OT: 2020 Vancouver Whitecaps

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Good thing the Whitecaps team isnt coming back here anytime soon. Im happy to pretend they no longer exist and supporting Pacific FC.

Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that my PVR automatically records games, I'm not sure I'd actually be watching anymore Whitecaps matches at this point.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Caps come from behind in the 2nd half and pull out a 2-1 win over rsl.

Baldisimo's service ability off the bench was a driving force.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
That was very flukey win. For most of the game team looked as bad as ever. After Whitecaps somehow got ahead, Salt Lake had chance after chance as the Whitecap defending fell apart.

Did, however, think Goday looked good. But so many others were just hopeless.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
It's pretty sad what's happened to this team since the first few years in the league. It's kind of a double edged sword with MLS trending higher in salaries and player quality, as the Whitecaps aren't able to keep up. Back in 2011/2012 you could get away with a shoestring budget, lots of luck and a few plucky hardworking players. Nowadays without three bona fide DP level players and at least 2/3rds of your starting 11 being of top level quality (MLS with its salary cap will always have to have a few duds in there to keep spendy tams from running away with it) you're kind of an also-ran.

That said the current standings are a big surprise as I thought it'd be LAFC, Atlanta and Miami at the top...

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It's pretty sad what's happened to this team since the first few years in the league. It's kind of a double edged sword with MLS trending higher in salaries and player quality, as the Whitecaps aren't able to keep up. Back in 2011/2012 you could get away with a shoestring budget, lots of luck and a few plucky hardworking players. Nowadays without three bona fide DP level players and at least 2/3rds of your starting 11 being of top level quality (MLS with its salary cap will always have to have a few duds in there to keep spendy tams from running away with it) you're kind of an also-ran.

That said the current standings are a big surprise as I thought it'd be LAFC, Atlanta and Miami at the top...

I'm not too familiar with the whitecaps salary structure, other than I remember going to their first ever mls game at empire, and seeing that Eric hassli was their marquee player making just over a million bucks.

These days, I guess it's cavalani or Ali adnan making the marquee money for the caps although I have no idea what their actual wages are. It would be interesting to know how much the whitecaps are spending on their top guys compared to hassli a decade ago.

But one thing is for sure, they cannot waste big money on guys who don't provide enough value back. They just don't have that margin for error in their budget. Case in point, freddy montero makes around a million bucks last I checked, and he's just not that type of impact player for the caps.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
It's happening against a reduced LAFC squad, but this is the most enjoyable Whitecaps game in a long time.

Should be 5-0, but it's 2-0 on a brace from Cavallini.

About 30 minutes to go.

Edit: hung on to a 2-1 win. Very reminiscent of the Robbo days holding on for dear life in the final 15 minutes. They were on the front foot until LAFC made a couple of subs and scored a PK goal to get in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red and lindgren

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Maybe someone who knows more about the situation can say whether this was a very depleted LA line up. Can't believe how they manhandled us the last game while tonight Whitecaps for much of the game were the superior team.

Thought Nerwinski would develop but don't think that he has. Real poor in the last part of the game and really not much all season. Goday is the team MVP.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Maybe someone who knows more about the situation can say whether this was a very depleted LA line up. Can't believe how they manhandled us the last game while tonight Whitecaps for much of the game were the superior team.

Thought Nerwinski would develop but don't think that he has. Real poor in the last part of the game and really not much all season. Goday is the team MVP.
They were missing a few key pieces, especially Carlos Vela who is undoubtedly the best player in the MLS.
Caps played extremely well tonight. Cavallini, Montero, Bikel, Dajome, Raposo, Godoy and Adnan were outstanding.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

Whitecaps making a serious push for a top level talent. Would be one of the best players in the MLS. Giovinco type impact.

Reactions: lindgren

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Porto's best midfielder, would be almost too good to be true.

Why come to MLS when he's on a team that almost annually makes the last 16 of the CL? We'd have to offer him far more than that.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Might be a too good to be true thing, especially with the reported figures we offered.

They can say they competed for him.

Would be cool to see them up the offer to 2.5MM euros and a 5MM signing bonus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad