2020 Weather Thread.

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by MesstoFace11, Apr 26, 2020.

1. yukoner88 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Holy shit I was there yesterday. Tomorrow morning I'll be going around the northern shores of Lake Superior where they are having frost warning tonight :confused:

2. McFuhryous Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    ...and here in the Hat, not even two hours east of Lethy, it's cloudy with barely a lick of wind.

3. MesstoFace11 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
  4. MesstoFace11 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000

Love Medicine Hat.

Nice city.

McFuhryous likes this.
  5. MesstoFace11 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
  6. Drivesaitl Stupid dumb punter ;)

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The video "media could not be played"

7. MesstoFace11 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
  8. Drivesaitl Stupid dumb punter ;)

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Twitter feeds rarely work for me as I refuse to sign up for twitter. Usually I just get a blank page when I click on a twitter feed. Then I have to close and click 2-3 times to get something with constant messages I'm not signed up. I don't want to be signed up.

9. MesstoFace11 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Very large wall cloud near the ground between Lethbridge and Medicine Hat according to information on Twitter.

10. yukoner88 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I blame Ken Copeland

11. MesstoFace11 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000

Picture taken between Lethbridge and Medicine Hat.

5 Mins 4 Ftg and McFuhryous like this.
  12. McFuhryous Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    We've been here 6 years. Hot as all unholy f*** in the summer. Last summer I think we had maybe five days below +25 in the daytime. As posted earlier, I am kit a hot weather guy. It is a great place to live and raise a family, we love it here. That trumps the easy bake oven this place can get to be.

But I see we're in for some interesting weather starting in about an hour.

13. MesstoFace11 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Very intense storm now in the Red Deer area:

9:13 PM MDT Saturday 13 June 2020
    Severe thunderstorm warning in effect for:
    • Red Deer Co. near Penhold Innisfail and Bowden
    • Red Deer Co. near Pine Lake
    At 9:13 p.m. MDT, Environment Canada meteorologists are tracking a dangerous thunderstorm capable of producing very strong wind gusts, up to tennis ball size hail and heavy rain.

This thunderstorm cluster is located near Linden and is moving northward at 60 km/h.
    Very large hail can damage property, break windows, dent vehicles and cause serious injury. Lightning kills and injures Canadians every year. Remember, when thunder roars, go indoors!

Severe thunderstorm warnings are issued when imminent or occurring thunderstorms are likely to produce or are producing one or more of the following: large hail, damaging winds, torrential rainfall.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports using #ABStorm.

14. McFuhryous Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
  15. MesstoFace11 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
  16. MesstoFace11 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Very big storm coming into southwest Saskatchewan from Montana.

Hail as big as softball size.

17. MesstoFace11 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    10:06 PM MDT Saturday 13 June 2020
    Severe thunderstorm warning in effect for:
    • City of Red Deer
    • Lacombe Co. near Clive Alix and Mirror
    • Lacombe Co. near Lacombe Blackfalds and Bentley
    • Red Deer Co. near Elnora Lousana and Delburne
    • Red Deer Co. near Penhold Innisfail and Bowden
    • Red Deer Co. near Pine Lake
    • Red Deer Co. near Sylvan Lake and Stephansson House
    At 10:06 p.m. MDT, Environment Canada meteorologists are tracking a cluster of dangerous thunderstorms capable of producing very strong wind gusts, up to tennis ball size hail and heavy rain.

This thunderstorm cluster is located from Penhold to Three Hills and is moving northward at 50 km/h.

18. BarDownBobo Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
  19. MesstoFace11 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Red Deer storm may reach the Edmonton region.

20. Drivesaitl Stupid dumb punter ;)

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Had this discussion for decades but Calgary is such a disaster layout geography waiting to happen. The whole region is from Cochrane to High river you got tinder dry semi arid hills and valleys which is a problematic landscape when it comes to flooding as of course all water quickly runs off to low points and the Calgary region hills absorb hardly any water and theres very few trees to capture any other water. So that many of the streets in Calgary looked like raging rivers. It was insane not just due to the storm but due to where and how you build out a city. Calgary is a disaster topography, generally speaking. Combine this with the Bow and Elbow river having low banks and the rivers themselves can quite easily breach. Resorvoirs can get full quick, etc. Its easy to contaminate water supply as well.

Another comment but the storm revealed, once again, why vinyl cladding is cheap and generally not worth anything. Yet is is found as an exterior on probably 90% of newer houses. Countless houses in Calgary have had their envelope completely compromised and the hail battered basically every strip of cladding on entire neighborhoods of monoculture vinyl houses. Its like the storm was a pox on bad exterior design.

Ourselves we have THICK stucco finish, all exterior, no leaking, only a couple very small cracks after 40yrs. The people that have cladding in our neighborhood, you can see and hear some of their cladding flopping in the wind. Vinyl cladding is crap. Do your garage in that (ours is) but I sure wouldn't trust a house and contents with that cheap ass envelope. Countless home owners in Calgary better hope for a long dry spell as they pump out their basements and try to dry out and repair all their exterior walls. Hopefully they don't all decide on vinyl cladding again.

What a strange era we live in. People have granite countertops and thick natural lumber finishings, real wood floors, yet the actual exterior walls of their house is the cheapest thing imaginable.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  21. 5 Mins 4 Ftg Honey Badger don’t give a sh!t Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    None
    I blame 2020.

22. DecadeofDarkness Waiting for playoffs..

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    yeah, those treeless hills on there absorb very little water due to bad soil...they're basically concrete and water runs off them like nothing

23. Drivesaitl Stupid dumb punter ;)

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Its kind of no mans land regardless of where you are on that disaster topography. Top of the hill gets the full brunt of sheer wind events, bottoms gets the deluge. I'd take my chances living on the top and all the lawn furniture flying off to Kansas... Always better to live higher elevation than lower. except in tornado..

Anybody ever camp at the Calgary KOA next to the ski jump? Right up there on the hill, all the wind from the mountains. Don't even try putting up a tent there. you'll end up waking up in DT Calgary or floating on the bow. What a place to put a campground, lmao.

24. Drivesaitl Stupid dumb punter ;)

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I feel compelled to do this for the younger folks. If you ever have an option on a house get something other than vinyl cladding which can melt, weather, burn, or get destroyed by wind events or hail. Don't believe the installers who will lie about everything and tell you "vinyl cladding is the best and its indestructible"

Even in Calgary, lol, these lies emanate.

Tips From a Calgary Roofing Company: Why You Should Get Vinyl Siding | Calgary City Roofing

According to a Calgary Roofing Company, Vinyl Siding is Durable

When you live in Calgary, you know that your roof and siding can take a beating. When you hire a Calgary roofing company, consider the benefits of vinyl siding. Vinyl siding is durable against fading, insects, and harsh weather. The next time Calgary has a hail storm, you’ll wish your home had vinyl siding; it’s practically indestructible.

Thousands of Calgary houses yesterday had their vinyl cladding envelope extensively compromised and are speed dialing insurance trying desperately to get through. That's what they'll be doing all day and tomorrow and having a nightmare until it gets fixed and wrecked the next time.

The repair people will tell you that well now you're good, you should never have problems again, this was a freak hail storm. Except that the last time a shitload of Calgary homes were destroyed by hail was 2015, the time before that was 2009, or was it 2011. you get the point.

Vinyl cladding is complete garbage. Especially in our freak storm type climate. About the only benefit of vinyl cladding is you get to occasionally peak at what a shit job the contracter did tar papering or wrapping the exterior walls. lol that multiple pictures in Calgary are revealing construction where there was no underlay in some spots. Just plywood exterior quickly covered up by Vinyl cladding. NOTHING as a weather envelope in some left wide open unfinished spots. oh my lord. You can pretty much spot what parts of the exterior were being *finished* up on a Friday afternoon..

ps my stucco house is located 2 blks from the path of the 1987 black Friday killer tornado. It was of course unaffected. No sign of anything. countless vinyl cladding houses were damaged in the area. For years you could spot the repair job replaced panels. That storm was several hours long intense pelting rain and hail. Lots of water got in those envelopes. Every one of those houses by now had to replace some exterior walls, windows etc due to rot and molding. In several cases the whole west facing walls had to be replaced in those houses. mold.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    MesstoFace11 likes this.
  25. Drivesaitl Stupid dumb punter ;)

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Tons of good videos on youtube of the Calgary storm and aftereffects. Lot of areas hard hit. People are going to be dinged with deductibles on vehicles, houses, etc and with their premiums going up. '

lol in Edmonton my house insurance went down.