2020 WJC - Denisenko (RUS), Schütz (GER) and Knight (USA) chase World Junior Gold

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Two goals were essentially 5-3 (Miller lost his stick on a regular pk) Still he hasn't blown me away...
I saw the Miller one. Was really a missed call but happens. It’s ok. I’d rather he be dominating college than this tournament rather than the other way around. Both would be the best but this tourney has made askarov look terrible as well. It happens. I wanted him to have a .935 sv percentage but USA is really not that good defensively so I’m not worried.

Reactions: violaswallet

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Huge game in group B today. Russia versus Germany, if either team loses in regulation they are forced to play Kazakhstan in the short regulation series.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Not impressed by Denisenko. Not doing much and now took his second stupid penalty against a pretty deadly German PP. Still plenty of time but I was hoping for a better tournament from him to be honest.

EDIT: And now he scores on the PP - FINALLY (Russia was something like 0-for-15 on the PP until now...)

Last edited:
Reactions: 16Skippy

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Not impressed by Denisenko. Not doing much and now took his second stupid penalty against a pretty deadly German PP. Still plenty of time but I was hoping for a better tournament from him to be honest.
I thought his first penalty was pretty weak, but you're right, the second one was a dumb Slash.

Schütz shouldn't be given a free pass either. Pretty Invisible game so far by him. Other than back checking and breaking up a three on one, he hasn't done much at all.

And as I'm typing this Denisenko scores a nice delayed penalty goal with a slapper from the point that was a triple screen.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I thought his first penalty was pretty weak, but you're right, the second one was a dumb Slash.

Schütz shouldn't be given a free pass either. Pretty Invisible game so far by him. Other than back checking and breaking up a three on one, he hasn't done much at all.

And as I'm typing this Denisenko scores that nice delayed penalty goal with a slapper from the point that was a triple screen.
TBH Schutz has seemed more noticeable to me than Deni until now with the goal... plus he's a 6th round pick; the expectations are inevitably lower (for now at least).

Not our guy but Stutzle has been excellent for the Germans whole tournament... He was already expected to go as early as 3rd but I wonder if there's a chance he could challenge Byfield for 2nd overall?

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
TBH Schutz has seemed more noticeable to me than Deni until now with the goal... plus he's a 6th round pick; the expectations are inevitably lower (for now at least).

Not our guy but Stutzle has been excellent for the Germans whole tournament... He was already expected to go as early as 3rd but I wonder if there's a chance he could challenge Byfield for 2nd overall?

It's 5-0 for the Russians in the second intermission. Germans look defeated, knowing now they'll most likely face Kazakhstan in a best-of-three regulation series. It seems as though it's too much for the Germans to play Canada and Russia on a B2B.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
It's 5-0 for the Russians in the second intermission. Germans look defeated, knowing now they'll most likely face Kazakhstan in a best-of-three regulation series. It seems as though it's too much for the Germans to play Canada and Russia on a B2B.
It's really too bad about the seeding because that's for once a pretty good German team. If they were in the other group, they most likely advance.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
So the best player of Germans in the game is the goalie despite only playing 40 minutes and giving up five goals... and can't even really disagree with the pick.
One of those situations.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
So the best player of Germans in the game is the goalie despite only playing 40 minutes and giving up five goals... and can't even really disagree with the pick.
One of those situations.

He sure was. Hane made some quality saves but at the end the Russians were able to run up the score...Germans couldnt do much. Schütz made a really nice play on a backcheck to break up a scoring chance and a possible 2 on1

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Denisenko with two primary assists in the QF game against the Swiss, included an assist on the GWG (game ended 3-1). Some amazing stickhandling and nice defensive moves by him early in the third...

1st assist:

2nd assist:

Good to see him turning it on late in the tournament to help secure the win and birth into next round but I didn't have many worries he would have trouble against the teens.

For me, he needs to come over to NA next year, his development in KHL has been underwhelming. He's on the cusp of being an untouchable for me but right now, sits outside it and I would move him in a package, if for the right piece on D. Hopefully he's a good replacement for Dadonov in a few years if he keeps improving.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Deni's hands and vision are something else. He's gonna make it to the show, if he stays and makes a success of himself idk, but I have to think he'll at least turn out decent. There's just too much talent and skating skill there. I agree he needs to come to NA next season. We need to keep closer tabs on him, help him along more in his development, and this way we'll also be able to really push and guide him with his weight training. Once he bulks up, he'll be ready for the nhl.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
What's Denisenko's contract status in KHL? IIRC, I think he signed for this season and next? Would rather see him come over next season, but to be honest, if its Springfield or KHL, I'd rather see him stay over there until he's ready for the main roster.

To be completely honest, I'd rather keep our top guys away from the AHL...I have little to no trust/faith in this development path for our organization.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Deni's hands and vision are something else. He's gonna make it to the show, if he stays and makes a success of himself idk, but I have to think he'll at least turn out decent. There's just too much talent and skating skill there. I agree he needs to come to NA next season. We need to keep closer tabs on him, help him along more in his development, and this way we'll also be able to really push and guide him with his weight training. Once he bulks up, he'll be ready for the nhl.

What's Denisenko's contract status in KHL? IIRC, I think he signed for this season and next? Would rather see him come over next season, but to be honest, if its Springfield or KHL, I'd rather see him stay over there until he's ready for the main roster.

To be completely honest, I'd rather keep our top guys away from the AHL...I have little to no trust/faith in this development path for our organization.

The skill is definitely there and he has a bit of grit/determination to him. I like that he seems to be a line driver both 5 on 5 and on the PP. He's a leader and not a passenger in that sense.

Kinnear may be on the hot seat if SPR don't make it this year. He's been there since the 16-17 season and has yet to make the playoffs. Missed by 7-8pts last year iirc and right now they're close as average as they've been but they need a good run soon or it may be a similar season to 18-19.

I felt this year would be the first in a while where we have both SPR and FLA in the playoffs and start building a playoff winning culture going forward. I do agree with you @Montsy14 about maybe keeping him away from AHL but his KHL team hasn't been that good this year as well.

As for his contract, it ends this year as per this article here: Panthers' Grigori Denisenko: Carries Russia to WJC semis

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

I hope itzs not only skating skill, we saw it this Season with Trocheck, Rieder and other Players. Where everything belongs to the skating, only goes so long great to good aslong they not serious or long term Injured.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I’ve been super impressed with Spencer Knight this game. Can’t believe he hasn’t fallen asleep. Mental fortitude. In all seriousness he made a pretty nice breakaway save but other than that hasn’t been tested.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I hope itzs not only skating skill, we saw it this Season with Trocheck, Rieder and other Players. Where everything belongs to the skating, only goes so long great to good aslong they not serious or long term Injured.

Even skating aside, he's a very gifted talent. His skating just accentuates it. But he doesn't just rely on his speed. Even if he lost his speed, he could still be a very deceptive player. Trocheck never had his kind of offensive arsenal. He was a speedy north south player who tried to beat everyone outside. Very predictable.

Denisenko is a classic product of the Russian school. Exceptional at every aspect of skating. The agility, the cutbacks, great edgework, changes of pace. Even if more Russians have tried to blend North American in their games...Denisenko is throwback Russian forward.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Even skating aside, he's a very gifted talent. His skating just accentuates it. But he doesn't just rely on his speed. Even if he lost his speed, he could still be a very deceptive player. Trocheck never had his kind of offensive arsenal. He was a speedy north south player who tried to beat everyone outside. Very predictable.

Denisenko is a classic product of the Russian school. Exceptional at every aspect of skating. The agility, the cutbacks, great edgework, changes of pace. Even if more Russians have tried to blend North American in their games...Denisenko is throwback Russian forward.

I didnt followed Denisenko, KHL is not my that i follow it so much. I saw only 3 or 4 Games with him, not more. From that its hard to judge. We will see if he wants next Year to be here and how much he can transition from his Game, when he come to North America.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

Yes, another skilled but weak forward.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

In what sense though?

Trocheck:
1.13 PPG in 264 OHL games
0.78 PPG in 78 AHL games
0.67 PPG in 397 NHL games

For a 3rd round pick, those are really good numbers.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad