2020 University Cup (Halifax, NS)

Tim Wakefield

Mar 11, 2020
I think you under sell how good the Canada West representatives are. UBC was outplayed by UofA, but UBC kept them to the perimeter, limiting their opportunities from the slot and Toth played well. UofA probably should have won, but UBC earned it and I’m honestly glad to see a different team get an opportunity. They have some really skilled players that I believe can break a game open and Toth showed he’s capable of stealing a game. I think you are right UNB wins, but there is no chance it’s by 7 goals. UofS has a deep team, they roll four lines and they play with a lot of heart. On top of having the best goaltender in U-Sports. Reading some articles after their Canada West win, it seems likely they have a really tight group and I think that goes a long way towards having success, skill isn’t everything. The draw should benefit them coming in. UNB is tough to bet against, and they look like the most talented and well rounded team, but I think Acadia will make it tough on them and for the sake of seeing a new winner this year. I predict UofS and Acadia will play in the final and to me it is a toss up, but I think UofS wins a close one 3-2 and Dave Adolph finally gets to enjoy that elusive U-Cup! You never know though. In a single game elimination format, anything could happen.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Single-elimination series are all about goaltending, special teams and puck luck. Plus throw in nerves.

UNB's powerplay has gone coldish, but their PK is strong, goaltending is solid (but new to UCup), they are pretty healthy, and they are rolling their 4 lines and 6 D. The Acadia series forced them to play in the blue paint, and they were fine.

For Acadia, like StFX in the past, Flodell has to continue to stand on his head. He stole Game 1 vs. UNB and could do it again, against anyone. The Axemen might be the most physical team at UCup, which should be a factor.

I agree that Sask. is solid, and have lots of players familiar with UCup play. Plus they have great, consistent goaltending. I expect to see them in the final.

SMU are a dark horse. I believe they are better than all three OUA teams.

UBC are still the Cinderella team. Can they repeat what got them past Alberta? UNB plays more physical and grittier than the Golden Bears, when they have to.

OUA? You are going to have to make liars of us smug AUS fans to win a game. But anything can happen - I am still haunted by that UNB-Western game in Fredericton.

Reactions: Island Husky

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
I definitely agree that Saskatchewan may have the easier path.

I don’t necessarily agree about UBC. Yes, Toth had two all-world performances against Alberta so he is obviously capable, but he also got pulled in game 2 (4 goals on 29 shots) and was good, but not great, against Saskatchewan (6 goals on 60 shots). Overall, his playoff save percentage was 0.918, which was behind Acadia’s Flodell (0.920) and UNB’s Harvey (0.946).

I expect UNB to get at least 40 shots, which should be good for 3-4 goals at the very least...I can’t see the T-Birds generating enough offense to keep up.
Agreed on all of this - I think my main point is that I'd rather face Western than UBC. If the T-Birds have a 3-5% chance of beating UNB, Western's chances would have been under 1%.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Stauffer Predictions:

SASK 3-Western 1 (Sask not offensively gifted)
SMU 5-Guelph 3 (Always take an AUS team over an OUA team!)
UNB 8-UBC 1 (UNB will attack the net, and not play perimeter like Alberta's skill guys did. Don't forget Alberta beat UBC 6-1 in Game 2...and outshot UBC 94-36 combined in the 2 losses)
Acadia 6-Ottawa 2 (see above)

SASK 3-SMU 2
UNB 5-Acadia 1

UNB 5-SASK 1 (Sask can't match UNB's offence)

UNB walks this thing!

McGill split preseason games at Acadia and SMU. The top OUA teams will give them a run for their money.

I'm predicting Ottawa over Acadia. Ottawa is veteran-laden, and their Head Coach is a veteran of three University Cups as a player (including 1 Championship). Remember that Ottawa had to travel to Guelph for the Queen's Cup - a 7 hour journey - and still outshot Guelph 51-38 in their 3OT loss. Ottawa is the best OUA team.

Reactions: AdamMcg83

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Couple questions on the rules across the country...

- Does the OUA/CW use hybrid icing?
- Do they call delay of game for a puck over the glass?

The rules for the tournament have both things being called. I don't know if CW and OUA use these rules, but I would assume they do. In any event, these are the rules.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
McGill split preseason games at Acadia and SMU. The top OUA teams will give them a run for their money.

I'm predicting Ottawa over Acadia. Ottawa is veteran-laden, and their Head Coach is a veteran of three University Cups as a player (including 1 Championship). Remember that Ottawa had to travel to Guelph for the Queen's Cup - a 7 hour journey - and still outshot Guelph 51-38 in their 3OT loss. Ottawa is the best OUA team.

I think this will be the best game of the 1/4 finals. I also think OTT is the best of the 3 OUA teams. Darren Burns is also a veteran of several University Cups, both as a player (National Champion) and a coach. I liked Patty Grandmaitre as a player and am happy to see him succeed at this level. But, I am going to support the Conference.

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
Couple questions on the rules across the country...

- Does the OUA/CW use hybrid icing?
- Do they call delay of game for a puck over the glass?

Playing Regulations

This is the link to the playing regulations for the U Sports Championships. Playing regs are contained in the pdf. Hybrid icing is outlined. When the U-Cup was hosted last in Fredericton @ UNB, the technical meeting outlined puck out of play as a penalty only if from the goaltender...was because the conferences were not consistent (I attended the meetings as a scorer/timekeeper). Not sure if that is the same now. I do see there is language in the 2019/2020 men's hockey regs under section 6.6 about certain in-game situations being eligible for video review. That seems to be new.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada

Acadia just went through a 3 game battle with the UNB, so they have been playing at a very high level, but Ottawa is a new opponent, unfamiliar territory. I think this game will be very close.

Reactions: MiamiHockey

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Wow. I thought the delay of game penalty was universal now.

Is it because too many OUA rinks have low glass?
It's possible, although I can't think of any rinks off the top of my head with absurdly low glass. I think the lowest in the league was in Waterloo, but that was remedied with a new boards system about 4 years ago.

Interestingly, the OUA addressed puck over glass in this season's regulations, but not to mandate a penalty - they just implemented a no-change rule.

Reactions: Rob

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
With the NBA shutting down and March Madness being played to empty stadiums...hopefully we can get through the weekend with fans still being permitted

Reactions: Rob

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I don't recall seeing any news of crowd control in Canada. As far as I know there have been no cases in Nova Scotia. I'll be the 1st tomorrow. Buy me a beer and I won't sneeze on you.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Tournament Update - Game 1

We are finally here.

#2 Saskatchewan(USK) vs #7 Western (UWO)

Road: Saskatchewan wins CW Championship over UBC
vs
Road: Western wins single game over Concordia after losing OUA-West series to Guelph

Record: 4th = 24-4-2 (.786) vs 24th = 11-13-4 (.393)
Offense: 8th = 3.75 g/game vs 16th = 3.36 g/game
Defense: 3rd = 2.14 g/game vs 27th = 3.93 g/game

Can Western's scrappy Cinderella story continue vs a strong and seasoned UCup contender in the Huskies?

Last edited:

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Live look at Bob Stauffer:
source.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad