OT: 2020 Vancouver Whitecaps

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
That jersey design is a direct ripoff of Hokusai's The Great Wave. Love the print, hate the jersey.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Last season really soured me. Hopefully this season sees steps forward but I really don't think the team can make the necessary progress until Lenarduzzi is gone. He simply isn't good enough for this level of soccer.

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
I don't know any of the signings but each of them do look promising with protential. I like MDS as a coach but hard to tell if he is a great one due to last year the team just being not good enough besides a few players.

if we don't contend for a playoff spot then fans attendance will drop even more. MDS will probably be fired. I really think though getting the german guy will be a huge signing in 5 or so years.

Caps loss a decent amount last few years even with Davis money. So I doubt we will see a semi big name come before the season. I suspect we get another cb/cdm before training camp.

as always go caps go! Such a cool experience seeing them live when they are playing good. BC place is actually a pretty famous stadium on fifa the video game. We have a good foundation to become a big dog in the MLS if MLS continues to grow. I reckon though MLS has a certain ceiling in the sporting entertainment market. Everywhere else its Soccer as the biggest sport or a close 2nd besides rugby/cricket. Here Soccer will be #5 or #6 behind Baseball, Basketball, football, hockey and maybe MMA if they continue to grow at their rate. We will see though. go caps go.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Problem was always ultimately ownership. Just like Aquaman will still be the owner of the Canucks if Benning is gone.

Tbh I don't think it is. Ownership wants to make money, they were willing to give sweetheart jobs to guys like Furlong and Lenarduzzi as long as the ledger was black. But now since the fans are demanding a winning squad (and voting with their wallet), they're bringing in more credible front office guys and splashing some cash.

Aquilini is playing out his childhood video game fantasies owning the Canucks. Not the same thing.

Reactions: Red

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Tbh I don't think it is. Ownership wants to make money, they were willing to give sweetheart jobs to guys like Furlong and Lenarduzzi as long as the ledger was black. But now since the fans are demanding a winning squad (and voting with their wallet), they're bringing in more credible front office guys and splashing some cash.
They are also feeling out of their depth, as the competitiveness (and related price tags) of MLS has ballooned since they joined. The Whitecaps are definitely a have-not in MLS, and this has of course fuelled a lot of speculation that they will eventually sell their slot to another city and plunk the Whitecaps down in CPL.

As I always say at least once a season -- Aquilini's deep pockets and win-now management style would be perfect for the Whitecaps.

Reactions: Burke's Evil Spirit

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
They are also feeling out of their depth, as the competitiveness (and related price tags) of MLS has ballooned since they joined. The Whitecaps are definitely a have-not in MLS, and this has of course fuelled a lot of speculation that they will eventually sell their slot to another city and plunk the Whitecaps down in CPL.

I don't think that's imminent. Schuster and Pannes are credible hires to build out an MLS franchise, they won't stick around for CPL. Now, if they crash and burn? Maybe. I wouldn't mind seeing the Whitecaps in the CPL tbh.

As I always say at least once a season -- Aquilini's deep pockets and win-now management style would be perfect for the Whitecaps.

Agree, but remember the Aquilini's are real estate guys at heart, they won't buy the Caps unless there's a clear avenue to owning a stadium for them.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Whitecaps 2020 kit. Assuming this will be the home jersey? Either way, I love it.
Edit: Nope, the white hoop kit is still our home jersey. Win/win IMO.
81644244_10157935135593794_1081516496489807872_o.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: garbageteam and Red

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
When your high school ex-girlfriend becomes a Hollywood star but you’re legitimately happy for her because everyone knew she was out of your league but still sometimes mentions you at Hollywood parties:

Report: Bayern Munich to offer Alphonso Davies lucrative new contract in wake of huge win over Chelsea

"In terms of maturity, physicality, and sheer talent, Davies is perhaps one of the top players young players in Europe at the moment". Quite the accolade for Davis. Also learned his nickname is Phonzie.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
"In terms of maturity, physicality, and sheer talent, Davies is perhaps one of the top players young players in Europe at the moment". Quite the accolade for Davis. Also learned his nickname is Phonzie.
There's a LOT of (deserved) hype for Davies right now.

He had another hell of a game yesterday. This time on a massive stage playing against Chelsea at their home in the Champions League knockout round.

Topping it all off was this blistering run and assist to Lewandowski.

And this great moment after the match.

He's a highest the highest rated LB in the top 5 European leagues and the Champions League this season on https://www.whoscored.com/. The most viewed player on Football Transfers, Rumours, Market Values, News and Statistics. Gary Lineker, Rio Ferdinand, Muller, Neuer, etc. all singing his praises.

It's really all pretty amazing.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
To post about actual Whitecaps, I'm genuinely excited to see what Cavallini can do. He could be one of the top strikers in the MLS this season.

Hopefully the rest of the team can support him well enough. Their midfield still looks like it lacks talent like it always does.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Gotta say, it is pretty surreal watching Davies right from the beginning of his Whitecaps career, seeing him develop and mature and now seeing him as a starting player for arguably a top 5 club in the world.

Honestly one of the main reasons I watch sports; to see amazingly talented athletes mature into superstars. Really is a sight to behold.

Reactions: Jyrki21

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
To post about actual Whitecaps, I'm genuinely excited to see what Cavallini can do. He could be one of the top strikers in the MLS this season.

Hopefully the rest of the team can support him well enough. Their midfield still looks like it lacks talent like it always does.
Honestly, he's the type of striker we've needed for a while. A complete forward that doesn't necessarily always need to be served up chances on a platter. He can create a lot on his own. He's fast. He's strong. He's a great finisher.

I agree on the midfield lacking talent, but Owusu getting his work permit will be a big boost to it. Hwang should be able to carry a lot of the offensive load from the middle in a deep lying playmaker role, with Owusu as more of a transitional box to box guy. I would like to see a genuine #10 come in soon, but perhaps Raposo can step into that role for us eventually. He looks real good either way.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
What's happening with Davies is insane. He's a legit top talent, only 19 and has one of the highest market values in the continent, only clearly below the US wunderkid Pulisic. Canada has never seen anywhere near such a player of his caliber. I hope his story continues to develop and he continues to upsell his time with the 'Caps.

Reactions: Jyrki21

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Gotta say, it is pretty surreal watching Davies right from the beginning of his Whitecaps career, seeing him develop and mature and now seeing him as a starting player for arguably a top 5 club in the world.

Honestly one of the main reasons I watch sports; to see amazingly talented athletes mature into superstars. Really is a sight to behold.
Whitecaps owners are happy to...in Davies transfer fees funding their retirement funds. They still want another diamond in the rough to fund their lifestyle currently. Maybe throw back a few loonies at the Southsider plebs to keep them happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad