2020 XFL Season Thread

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Huge CFL fan here, but I really sounds like the Covid damage was worse than what most probably thought. Arash Madani was reporting the CFL still needs more money to even operate this year.

Not to make this political but by HIS account, the Canadian government even with vaccines does not believe in opening as quickly as the USA. He reported the CFL would need money to operate with no fans, and that the XFL could lend some in exchange for other items.

If it came to a merged league, I think theres quite a few rules I could give up on if it was accept them or die. I've done a lot of podcast listening and reading various opinions and have come to that.

I legit think there are some rules the CFL does better than all versions of American football that dont even involve the downs that I think would only help the XFL.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Huge CFL fan here, but I really sounds like the Covid damage was worse than what most probably thought. Arash Madani was reporting the CFL still needs more money to even operate this year.

Not to make this political but by HIS account, the Canadian government even with vaccines does not believe in opening as quickly as the USA. He reported the CFL would need money to operate with no fans, and that the XFL could lend some in exchange for other items.

If it came to a merged league, I think theres quite a few rules I could give up on if it was accept them or die. I've done a lot of podcast listening and reading various opinions and have come to that.

I legit think there are some rules the CFL does better than all versions of American football that dont even involve the downs that I think would only help the XFL.
How does merger solves any of this? XFL not exactly gonna be flushed with cash.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
CFL took a hit when players opted to play for the AAFL and XFL the last time because of the salary differences and fewer games. Pay for the entire season was likely close, but at only 60% of the games so way less wear and tear on the body.

So, it benefits both leagues to not canibalize one another. See what they can come up with.

Lol. The CFL lost like 2/3 borderline starters (total not per team) to both leagues combined. The XFL and AAF had guys like QB Philip Nelson was a camp body for the Bombers but was a starter in AAF and XFL. Almost every starter in CFL made much more in CFL than those two leagues, even after the exchange rate. The XFL/AAF paid similiarly as rookie/backup CFL pay so attracted players looking for playing time, not actual CFL starters.

This is a win-win imo. CFL gets the attention since The Rock owns the XFL, XFL gets the credibility the CFL offers.

Cfl has been forming partnerships like this for many years now with leagues all over the world. The XFL stating they are pausing their preparations is only thing that has me paused. Im wondering if it might just lead to a couple of american expansion teams with the XFL basically absorbed into CFL. I think that that can work if done right. Americans tend not to realize how much more exciting CFL rules are. Canadian rules are just objectively more exciting. I enjoy both leagues since i like football but prefer CFL due to rules even if the talent is lesser.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't know how American CFL teams work the way stadiums are constructed now. The CFL field won't fit.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I don't know how American CFL teams work the way stadiums are constructed now. The CFL field won't fit.

CFL wouldnt target NFL or even college stadiums. Theyd be looking at MLS stadiums. CFL doesnt need nor is going to attract 60k people. 20-30k stadiums is what they need and thats what MLS offers. Places like Portland, St. Louis (to be finished in 2023), Orlando, San Jose, Columbus would be more realistic targets. San Diego, Hartford, Salt Lake City are some other options but their USL stadiums are far too small and i dont know well enough if any have other stadium options.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
CFL wouldnt target NFL or even college stadiums. Theyd be looking at MLS stadiums. CFL doesnt need nor is going to attract 60k people. 20-30k stadiums is what they need and thats what MLS offers. Places like Portland, St. Louis (to be finished in 2023), Orlando, San Jose, Columbus would be more realistic targets. San Diego, Hartford, Salt Lake City are some other options but their USL stadiums are far too small and i dont know well enough if any have other stadium options.
I was including MLS stadiums, at least the SSS stadiums. I don't know every field off-hand, but stadiums are putting fans as close to the action as they can, they're not going to be able to fit a 150-yard field.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I was including MLS stadiums, at least the SSS stadiums. I don't know every field off-hand, but stadiums are putting fans as close to the action as they can, they're not going to be able to fit a 150-yard field.

BMO Field is 3 years short to fit a full field, so the south end zone is 17 years. Width wise works as long both player's benches are on the same side.

If the CFL-XFL project has to go with one common field size. Either make the end zones 15 years and/or even make them 100 yards each could work if they're plan is to be in MLS stadiums.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad