OT: 2020 Vancouver Whitecaps

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Only the third or fourth game I've watched in like the last eighteen months.

Bring back pannes.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
For a team missing half its lineup, this was actually a very good showing. This was the most organized they were in the tournament and, yes, they were mostly on the back heel, but that was fully expected (it was much more frustrating to see against San Jose, for example). They still have a hell of a time maintaining any possession or doing anything incisive with the ball – almost all offense comes from individual runs off the counterattack – but this is a lot more frustrating during the season when they have their normal lineup to draw from. There are days to express frustration with their ownership situation, but this wasn't one of them... getting this far was a pleasant surprise and taking one of the league's top teams to PKs is actually a pretty nice achievement for this group. They were surely the weakest team in the tournament on paper, and that was before losing a few more guys during it.

I'm also not going to dump on them for the quality of PKs. None of them were dribblers, Melia (who is the top PK-stopper in the league by percentage) played them well and there is always a huge luck element involved anyway (Dajome's could have been killer an inch to the left). Their two top penalty-takers were not in the lineup, and Ricketts may well have been one of the shooters as well. And yeah, it was a rookie third-string goalkeeper against the best in the league, so there's that. (Hasal had a hell of a tournament and that's really encouraging for the longer-term). I really didn't want them to push to make it to PKs since the result was a pretty foregone conclusion. But in this case I don't think it was strategy (like in the later Robbo days), they just couldn't score. Bair probably had the best chance in the later going.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Did I read somewhere that now the MLS regular season has resumed, the Caps will be playing the other MLS teams in Canada for the foreseeable future. How is that going to work?

Seems to me that MLS is just winging it as it goes along.....Don't see how they're ever going to complete the season and determine a playoff winner unless all teams go back inside the bubble.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
Did I read somewhere that now the MLS regular season has resumed, the Caps will be playing the other MLS teams in Canada for the foreseeable future. How is that going to work?

Seems to me that MLS is just winging it as it goes along.....Don't see how they're ever going to complete the season and determine a playoff winner unless all teams go back inside the bubble.

Because of the border closure with mandatory 14-day isolation it's impossible for Canadian and American teams to play each other week to week. I have no idea how they're going to complete the season, it's definitely all being made up as they go along.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
The next six games for each of the Canadian teams will be three games (1 home, 2 away or vice versa) against the other two, and this will count toward the standings.

And yes, it's all kind of flying by the seat of the league's pants right now in the hopes of squeezing something resembling a season out of it.

Nashville has already been moved to the east for this season (it's insane to me that Nashville is a "western" team in any sport, but I digress). It seems to me moving the Whitecaps to the East just for the purpose of working out the standings this year probably makes a lot of sense. When all is said and done, most of their games will have been played within that conference.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
According to various websites Alphonso Davies transfer value is in the top ten around 200 million

if Bayern decides to sell Davies what’s the Caps take on it residual wise.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
According to various websites Alphonso Davies transfer value is in the top ten around 200 million

if Bayern decides to sell Davies what’s the Caps take on it residual wise.

Is it typical for there to be some royalty type agreement in place.

I just assumed that the transfer fee negotiated with Bayern would be the only money that WCFC are entitled to.

On another note, it would be out of character for Bayern to sell a core player like davies right now. You look at their history with guys like robben, ribery, and lewandowski.

When Bayern gets these types of talents, they basically keep them forever.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Is it typical for there to be some royalty type agreement in place.

I just assumed that the transfer fee negotiated with Bayern would be the only money that WCFC are entitled to.
Yeah, there's a sell-on clause -- I don't remember the exact terms. It sounds like they get some money if Bayern wins the Champions League too.

On another note, it would be out of character for Bayern to sell a core player like davies right now. You look at their history with guys like robben, ribery, and lewandowski.

When Bayern gets these types of talents, they basically keep them forever.
Yeah, I think Bayern is over the moon with Davies' progression, and I don't think they're particularly interested in selling, although weren't there Real Madrid rumors earlier this year or something? You'd think a rich club would far prefer the player, though.

Reactions: JianYang

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Turned the game on and saw Tiebert was still playing a significant role on the team. Instantly switched channels

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Caps are 0-2 against Canadian MLS competition, or is that 0-3? Totally lost track.

It reminds me of a classic line from Harry Neale about one of those sad-sack editions of the Canucks that he manged. "We can't win at home, and we can't win on the road. My problem is I can't find anywhere else to play."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad