2020 Weather Thread.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Helps keep the mosquitoes away. Had one day last week with no wind and got eaten alive.
Tonight I received the daily double. Was out weeding and got an ear ache from the wild winds. AND got eaten alive by hordes of mosquitos.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

"However, the species Edmonton is seeing now doesn’t paint a very clear picture on what the summer will look like, since the mosquitoes that make up the summer wave are different and haven’t started hatching yet.
“We are not seeing yet our typical summer species Aedes vexans. Typically, that species doesn’t show up until well into June,” Jenkins said.
He said that by late July that species, which is the “typical” ankle-biting mosquito people think of that is most active at dawn and dusk, makes up 99.9 per cent of the pests."

Wonderful. These are just the pre-mosquitos.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yesterday was a weird one at my place. It must've rained 5 different times between 6-9pm. The one time it was so sunny I couldn't believe it was raining.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
3:35 PM MDT Saturday 06 June 2020
Rainfall warning in effect for:
  • City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park
Rain, at times heavy, is expected.

A low pressure system in Montana will move northward tonight and is expected to bring widespread rain to Alberta overnight into Sunday. Total rainfall amounts of 50-75 mm by Monday morning are likely.

For areas near Coronation and Medicine Hat, local rainfall amounts may be higher in thunderstorms tonight. Rain is expected to end by Sunday evening.

For areas near Edmonton and to the east, scattered showers this evening will become more widespread through the overnight period and will persist through Sunday before ending early Monday morning.
Heavy downpours can cause flash floods and water pooling on roads.

Rainfall warnings are issued when significant rainfall is expected.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports using #ABStorm.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its 9pm and its 5C feels like 3C according to local weather and temp has been plummeting all day. Continues to rain like a monsoon for around 50hrs and counting now. Most of our garden I've had tarped up and dumping water off so the plants don't drown all weekend. Had to peg poles in there like building tents so the plants don't get squashed and the tarps drain off a bit. Now I've covered everything up and just assume its freezing over night. jebus h Christ. We're 2 weeks from longest day of the year, what is usually solid airtight growing season and plants are just getting killed out there. Whatever isn't drooping from near frost is getting drowned.

A lot of the one time covid gardeners are going to be giving up the ghost after this experience. Been gardening for decades and have never seen anything like this. fortunately I build a greenhouse and we have about 50 potting plants in there and everything else we could tarped off.

With weather like it its getting to be impossible to grow much without it getting inundated with all kinds of weather.

my condolences to the guy who said he was going out to fish lake this weekend. The lake is probably all over the highway right about now in the low points.

Heard theres some flooding in many regions in Alberta and possible evacuations. f*** this year.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Would be a mosquito infested swamp by now. Some of those campgrounds are tougher to get around in, in the mud. Not great camping weather. Drinking maybe.. Nice area but too wet to do much of anything right now.

Nordegg report:
Lucked out with the weather Thursday thru Saturday eve.
Rain started Saturday 10 pm...all night and morning.
Mosquitos were a non factor...a little Muskol did the trick.
Nice area, will be back.
On another note, campsite was dead slow...which was great.
Unfortunately no one knows what social distancing is as Crescent falls was full of tourists and hillbilly’s.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Nordegg report:
Lucked out with the weather Thursday thru Saturday eve.
Rain started Saturday 10 pm...all night and morning.
Mosquitos were a non factor...a little Muskol did the trick.
Nice area, will be back.
On another note, campsite was dead slow...which was great.
Unfortunately no one knows what social distancing is as Crescent falls was full of tourists and hillbilly’s.

First time I went to Crescent Falls was the 70's and only locals seemed to know about the place. You could spend an afternoon there almost alone.

Here it rained all day Saturday, Sunday. now its going to be raining tomorrow too. Theres places that are getting 4 or more inches of rain all totaled from this rotating system which is just absolutely insane. that amount of water guaranteed to create flooding.

Last edited:

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
First time I went to Crescent Falls was the 70's and only locals seemed to know about the place. You could spend an afternoon there almost alone.

Here it rained all day Saturday, Sunday. now its going to be raining tomorrow too. Theres places that are getting 4 or more inches of rain all totaled from this rotating system which is just absolutely insane. that amount of water guaranteed to create flooding.

Crescent falls campsite...crazy crossing the creek there to get in.
5D45EFEE-E85E-4FF1-A420-B5B28AA3F5A4.jpeg

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Anybody else on Southside suddenly getting a ton of smoke in the area? just around dusk really smelling a lot of smoke outside. Went from clear air, no smell of anything to now smelling like a forest fire somewhere around. Googled but no news on this yet.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
11:33 AM MDT Saturday 13 June 2020
Severe thunderstorm watch in effect for:
  • City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park
Conditions are favourable for the development of dangerous thunderstorms that may be capable of producing damaging wind gusts, damaging hail and heavy rain.

Thunderstorms have already begun to develop in southern Alberta this morning. As the day progresses thunderstorms are expected to become severe from the international border to north of the Edmonton region. Thunderstorms will move northeastwards throughout the afternoon, towards the Saskatchewan border.
Very large hail can damage property, break windows, dent vehicles and cause serious injury. Very strong wind gusts can damage buildings, down trees and blow large vehicles off the road. Remember, severe thunderstorms can produce tornadoes. Lightning kills and injures Canadians every year. Remember, when thunder roars, go indoors!

Severe thunderstorm watches are issued when atmospheric conditions are favourable for the development of thunderstorms that could produce one or more of the following: large hail, damaging winds, torrential rainfall.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports using #ABStorm.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
The prairies are notoriously windy to begin with, but this year it seems to have found an extra gear. Out of all the times I've driven across the prairies on Hwy 1 in the last 3 months, have had one day where the winds were calm. Every other time they seem to be gusting to 70km/h or more. And today theres another wind warning issued by environment Canada. It's killing my fuel economy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad