can’t think of a better way to suffocate a first line.
I think Batherson is better, perhaps a 1RW, but I like what Mikel said about his playstyle perhaps working with Tkachuk and he's less of a tic tac toe play finisher. That line can crash the net well and Josh has his sneaky good shot to complement. Batherson can finish off L Brown or Stutzles plays. Can still shuffle but I thought it better than putting White as a 3C/3RW.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I like the lines, but the centre ice position apart from Tierney is very inexperienced. That’s my concern, and I think the team will add a centre before the season starts.

I think, based on past performance, Dorion will acquire a C and half of posters will gush over it while 1/3 will be very disappointed in the acquisition.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
No one suffocates Tkachuk Norris.

Besides, it's about balance and chemistry.

As it stands Colin White's 18-19 season as a RW winger is only 2 points (2 goals) less than Connor Brown's 19-20 season, which is the most points in a season that any of our RWs have gotten to date, and Stutzle and Batherson as a duo have the next potential chemistry-wise in my opinion so I like the idea of keeping them together.

Paul and Connor Brown should also always be together.

Brady and Norris are hardly dominating this league … especially as a first line. Throwing a weak touch, non physical, poor distributor on the line will breakdown more plays than it supports. Offense dies on White’s stick. Baths hands, control, and protection are sooo much better than Whites and Bath is basically in a sophomore year too. Neither Brady or Norris are the types that can generate offence in their own. They rely on pressure and possession to generate scoring chance and white will break up those possession streaks, cycles, and dynamic compound plays.

Sure you can always stick your worst player with your best two to even out your lines but don’t Pretend that makes your first line better.

Last edited:

TkachukNorrisFacts

Makes Onions Cry
Jun 18, 2021
Brady and Norris are hardly dominating this league … especially as a first line. Throwing a weak touch, non physical, poor distributor on the line will breakdown more plays than it supports. Offense dies on White’s stick. Baths hands, control, and protection are sooo much better than Whites and Bath is basically in a sophomore year too. Neither Brady or Norris are the types that can generate offence in their own. They rely on pressure and possession to generate scoring chance and white will break up those possession streaks, cycles, and dynamic compound plays.

Sure you can always stick your worst player with your best two to even out your lines but don’t Pretend that makes your first line better.
Don't pretend that just because your first line is better that the team will be better.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Don't pretend that just because your first line is better that the team will be better.

Ehhh … ok.

It’s a hard league to score even strength goals in. Connor brown scores, bath scores… slagging them into 3rd line duty doesn’t make our team better but it’s cool if you think it does. It also really screws up your PP and PK lines … that probably doesn’t bother you cause you probably like white on the PP.

I get that White can be a tack on addition to any line for the sake of balance… but let’s not pretend he’s a 1RW. He’s 3 months away from having a hard time justifying a spot ahead of Sokolov and he’s not more valuable then Watson.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Paul’s a UFA… I wonder how his value could be pumped in a scoring roll.

Too bad he’s so valuable to DJ in a checking roll trying to win games.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Paul’s a UFA… I wonder how his value could be pumped in a scoring roll.

Too bad he’s so valuable to DJ in a checking roll trying to win games.

Nick Paul is never going to be put in a scoring role. He's just not an offensively talented player at the NHL level. Maybe a net presence now and again on PP2, but not a regular shift as a top 6 player

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This is the lineup I currently expect to start the season barring a trade:

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - L. Brown - C. Brown
Paul - Pinto - White
Formenton - Tierny - Watson

At some point I would like to play Formenton higher in the lineup to see if he can mesh well with more offensive players, such as Stutzle, to create a high speed line. If L. Brown does not work out at #2 C, then insert Tierney there to try to build up his value for a TDL trade.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
This is the lineup I currently expect to start the season barring a trade:

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - L. Brown - C. Brown
Paul - Pinto - White
Formenton - Tierny - Watson

At some point I would like to play Formenton higher in the lineup to see if he can mesh well with more offensive players, such as Stutzle, to create a high speed line. If L. Brown does not work out at #2 C, then insert Tierney there to try to build up his value for a TDL trade.

All i can say is with our centre depth, if Brown doesn't crack the lineup then he's finished as a prospect

Reactions: Cosmix

Crookshank

Brandon
Apr 18, 2021
Nick Paul is never going to be put in a scoring role. He's just not an offensively talented player at the NHL level. Maybe a net presence now and again on PP2, but not a regular shift as a top 6 player
I can see Nick Paul taking a leap in the next season or 2 simalar to what C. Brown did in 19 - 20 and 20-21. he has an impressive shot he never gets to use and he can be just as effective of a supporting player as Brown.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
All i can say is with our centre depth, if Brown doesn't crack the lineup then he's finished as a prospect

If he can’t outplay White and Tierney it’s pretty sad. I think is a virtual automatic that players like Logan, Soko, Pinto, Form etc will be more valuable in the lineup then those guys (White/CT) if they get a chance and stay healthy.

Norris, Bath, and even pinto blew past them last season. The next group(s) will do the same as this team gets more competitive.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Reactions: GCK and DrEasy

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Garrioch: With training camp just around the corner, a one-on-one with Ottawa Senators coach D.J. Smith | Ottawa Citizen

Since the first line will likely be Tkachuk with Norris and Batherson then it would make sense for either Colin White or Shane Pinto to get a shot to be the second-line centre.
“I want to give Whitey a legitimate chance to be that guy at the start of camp,” Smith said.
I guess that also suggests that whoever loses that battle will be the 3C. So either Norris-Pinto-White or Norris-White-Pinto as our 1-2-3 centers.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Based on the current roster going into training camp and the recent comments of D.J. Smith it looks looks like the primary open roster spot is 3rd line RW.

The RW competing for that open spot are Egor Sokolov, Logan Shaw, Pontus Aberg, Kole Sherwood and Scott Sabourin.

The Sens will likely carry a few extra forwards to start the season so it will be interesting to see who takes those spots. Logan Brown is waiver eligible so that could potentially help him. Ridly Greig will either be playing in the NHL or WHL so he could get his 9 games. Parker Kelly has impressed in the last two training camps and could earn a 4th line or extra forward spot.

Smith likes enforcer type of players so that opens the door for Scott Sabourin and potentially Tyrell Goulbourne to earn an extra forward spot. Sabourin has the inside track with the two way contract and history with Smith but Goulbourne could surprise. Goulbourne is the better defensive forward and defensive play is very important for Smith.

As a summary my early projection for the forwards getting a final look in training camp and potentially cracking the roster are: Egor Sokolov, Kole Sherwood, Ridly Greig, Parker Kelly, Scott Sabourin and Tyrell Goulbourne.

If 2 forwards make the team out of camp and no one else is waived or traded that would leave a roster of 13 forwards. The Sens might carry 14 so maybe 3 from that list will make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad