OT: 2020 Vancouver Whitecaps

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
The Davies news came out a month ago... is there a new angle I’m missing?

If Aquilini wanted to buy the Whitecaps I suspect he’d have done it by now. The owners have repeatedly said they don’t want to sell, but the speculation is they were waiting for all the expansion fees to come through first (possibly two more to go if the league is going up to 32 – which I think is a ridiculous amount for MLS) and then cashing out. I absolutely see this being realistic.

I definitely don’t want the Caps to leave MLS... such a slap in the face for one of the best soccer markets in North America. But I suspect about five minutes would be spent trying to find local owners before the team is sold for relocation (after another three minutes of the league pretending to protest).

Much like the NBA, they will pretend it “just couldn’t work” in Vancouver which was nonsense in both cases.

SeawaterOnIce

Being invaded again.
Aug 28, 2011
The Davies news came out a month ago... is there a new angle I’m missing?

If Aquilini wanted to buy the Whitecaps I suspect he’d have done it by now. The owners have repeatedly said they don’t want to sell, but the speculation is they were waiting for all the expansion fees to come through first (possibly two more to go if the league is going up to 32 – which I think is a ridiculous amount for MLS) and then cashing out. I absolutely see this being realistic.

I definitely don’t want the Caps to leave MLS... such a slap in the face for one of the best soccer markets in North America. But I suspect about five minutes would be spent trying to find local owners before the team is sold for relocation (after another three minutes of the league pretending to protest).

Much like the NBA, they will pretend it “just couldn’t work” in Vancouver which was nonsense in both cases.

Ultimately this franchise is a depreciating asset, despite the solid support from local fans. The "new MLS" is moving in a direction of increased expenditures to ensure competitiveness with some of the higher salaried teams. The MLS has previously advised the VWFC owners to spend but this franchise has done the exact opposite. In this league, you either need to spend to get those top tier ex-European stars or heavily invest in scouting across the globe to round out your roster. Also the reality may hurt but this city is not a desirable spot for many high caliber players due to the low Canadian dollar and higher taxes along with the lack of vibrancy and lifestyle.

The owners would be better off selling the team as an expansion slot because they will get absolutely lowballed by local groups due to the lack of material assets that come with the franchise here. Not building a soccer specific stadium in Vancouver has really hurt local soccer here.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Elvis is still dead in Memphis. Fielding a competitive team that has made the playoff multiple times, Memphis Grizzlies STILL linger near the bottom of the league in attendance. Despite giving a billionaire owner the use of a taxpayer subsidized arena, the people of Memphis aren't stupid as they made owner an ironclad agreement not to move for a number of years.

Reactions: Jyrki21

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I asked for my refund.

As much as I love football and want to watch and support the Whitecaps, I can’t do so when it’s run like shit.

Needs new ownership.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Dallas has withdrawn from the "MLS is Back" tournament given all their positive COVID tests.

FC Dallas withdrawn from MLS is Back Tournament

I don't know if that means that Vancouver, Seattle and San Jose (the rest of Group B) all advance by default or what (the games still count for the season, so that would kind of suck for Dallas if a season still happens), or if they will start re-jigging the groups. Nashville was moved to the Eastern Conference for the sake of having even numbers, so there may be some reshuffling that can be done.

Edit: Heh, so much for Nashville:

Last edited:

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I doNt understand why these leagues don’t get a private island and play the games outdoors (in the nfl/mls case and maybe nba)

control everything and don’t try to rely on a bubble. Create a physical barrier

SeawaterOnIce

Being invaded again.
Aug 28, 2011
I doNt understand why these leagues don’t get a private island and play the games outdoors (in the nfl/mls case and maybe nba)

control everything and don’t try to rely on a bubble. Create a physical barrier

This was planned way back in May. The greedy idiots were probably banking on loosened restrictions to allow some fans to attend.

Reactions: Hit the post

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
This was planned way back in May. The greedy idiots were probably banking on loosened restrictions to allow some fans to attend.
MLS is a cheaply run league. As you’ve stated, owners were likely hoping to get some revenue from fans being able to eventually attend games.

Given how the Whitecaps have been run, I have no sympathy for them missing out on any revenues.

SeawaterOnIce

Being invaded again.
Aug 28, 2011
Most clubs will probably opt not to send their best squads down there. Whatever little interest I had in watching this circus is now gone.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Elvis is still dead in Memphis. Fielding a competitive team that has made the playoff multiple times, Memphis Grizzlies STILL linger near the bottom of the league in attendance. Despite giving a billionaire owner the use of a taxpayer subsidized arena, the people of Memphis aren't stupid as they made owner an ironclad agreement not to move for a number of years.

Bryant Reeves :) sleep country.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The first COVID-cancellation of the MLS 'We're Back Tournament'. TFC had to cancel their game against D.C. United after a couple of positive tests.

Individual players have already opted out of the tournament, leaving the teams that are down there, shorthanded. What a mess.

The NHL was wise to wait until the 11th hour to decide on its neutral sites. Imagine if they'd jumped the gun and decided on Vegas a neutral site? Nevada is now 'ground zero' of the Pandemic explosion.

Must confess I've only caught a few minutes of these MLS games while channel-surfing. But they'll be lucky now to complete the tournament.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Wow you have to be kidding. I watched the first half. Well in control. I left for awhile thinking it’s over. I checked the headlines and I was so wrong. Yikes.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
That game pretty much Sums up the whitecaps in a nut shell. You get all excited about sports coming back that you fail to remember that the team still sucks.

Thank god we have hockey and baseball coming back so I can go back to fast forwarding through whitecap losses on the pvr.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Wow you have to be kidding. I watched the first half. Well in control. I left for awhile thinking it’s over. I checked the headlines and I was so wrong. Yikes.
They were never in control, a genius goal by their only decent player bar Cavellini, and being gifted two goals, and they were still getting destroyed. SJ had 70+% possession at times, corners were 19-1.

The entire squad is trash bar the aforementioned two players.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I watched the first half and stopped because I was sure the Whitecaps were going to lose. At times it looked like the two teams were out on the field so San Jose could practice corner kicks.

SeawaterOnIce

Being invaded again.
Aug 28, 2011
They were never in control, a genius goal by their only decent player bar Cavellini, and being gifted two goals, and they were still getting destroyed. SJ had 70+% possession at times, corners were 19-1.

The entire squad is trash bar the aforementioned two players.

Trash organization puts out a trash product. Nothing remotely good will come from this franchise until it is sold off or relocated.

I am willing to bet a CPL team in the city would probably gain more support.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
According to MLS soccer experts who know a lot more about the league than I do, San Jose and Vancouver were universally picked as the worst teams in their tournament group.....and that was before the Whitecaps left half their team at home.

Caught a bit of the action whilst channel-surfing, but can't really see either of these teams doing anything in the Western Conference.

Maybe I've been spoiled by watching some of the Bundesliga games and the return of the Premier League, but my gawd there was some truly awful soccer played last night. Shaping up as another long year.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Until we get Center backs that are not trash as well as some half decent Center mids, this team will always go absolutely nowhere. Losing Waston and Parker were the two stupidest moves I’ve ever seen

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Ultimately this franchise is a depreciating asset, despite the solid support from local fans. The "new MLS" is moving in a direction of increased expenditures to ensure competitiveness with some of the higher salaried teams. The MLS has previously advised the VWFC owners to spend but this franchise has done the exact opposite. In this league, you either need to spend to get those top tier ex-European stars or heavily invest in scouting across the globe to round out your roster. Also the reality may hurt but this city is not a desirable spot for many high caliber players due to the low Canadian dollar and higher taxes along with the lack of vibrancy and lifestyle.

The owners would be better off selling the team as an expansion slot because they will get absolutely lowballed by local groups due to the lack of material assets that come with the franchise here. Not building a soccer specific stadium in Vancouver has really hurt local soccer here.

Despite the increasing expenditures, I still believe that you don't have to go for the name brands like zlatan or henry to be a competitive mls team. I don't think this was ever the vision for the whitecaps, but they just look like a team of amaetuers right now, that aren't getting enough value for whatever they actually do spend.

I know they are missing some key parts right now, but you should never come out with zero points when leading by 2 goals into the 2nd half. Thats inexcusable, and as amateur as it gets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->