2020 XFL Season Thread

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
A thought I had, because you have the level of head coaching that you have here - it's much better than we saw in the AAF, is that this could be entry level positions for players who want to get into coaching sooner, perhaps before their playing career even ends. When you get to NFL camps, these are already the types of players you're already going to be working with.
And if the coaching is seen as higher quality, is this more likely to open the door to NFL teams thinking about loaning practice squad type players to this league down the road? Obviously, it won't be the more injury prone positions like RB, LB, or WR, but could we see teams think about sending project players like QBs and O-linemen to the XFL on loan type arrangements?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
And if the coaching is seen as higher quality, is this more likely to open the door to NFL teams thinking about loaning practice squad type players to this league down the road? Obviously, it won't be the more injury prone positions like RB, LB, or WR, but could we see teams think about sending project players like QBs and O-linemen to the XFL on loan type arrangements?

I don't think they will loan their players. I mean it's offseason and those guys don't have annual contracts, are they permitted to be in both? I think the NFL could have a partnership with the XFL as a developmental league where if the NFL signs a current XFL player, the XFL receives compensation. Basically turn it into the minor leagues of football.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
How much practice time did these teams have prior to week one?

I think they said they had 40 practices, but only one where there was any hitting.

That'll be a function Oliver Luck and his people will have to weigh over. I think what you'd see sooner is players on practice squads eschewing the reserve contracts that get signed during the NFL playoffs, and then if their stock rises, they can get better deals in pre-season. Unless the NFL were to agree to it, that's something the AAF was trying to accomplish. The XFL also has a taxi squad that practices for when those players are inevitably needed. In being less antagonistic toward the NFL, Vince has been able to get more credible people to work for him, or maybe that has more to do with Oliver Luck. In 2001, the highest-ranking football official was Dick Butkus.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I think they said they had 40 practices, but only one where there was any hitting.
When it comes to innovating new ways to take advantage of some new rules, that's not a lot of time to work out the kinks of something like a double forward pass. It's probably also why we saw nothing particularly interesting when it comes to the kickoff returns.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
When it comes to innovating new ways to take advantage of some new rules, that's not a lot of time to work out the kinks of something like a double forward pass. It's probably also why we saw nothing particularly interesting when it comes to the kickoff returns.
The only real thing we saw was the one kickoff where the kick didn’t make it to the 20, which puts the ball on the +45. Otherwise, throwing the ball closer to the line of scrimmage brings defenders closer. I only really see it being effective in a shotgun jet sweep, maybe a screen pass, or a desperation bail out on a late 4th down that gets blown up.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Maybe a bubble screen type play where you hope the far side CB and safety start chasing which leaves the WR on that far side open for a lob? I don't know.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
https://www.xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/seattle-dragons-add-cfl-legend-wr-sj-green/

Dragons add long time CFLer SJ Green

At 34 he can still be a deep ball threat....didn't have anyone to get him the ball consistently last year in Toronto.

Always had a professional demeaner to him so not surprised he didn't last long on the waiver wire. I might have a team to root for now :)
Check his stats. He hasn't been a deep ball threat for years. Pretty much a possession receiver now.

Spikey

Feb 12, 2020
I'll be a Seattle Dragons fan! As I'm a big Seattle sports fan. Let's go Dragons!

Overall I was entertained with the games I watched on the weekend. Sure it's not perfect but the quality of football is pretty good. Let's hope it lasts longer than 1 year this time.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure why neutral sites are necessary for minor league football championships.

At any rate, here are some notes on the XFL's TV deals from the Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Probably will have something in there every week

The current TV deal is that FOX, FS 1, ABC and ESPN are paying $400,000 per game for production which they will cover, but the XFL is getting no money for television, which is a deal that makes it impossible for the company to do anything but lose huge amounts of money. The idea, which was the same as Al Haymon had when he bought time for Premier Boxing, was that in this case, you get television on good stations, prove you can draw ratings, and make stars, and then you negotiate for rights fees with a track record.

FOX and ABC/ESPN are both looking for live sports, since that’s ESPN’s backbone and FOX has both a sports station and the mentality that live sports are the future of television. Nobody was willing to pay money given the track record of the first XFL, but the value of the first week numbers for future television is very strong. The fact TNT was willing to change its deal so quickly with AEW for much lower numbers tells you how big a success this will be even they maintain at a level half this.
Of course the first XFL ended up leveling off at less than one-fourth the numbers of week one for the NBC game. And the AAF dropped significantly after the first week as well.

According to Las Vegas sources, the XFL games did equivalent to a major conference college basketball game when it came to gambling numbers. Again, the first week can be an outlier and week three would really be the best to get a handle on this.

The success or failure would depend on the ability to get a $125 million a year deal between the parties for 43 games over 12 weeks. When you consider what WWE has gotten for pro wrestling for 51 or 52 weeks per year, and what UFC has gotten for 42 shows per year from ESPN (although they overpaid to get the streaming rights to build ESPN+), and the UFC ratings were considerably lower than this on ESPN, the first week can’t be looked at as anything but a huge success.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Seems a bit slow today. First game was 27-0 and now we got 3-0 late in the 2nd quarter.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That was an interesting pick-six.

Flowers too worried about giving up the safety on the screen, he gives up the ball instead. 14-9 instead of 9-8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad