Line Combos: 2021-2022 depth chart and lines projections

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I disagree with this.
Paul is decent defensively but Formenton has a lot more scoring potential. Maybe I'm crazy but I'd be comfortable playing Forms on one of the top two lines. I believe he has game breaking potential.

Yikes … potential ? Sure … but he’s far from the finished product Paul is. Formenton hardly laid a body check last year. He’s got a way to go before he is a top 9 player.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yikes … potential ? Sure … but he’s far from the finished product Paul is. Formenton hardly laid a body check last year. He’s got a way to go before he is a top 9 player.
I wouldn't worry about Formenton's physicality, he had zero issues with it in Belleville, it's definately a part of his game once he gets comfortable in his role. If anything I found him to be too chippy to the point that he takes penalties in the AHL, wouldn't be surprised if they asked him to tone it down and he just overcompensated.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I wouldn't worry about Formenton's physicality, he had zero issues with it in Belleville, it's definately a part of his game once he gets comfortable in his role. If anything I found him to be too chippy to the point that he takes penalties in the AHL, wouldn't be surprised if they asked him to tone it down and he just overcompensated.

I get that … but in no world am I putting his game ahead of Nick Paul’s … I don’t know if he will get as strong as Paul. There is more dirty pest in his game than physical player.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I get that … but in no world am I putting his game ahead of Nick Paul’s …
Because he didn't hit enough in a 20 game callup?

I think he's going to need to prove himself ready for sure, but like you said, Paul is a finished product, Formenton is still at the stage where big steps forward can happen year to year.

Training camp will be important for Formenton, but of the two I think Formenton has the higher offensive upside, so I won't write him off, he could win a spot up the lineup imo, but it's certainly not a sure thing.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I get that … but in no world am I putting his game ahead of Nick Paul’s … I don’t know if he will get as strong as Paul. There is more dirty pest in his game than physical player.

Paul and Formenton are about the same defensively...neither player is a liability. But if my team needs a goal, I have Formenton out on the ice way before Paul.

This is what I would like to see up front:

Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Stutzle L. Brown C. Brown
Formenton Pinto/Tierney White
Paul Pinto/Tierney Watson

Clearly Logan Brown is a long shot at this point but I just can't seem to let him go lol.

Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Lots of guys slotting Paul in as a C

I can't see that on anything other than a stop gap basis. Paul is a killer on the forecheck. He's huge, he's fast, he hits people. Getting in on pucks on the forecheck and making the D pay the price is what he's good at. Having him play C, he's lower in the D zone, taking away his ability to get down low first and wreak havoc below the goal line in the O zone

IMO, if Paul ends up playing C, it's because between White, Pinto and Brown are panning out playing C

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
You can not go with these players as your first line if you want to make playoffs.
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson.

They still have to learn how to defend and be useful as a shut down line.
Tkachuk is terrible defensively, not a great passer, still needs to work on his stride and his shot.
Batherson needs to work on his consistency, he is disappearing for a few games in a row.
Norris was never drafted to be a first or even a second line center by San Jose.
It could be a solid third line down the road. You just do not put players in a situation they can not succeed.

Sens have absolutely no choice, if they want to make playoffs in the future, generate some kind of offence and score goals, to develop Stutzle as a center on a first line.
You throw Stutzle with C. Brown on a wing and add a third player with a good upside.
It is only Sokolov. Who does not need to carry a puck, just to take it off boards and use his wrist shot and be available for a shot, which is one of the best in the business.
Sokolov just has to learn how to lock his wing defensively and Stutzle needs to be better in three things.
Prevent breakouts though the middle, faceoffs and be available for a first pass from defense and help them out in puck retrievals.

Second line should be centered by Logan Brown as the second best player talent wise on a team after Stutzle.
The pickings after this are absolutely slim. We just do not have top six players to play with Logan. Preferably we need to trade for at least one.
Quinn or Holtz would look incredible playing on a second line with Logan. But idiocy of Dorion is endless. You make playoffs with how many top six players you have.
Not defense and not goaltending. We have only Stutzle and I hope C.Brown now the way he plays and potential candidates for top six are L.Brown and Sokolov.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
What I'd like to see:

Tkutchuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Pinto - CBrown
Form - LBrown - White
Paul - Tierney - Wattson

Chabot - Zub
Brann - Zaitsev
Mete - Holden

ex: MDZ, Brown

What it will be:

Stutzle - Tierney - CBrown
Form - Pinto - Sabu
Paul - White - Wattson

Chabot - Zaitsev
MDZ - Zub
Holden - Brown

ex: Mete
AHL: Brann

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Paul and Formenton are about the same defensively...neither player is a liability. But if my team needs a goal, I have Formenton out on the ice way before Paul.

This is what I would like to see up front:

Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Stutzle L. Brown C. Brown
Formenton Pinto/Tierney White
Paul Pinto/Tierney Watson

Clearly Logan Brown is a long shot at this point but I just can't seem to let him go lol.

Come on - formenton has potential but he isn’t anywhere near Paul… team Canada wasn’t begging Formenton to play for them.

Zero chance Form > Paul next year … ZERO. Non issue to DJ. Form “probably” makes the team. Paul easily gets more ice time, higher leverage role, etc etc.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What I'd like to see:

Stutzle - Pinto - CBrown
Form - LBrown - White
Paul - Tierney - Wattson

Chabot - Zub
Brann - Zaitsev
Mete - Holden

ex: MDZ, Brown

What it will be:

Stutzle - Tierney - CBrown
Form - Pinto - Sabu
Paul - White - Wattson

Chabot - Zaitsev
MDZ - Zub
Holden - Brown

ex: Mete
AHL: Brann

That might be the worst 3L I’ve ever seen …

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
stutzle-Pinto-Brown
Formenton-Paul-White
Kelly/UFA-Tierney-Watson

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Zub
Del Zotto-Holden
Mete-Brown

Bottom 4 d doesn't matter to me. Whoever is playing better.

Do you mean D men 5,6,7 & 8?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
You can not go with these players as your first line if you want to make playoffs.
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson.

They still have to learn how to defend and be useful as a shut down line.
Tkachuk is terrible defensively, not a great passer, still needs to work on his stride and his shot.
Batherson needs to work on his consistency, he is disappearing for a few games in a row.
Norris was never drafted to be a first or even a second line center by San Jose.
It could be a solid third line down the road. You just do not put players in a situation they can not succeed.

Sens have absolutely no choice, if they want to make playoffs in the future, generate some kind of offence and score goals, to develop Stutzle as a center on a first line.
You throw Stutzle with C. Brown on a wing and add a third player with a good upside.
It is only Sokolov. Who does not need to carry a puck, just to take it off boards and use his wrist shot and be available for a shot, which is one of the best in the business.
Sokolov just has to learn how to lock his wing defensively and Stutzle needs to be better in three things.
Prevent breakouts though the middle, faceoffs and be available for a first pass from defense and help them out in puck retrievals.

Second line should be centered by Logan Brown as the second best player talent wise on a team after Stutzle.
The pickings after this are absolutely slim. We just do not have top six players to play with Logan. Preferably we need to trade for at least one.
Quinn or Holtz would look incredible playing on a second line with Logan. But idiocy of Dorion is endless. You make playoffs with how many top six players you have.
Not defense and not goaltending. We have only Stutzle and I hope C.Brown now the way he plays and potential candidates for top six are L.Brown and Sokolov.

Interesting thoughts. I agree the team to get some high end skill players; a #1 center, a #1 RW and also a top pair D man. The team will not be a SC contender until it does.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Do you mean D men 5,6,7 & 8?

Yeah, bottom 4 of the 8 listed. Not bottom 4 of the 6 playing.

Basically I don't care which combination of the 4 crappiest defenseman play on our bottom pair. They're relatively interchangeable.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
Formenton would have won ahl rookie of the year in 2020 if Norris didnt snap it up first. His forechecking (and hard hitting) was tenacious in belleville.

People sleeping on him basing off a couple nhl games.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Formenton would have won ahl rookie of the year in 2020 if Norris didnt snap it up first. His forechecking (and hard hitting) was tenacious in belleville.

People sleeping on him basing off a couple nhl games.

I’m a Formy fan … I just respect Paul’s game a lot too and don’t think Formenton will be ahead of Paul’s game in 2 months. It’s far from an insult.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If you had to choose, would you prefer Brannstrom be a regular healthy scratch or traded for Ryan Strome?

Trade for Strome .. no extension. 1 year , trade for pick(s) at the tdl unless we have a chance to make the playoffs. Jim Mora springs to mind.
Strome can help prop up the offense this year while our young group continues to mature and specifically Pinto has another year .

Not sure we'd get a plus with Strome for Brannstrom or if we'd have to add. I'd do 1 for 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad