OT: 2020 Vancouver Whitecaps

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Despite the increasing expenditures, I still believe that you don't have to go for the name brands like zlatan or henry to be a competitive mls team. I don't think this was ever the vision for the whitecaps, but they just look like a team of amaetuers right now, that aren't getting enough value for whatever they actually do spend.

I know they are missing some key parts right now, but you should never come out with zero points when leading by 2 goals into the 2nd half. Thats inexcusable, and as amateur as it gets.

I agree. There's no need to go for fancy DP's but you need to at least ensure you have a decent starting XI and keep your projects as subs. The owners that be seem to think you can get away by having projects or players out of their depth slotting into an XI as long as you have SOME MLS caliber players. This sort of worked back in 2011-2015 when the MLS was a lesser quality league but we have seen vast improvements in the players coming up in the US soccer system.

The franchise as a whole aims for low-hanging fruit and tends to part ways with viable established MLS calibre players - Waston, Parker, Beitashour, Laba for unknowns to save a bit of cash. Whoever is scouting (ahem, MDS) is doing an utterly horrible job as their signings continue to be tragic. In-beom, Dajome, and Khmiri flat out suck. Mystifying about who and why they targeted Khmiri as he's completely unable to anticipate at the MLS level and shows no redeeming qualities.

Also have to say Yordy Reyna is overrated as hell. This squad continues to lack the guy up front that can create separation and distribute the ball. This is worse when we have a god awful midfield that's unable to maintain possession and distribute the ball forward (In-beom has talent but lacks the brains and ability to make the right decisions in tight quarters). Makes me confused as to why they brought in Cavallini as he's a finisher as there's no talent or skill to really bring him the ball unless MDS continues with the stupid-counter attack strategy.

There is no vision or plan with this squad. You have 2 really good places, few average to mediocre players and trash that should be with the CPL.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I agree. There's no need to go for fancy DP's but you need to at least ensure you have a decent starting XI and keep your projects as subs. The owners that be seem to think you can get away by having projects or players out of their depth slotting into an XI as long as you have SOME MLS caliber players. This sort of worked back in 2011-2015 when the MLS was a lesser quality league but we have seen vast improvements in the players coming up in the US soccer system.

The franchise as a whole aims for low-hanging fruit and tends to part ways with viable established MLS calibre players - Waston, Parker, Beitashour, Laba for unknowns to save a bit of cash. Whoever is scouting (ahem, MDS) is doing an utterly horrible job as their signings continue to be tragic. In-beom, Dajome, and Khmiri flat out suck. Mystifying about who and why they targeted Khmiri as he's completely unable to anticipate at the MLS level and shows no redeeming qualities.

Also have to say Yordy Reyna is overrated as hell. This squad continues to lack the guy up front that can create separation and distribute the ball. This is worse when we have a god awful midfield that's unable to maintain possession and distribute the ball forward (In-beom has talent but lacks the brains and ability to make the right decisions in tight quarters). Makes me confused as to why they brought in Cavallini as he's a finisher as there's no talent or skill to really bring him the ball unless MDS continues with the stupid-counter attack strategy.

There is no vision or plan with this squad. You have 2 really good places, few average to mediocre players and trash that should be with the CPL.

Agreed on Reyna. I remember he burst onto the scene and had an immediate impact. That probably established a certain bar that he cannot live up to. I find him really frustrating to watch.

Just look at the whitecaps 2nd goal. That was Reyna in a nutshell, even if the end result was a goal.

Reactions: pharcyde778

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Aren’t they missing their better players? Or no excuse.

Missing two key pieces up front but this is still a bottom 5 squad playing like a bottom 5 squad. Their back line was assembled without much care hence why they are leaking chances...

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I see no Godoy whom I thought would partner Cornelius in the center of defense.

Missing Andy Rose - a very versatile player and a leader. Missing Montero, Cavallini and Ricketts. Leadership and offensive depth.

Big losses but I agree that the team is still amongst the lower teams on paper.

Kuzmenkshow

Big smile, big hair, big time player
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
That was pretty incredible! As much as I was disgusted by the first two games, to come out and get the two-goal win necessary to advance without Crepeau, Cavallini, Montero, Rickets and others is quite impressive. Good for Hasal as well!

Reactions: Jyrki21

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Unexpected. Game like this makes you wish Reyna could play at this level all the time!

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Decent chance the Caps get Toronto next, too. A Houston win vs the Galaxy sets that up, as does a Galaxy win by at least three goals.

Definitely unexpected and good on Hasal holding the fort in difficult circumstances.

Chicago is a poor club, but the Caps could have folded their tents and gone home. Good character win, if anything.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Finally some good news for a change... a most unexpected way to do it, too. 60 minutes of more-of-the-same (although tactically I thought they looked a bit better), a lengthy rain delay that could have ended the game and it would have counted because 60 minutes had been played! :laugh: If you're Chicago, how much does that suck now?

Then 90 minutes later, two quick goals right as I'm (1) making lunch for my kids, and (2) watching the Kraken announcement, so I fully miss both... then tune right back in to see Chicago score, thinking how typical, etc. And then VAR finally gets it right!

The Caps came very close to surrendering like five PKs too, that was scary. In hindsight I'm also a bit surprised Chicago wasn't more up in arms about Dajome potentially being offside on his goal.

Nice showing for Thomas Hasal's first start, too.

The Whitecaps are almost certain to get stomped in the knockout round (and it might be Toronto, blech) but it's really nice that they actually get to come away with something here. This might be the last thing we see, too – the possibility of the season being cancelled for the three Canadian teams is very high (unless they're all prepared to relocate the players' families to the U.S. for a few months and pay all their room and board. Not sure how the Blue Jays are handling that). And for all expectations are as low as they can get, the team is also playing without some huge pieces, now including their starting goalkeeper. They certainly haven't looked good, but it's tough not to feel at least a bit positive for them now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad