2020 XFL Season Thread

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The three XP options are interesting in concept, but I bet it won't be long before they add a fairly traditional kicked 1 point attempt. For all of the possibilities they hoped to open up, the result has mostly been teams getting only six points from their TDs.

The XP issue alone is good reason to bet the under going forward.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If anything, I'd say the XFL is trying to play up how they could be a partner for the NFL.

There's going to be guys on the field this weekend who are going to be on the field for NFL teams replacing injured players this coming November and December. No one's been willing to foot the bill since the demise of NFL Europe, so this blind spot of the NFL has always existed.

The three XP options are interesting in concept, but I bet it won't be long before they add a fairly traditional kicked 1 point attempt. For all of the possibilities they hoped to open up, the result has mostly been teams getting only six points from their TDs.

The XP issue alone is good reason to bet the under going forward.
If they did that I would be good with that, but I think it's good for this level because it's extra reps. The NFL will likely never adopt this because it's not conducive for player safety, maybe except for the 3-point attempt. Plus going for 2 from the 2 as opposed to the 5 is a different decision.

On the other hand, it would also still be good to be able to kick the PAT because most of these players if they make NFL rosters, are going to do so on special teams. But that's not Vince.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There's going to be guys on the field this weekend who are going to be on the field for NFL teams replacing injured players this coming November and December. No one's been willing to foot the bill since the demise of NFL Europe, so this blind spot of the NFL has always existed.

On the other hand, it would also still be good to be able to kick the PAT because most of these players if they make NFL rosters, are going to do so on special teams. But that's not Vince.

Obviously, nothing mimics pressure like an actual game for a Kicker. But, I think the XFL is more interested in giving players more reps in scoring situations than hoping one of their 8 kickers shines.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Obviously, nothing mimics pressure like an actual game for a Kicker. But, I think the XFL is more interested in giving players more reps in scoring situations than hoping one of their 8 kickers shines.

Yeah, that's why I think the conversion rules still work for this league, but I think it should stay here.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
An interesting side effect of this access to what the coaches are saying and doing is it becomes easy to develop opinions about them pretty quickly. Like how I came away from this game thinking the Saint Louis coach has a great demeanor for this league. He seems very patient and good at working with guys at this level. Seems like a good guy.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
An interesting side effect of this access to what the coaches are saying and doing is it becomes easy to develop opinions about them pretty quickly. Like how I came away from this game thinking the Saint Louis coach has a great demeanor for this league. He seems very patient and good at working with guys at this level. Seems like a good guy.
A thought I had, because you have the level of head coaching that you have here - it's much better than we saw in the AAF, is that this could be entry level positions for players who want to get into coaching sooner, perhaps before their playing career even ends. When you get to NFL camps, these are already the types of players you're already going to be working with.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I watched a little bit today. I love the kickoffs. The nfl will immediately adopt that or else they should be facing another lawsuit.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
It's very interesting how the broadcasts are not afraid to talk about the NFL a lot. They are playing up every player with NFL experience or potential.

The old XFL seemed to criticize the NFL every chance they got, especially Jesse Ventura. And the NFL was silent and just let the league die on its own.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
I watched a little bit today. I love the kickoffs. The nfl will immediately adopt that or else they should be facing another lawsuit.

It’s much better than getting rid of kickoffs. Or having kickoffs, but with a bunch of touchbacks in an effort to limit concussions. I’ve gotten tired of watching kickers kick it thru the end zone in the NFL. It’s such a boring way to start off a game (or half).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Don’t think we saw any double forward passes. Looks like it would be difficult to execute.

Sep 19, 2008
Don’t think we saw any double forward passes. Looks like it would be difficult to execute.
It's very sad that they didn't have any. At the game I was wondering where they were as they kept advertising it during TV timeouts.

At least I saw the reverse razzle dazzle for a td.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

That is the best part of it. It really brings you in to the game. I worry about opposing teams exploiting info over the mic but as long as everyone is listening I guess it’s fair game

Reactions: Vegas07
Sep 19, 2008
Good audio here on the XFL for those inclined

Vince McMahon’s XFL Reboot Looks 100 Years Ahead
2/6/20 by Bloomberg Radio
Web player: {{ title }}
Episode: https://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/traffic.megaphone.fm/BLM8363222387.mp3
XFL Chief Executive Officer Oliver Luck and President Jeffrey Pollack join Scott Soshnick, Eben Novy-Williams and Michael Barr to discuss a host of issues related to the business of sports, including what it takes to launch a new professional sports league. The XFL, which is being funded by WWE founder Vince McMahon, begins play this weekend. The executives discuss a range of topics related to the league and its business, including players, branding, rules and the importance of the XFL’s television agreements with Fox and Disney’s ABC and ESPN. Also discussed is how the teams are branded, why the XFL chose to play in major markets, and how long it’ll take for profitability. Luck and Pollack also talk about the long-term business plan for the league, and whether an affiliation with the NFL is possible.
Hosts: Scott Soshnick, Eben Novy-Williams and Michael Barr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad