2020 WJC - Denisenko (RUS), Schütz (GER) and Knight (USA) chase World Junior Gold

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Heyton being reason #134 why I just can’t root for the Canadian team. Yeah, Canada is still the world’s overall hockey superpower, with 6-7% of the nation being actively involved in the sport by playing at some level (Finland being second with 3-4% participation rate), so some there seem to think it’s “understandable” for them to lord their hockey status over others (because that’s their main thing).

But the way it’s done is IMO with an in your face hypocrisy: when Canada wins, it was “expected”, and when Canada loses it was a “letdown” or “losing to ourselves”. Rarely is it a sincere “the other team was better”. Until they learn some humility, perhaps the Canadian NHL teams will not win the SCF, due to hockey karma. Sorry to the great Canadian fans here, sorry to be so blunt, but that’s been my observation over the years.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Heyton being reason #134 why I just can’t root for the Canadian team. Yeah, Canada is still the world’s overall hockey superpower, with 6-7% of the nation being actively involved in the sport by playing at some level (Finland being second with 3-4% participation rate), so some there seem to think it’s “understandable” for them to lord their hockey status over others (because that’s their main thing).

But the way it’s done is IMO with an in your face hypocrisy: when Canada wins, it was “expected”, and when Canada loses it was a “letdown” or “losing to ourselves”. Rarely is it a sincere “the other team was better”. Until they learn some humility, perhaps the Canadian NHL teams will not win the SCF, due to hockey karma. Sorry to the great Canadian fans here, sorry to be so blunt, but that’s been my observation over the years.
You probably shouldnt generalize for Canadians everywhere when you arent one.

This one young mans actions dont speak for a nation. In fact I am pretty sure this exact incident happened in reverse just last year, with the Russians disrespecting the Canadian anthem. Doesnt make it right.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
You probably shouldnt generalize for Canadians when you arent one.

This one young mans actions dont speak for a nation.
I understood that before I wrote what I did. I know there are many great and humble Canadian players and fans. Their voices don’t come through the vocal minority.

I’m not condemning the nation, I’m only saying why I can’t root for their team.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I understood that before I wrote what I did. I know there are many great and humble Canadian players and fans. Their voices don’t come through the vocal minority.

I’m not condemning the nation, I’m only saying why I can’t root for their team.
You would be hard pressed to prove that the "majority" of Canadians feel that way.

The vast majority have condemned the actions, and he apologized.

What you are doing is called confirmation bias.

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Excellent play by him all game. Deservedly chosen as the US best player.
Denisenko seemed not to do much until it became 3-1, then he turned it on.
I think it is more that they're not giving him top-line minutes. Pretty tough when he has to do it by himself... even though imo he is the most noticable Russian player

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I think it is more that they're not giving him top-line minutes. Pretty tough when he has to do it by himself... even though imo he is the most noticable Russian player
True - it seems they weren't using him enough, at least until they were clearly losing and needed goals.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'm watching Canada Germany this morning.
Schütz again looks good. Flying as usual. Very defensively responsible on the ice, always thinking defense first it seems. Got robbed on a two on one early in the second.

Bergenheim lite a bit? Does he have a physical side to him? Seems like a good bottom 6 player if he hits his ceiling

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

From yesterday. Schutz 1 second shift

that's pretty funny. I like guys with sandpaper, but he's got to learn to adjust to the refs, it happens sometimes and a smart player figures that out instead of putting his team down a man.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Bergenheim lite a bit? Does he have a physical side to him? Seems like a good bottom 6 player if he hits his ceiling
Yeah I would say he's somewhat like him. Also maybe: Hagman, Matt Cullen, Tommy Fitzgerald. Something along those lines, but a Center. Again, very fast.

He does seem to have a physical side to him. He did get 5 minor penalties last game he played. He seems a wee bit light though to be in the NHL anytime soon Imo. Listed at 180 lbs, but definitely looks smaller than that.

But for a sixth-round pick in '18, I really like this selection.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I'm watching Canada Germany this morning.
Schütz again looks good. Flying as usual. Very defensively responsible on the ice, always thinking defense first it seems. Got robbed on a two on one early in the second.

Yeah I would say he's somewhat like him. Also maybe: Hagman, Matt Cullen, Tommy Fitzgerald. Something along those lines, but a Center. Again, very fast.

He does seem to have a physical side to him. He did get 5 minor penalties last game he played. He seems a wee bit light though to be in the NHL anytime soon Imo. Listed at 180 lbs, but definitely looks smaller than that.

But for a sixth-round pick in '18, I really like this selection.
Agreed about Schutz - I've been impressed by his defensive play and his physicallity despite his lack of size. I liked him offensively last year at the Division1-WJC but this is new.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad