2020 Weather Thread.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Tons of good videos on youtube of the Calgary storm and aftereffects. Lot of areas hard hit. People are going to be dinged with deductibles on vehicles, houses, etc and with their premiums going up. '

lol in Edmonton my house insurance went down.
Don't kid yourself though. Even though we weren't directly hit, those losses in other parts of the province/country WILL eventually have some percentage of an affect on everyone's premiums.

Reactions: nabob and Yeah15

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Don't kid yourself though. Even though we weren't directly hit, those losses in other parts of the province/country WILL eventually have some percentage of an affect on everyone's premiums.

Possibly. But I got a discount after clarifying with my insurer that I have a very good condition roof, recently reshingled, and that are stated to be more weather resistant (probably bs but anyway) and all stucco exterior. 300bucks sliced off from what I otherwise paid.

In anycase I'll buck if our rates are going up due to the oversights of others. If some other idiot builds on a cliff, floodplain or "high River" or Calgary it shouldn't be my problem they are idjits

Edmonton has far far less weather claims than Calgary. That should be reflected, regionally. If not I walk to an insurer that does factor something like that in. Or I change to increase deductible for some things that are rarities here.

But my car insurance is up. Gotta ask about that. lol, don't even know if I have hail coverage. I don't even care about the vehicle anymore..

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Possibly. But I got a discount after clarifying with my insurer that I have a very good condition roof, recently reshingled, and that are stated to be more weather resistant (probably bs but anyway) and all stucco exterior. 300bucks sliced off from what I otherwise paid.

In anycase I'll buck if our rates are going up due to the oversights of others. If some other idiot builds on a cliff, floodplain or "high River" or Calgary it shouldn't be my problem they are idjits

Edmonton has far far less weather claims than Calgary. That should be reflected, regionally. If not I walk to an insurer that does factor something like that in. Or I change to increase deductible for some things that are rarities here.

But my car insurance is up. Gotta ask about that. lol, don't even know if I have hail coverage. I don't even care about the vehicle anymore..
In the business for 30 + years, so I have an opinion.:D
Yes, Calgary and area will (continue) to have their rates/coverage/deductibles reflective of what is going on there, but the total losses incurred will also be somewhat absorbed into the entire province down the road. Just the way it works.
And new roofs, or certain types of roofs, can indeed generate some nice reductions in premium, which is why you got a discount. And all the companies factor that in.

The #1 rule in insurance. The losses of the few are absorbed and paid by the premiums of many.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Drove by a forming funnel cloud yesterday afternoon in North Dakota west of Fargo. It was right in front of me. No I did not stop to take pictures.

Pretty sure my heart rate matched the truck's rpm

Reactions: bellagiobob

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
That storm that flooded out Brandon a couple days ago, I got caught driving through the heart of that storm around 5 pm. That was one of the heaviest rainfalls I've ever seen. That cloud was bloody scary to look at when I was approaching it

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So is 2020 weather going to repeat 2019. Looks like a lot of rain for awhile.

Thought there was already one county that the farmers said they were going to lose 25% of the crop as they couldn't seed. Could be another rough harvest.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So is 2020 weather going to repeat 2019. Looks like a lot of rain for awhile.

Thought there was already one county that the farmers said they were going to lose 25% of the crop as they couldn't seed. Could be another rough harvest.
That part will suck for farmers .

Saves me from having to water my lawn so that's at least helpful to my pocket during covid

Reactions: joestevens29

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
That part will suck for farmers .

Saves me from having to water my lawn so that's at least helpful to my pocket during covid

Have you been able to find new employment? IIRC you lost your job during the early stages of the pandemic.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Fun fact comparing 2020 to 2019.

Edmonton international Airport Jan 2019-Jun 2019
159.80 mm

Edmonton international Airport Jan 2020-Jun 2020
288 mm

First half of 2020 has been quite wet.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Fun fact comparing 2020 to 2019.

Edmonton international Airport Jan 2019-Jun 2019
159.80 mm

Edmonton international Airport Jan 2020-Jun 2020
288 mm

First half of 2020 has been quite wet.
I think there was 2 days in May that rained more than all of May last year and the year before combine for something ridiculous like that

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
I think there was 2 days in May that rained more than all of May last year and the year before combine for something ridiculous like that

I remember back in 2002 when there was major concern shown towards the drought issue....fast forward years later every year since then has produced more precipitation.

293 mm total for year

288 mm for just first half of year.

Drought disaster of 2002.

Reactions: yukoner88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad