Line Combos: 2021-2022 depth chart and lines projections

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stutzle-White-Watson(2a?)
Paul-Pinto-C.Brown(2b?)
Formenton-Logan-Kelly/Grieg(9-games)
Tierney(13th)

This is a classic example of repeating something often enough causing people to believe it.

I get that Tierney doesn't play a brand of hockey that seems to align to what DJ wants to do, but he's an NHL player that can play up and down the lineup

You've got 3 prospects in your lineup and Austin Watson on the 2nd line and a legitimate NHL player as the 13th man.. Good god man, that ain't happening

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Based on comments from the team, I think there are two spots up for grabs at forward (Pinto is written in pencil and could be bumped)

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stützle-White-Brown
Paul-Pinto-?
?-Tierney-Watson

Formenton, Logan Brown, Sokolov, Kelly and Sherwood will likely compete for those spots, potentially shifting a center to wing depending on who makes the cut.

I suspect with Logan Brown not being waiver exempt he will have a leg up and Formenton probably deserves the other spot. We were told they want to give White a legit shot at the #2 center spot, but he seems like the most likely candidate to shift to the wing.

Reactions: Cosmix

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stützle-Pinto-C.Brown
Formenton Tierney- White
Paul-Bishop-Watson

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Maybe to start the year, but he fizzled pretty fast after 3 or 4 good games.

I think he surprised everyone with his play at the beginning so he got a little overrated rather than him fizzling out. In my eyes, he provided solid forth line play in every game he played. I'm definitely not against having him on the roster, but I want to give L. Brown a chance to claim a roster spot first.

Reactions: Puikiou

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Nick Paul isn’t playing behind Formenton on this team. He’s one of DJ’s boys and he’s a better hockey player than Formenton.

Not to mention he’s a UFA and DJ is going to give Paul a chance to see how much he is worth paying to extend or to maximize his value in a trade.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Nick Paul isn’t playing behind Formenton on this team. He’s one of DJ’s boys and he’s a better hockey player than Formenton.

Not to mention he’s a UFA and DJ is going to give Paul a chance to see how much he is worth paying to extend or to maximize his value in a trade.

Paul would be an easy extension. Should be done by Christmas. If they don't sign Paul that would be a very bad sign.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
This is a classic example of repeating something often enough causing people to believe it.

I get that Tierney doesn't play a brand of hockey that seems to align to what DJ wants to do, but he's an NHL player that can play up and down the lineup

You've got 3 prospects in your lineup and Austin Watson on the 2nd line and a legitimate NHL player as the 13th man.. Good god man, that ain't happening

Tierney will play some games, but he's definitely on his way out.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I disagree with this.
Paul is decent defensively but Formenton has a lot more scoring potential. Maybe I'm crazy but I'd be comfortable playing Forms on one of the top two lines. I believe he has game breaking potential.
Paul might be a better player right now but the question is for how long. Formenton is better than Paul at the same age and currently has the higher ceiling imo.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Id prefer they played Timmy with players with talent. Y'know. To help him get the most out of his skill set.

We don't have that currently. You don't want a line that's all rookies/1st years. I see him playing with White-Brown/Watson. If White can't cut it in terms of driving play/scoring off Stutzle's playmaking, Pinto/Logan will come up(hopefully)

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
I disagree with this.
Paul is decent defensively but Formenton has a lot more scoring potential. Maybe I'm crazy but I'd be comfortable playing Forms on one of the top two lines. I believe he has game breaking potential.

He wasn't better than Paul last season. I don't think he will be this season either. Paul just does so many things so well. Great hockey IQ and positioning, some good hands, and a hard shot. He's put everything together into a REALLY solid third liner package.

Formenton has a lot of tools that should help him be a solid contributor to the team, but he has to work on putting them together. One thing he has to work on before moving up the lineup is his timing and recognizing when to change gears. He has all kinds of speeds he can go, including blazing fast, but he needs to add some deception to help him exploit the smarter defensemen he'll be up against in the NHL. There's a huge gap in quality between the "bad" NHL defensemen and the average AHL defensemen. They're so much better skaters and much smarter. He has to adapt to them before he can really be effective.

Formenton has a lot of time before he reaches Paul's current age. I think he could potentially become a top six player, but he's not there yet. Another year adjusting to the league will do him a lot of good. I think Formenton will be a great option to replace Paul after next season should the UFA ask be too high to retain him. They bring similar things - making defenders' lives miserable - in different ways. It'll be a smooth transition if we can't keep Paul and Formenton takes his spot for the start of next season.

For the upcoming one, I want:

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stütle - Pinto - Brown
Paul - Brown - White
Formenton - Tierney - Watson

If L. Brown needs more sheltering, he can play LW and Paul + White can alternate faceoff and center duties. This is the forward group I want to see if everyone is healthy.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Based on comments from the team, I think there are two spots up for grabs at forward (Pinto is written in pencil and could be bumped)

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stützle-White-Brown
Paul-Pinto-?
?-Tierney-Watson

Formenton, Logan Brown, Sokolov, Kelly and Sherwood will likely compete for those spots, potentially shifting a center to wing depending on who makes the cut.

I suspect with Logan Brown not being waiver exempt he will have a leg up and Formenton probably deserves the other spot. We were told they want to give White a legit shot at the #2 center spot, but he seems like the most likely candidate to shift to the wing.

Of the 5 players you identify as options, I think Formenton is clearly ahead of them all.

White may get the #2 C position to start the season; however, I think it will not work out as he does not appear to have the offensive skill set to get the job done; more likely he gets moved down the lineup to 3rd or 4th line after about 20 games.

Logan Brown has the skill to be a 2nd line C; however, he is so injury prone that I think he will not be able to stay in the lineup and will be gone after this season if not sooner.

Sokolov needs to improve his skating to keep up with the play and I suspect will be a defensive liability until he does so.

The other 2 players (Kelly and Sherwood) might get a few games but I doubt they ever make the roster full-time.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Also, Watson is a better player than Neil. Not top-6 quality by any means, but he's a good poop-disturber/net front-presence.

Not sure I agree with that one. I think Neil was actually more talented offensively and physically. Watson is better defensively than Neil ever was by a decent gap. I think I'd take prime Neil over prime Watson all things considered.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ok, but the team isn't doing that. They didn't do it last year either when he was a rookie, so not sure why they'd start now.

Coaching I suppose. I guess DJ never watched the Oilers with Gretzky and his 2 sidekicks: Semenko and McSoreley.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad