2020 University Cup (Halifax, NS)

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Tournament Update - Game 1

We are finally here.

#2 Saskatchewan(USK) vs #7 Western (UWO)

Road: Saskatchewan wins CW Championship over UBC
vs
Road: Western wins single game over Concordia after losing OUA-West series to Guelph

Record: 4th = 24-4-2 (.786) vs 24th = 11-13-4 (.393)
Offense: 8th = 3.75 g/game vs 16th = 3.36 g/game
Defense: 3rd = 2.14 g/game vs 27th = 3.93 g/game

Can Western's scrappy Cinderella story continue vs a strong and seasoned UCup contender in the Huskies?
Yup!

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
That worries me as well, especially considering the quality of this webcast :( Anyone else finding it very choppy?
Yes! Garbage, glad you brought it up, that's what I came looking for. Didn't think it was my "new" computer. Watched the basketball and football with no problems, now this. I posted a comment on the site, but we'll see where it goes.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Might this be the biggest upset in University Cup history?
The 8th seed from the OUA West over the CW champs?

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Definitely at or near the top of the list This would be a close rival - I think Waterloo was the #6 seed in the OUA West that year: Alberta at Waterloo - March 14, 2013 - 1:00PM - Box Score - U SPORTS - English

Unlike that Waterloo/AB game, today's game looked even on the shot clock. How did it look for those of you who watched the choppy feed? My guess is that it wasn't pretty, which is exactly how Western has been winning in the playoffs.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Watching the game live, it was a fairly evenly played game. I don’t think Western “got lucky”...they outplayed the Huskies in the first, Saskatchewan outplayed Western in the second but it was Western scoring two goals on their few chances, the third was pretty even. I would say the shots were pretty indicative in this case.

I think Bob might have been on to something when he said Sask is not offensively gifted...the two goals they scored were ones Perressini didn’t see and had no chance on. They definitely didn’t look overly dangerous in the offensive zone and they couldn’t take advantage of their many PP’s.

sjfreddy

Feb 6, 2019
I agree...starting to think this is punishment for not going to halifax. Anyone know if they are aware of the issue?

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
If it's not cancelled we're heading down for both games on Saturday and coming back. At least we'll get to see two of the games with any lag.

EDIT: Kind of ironic, but the women's games are streaming just fine, and MacLauchlan Arena is like Fort Knox for wireless signals for visitors. You'd think the Scotiabank Centre would have better infrastructure...

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Pretty decisive win by SMU. Guelph and Western are pretty equal overall based on 6 games head to head, with I guess a slight edge to Guelph based on regular season standings and the playoff series win. But Western is not following any kind of script in the playoffs this year and have had this "nothing to lose" attitude since the first round against U of T, which makes them dangerous - and they are reasonably talented. Logic says 6-1 SMU win, but don't be surprised if Western pulls out another one goal win.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
The USports webcast was vastly superior but I have to laugh at the comments about it being another upset because of the "Rankings".

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
SMU 5-1 over Guelph
Just caught pieces of this game and I'm not surprised by the outcome. For those that don't watch AUS hockey, SMU is skilled. They have a big, mobile backend, combined with some elite skill up front.
I agree with Foyle, "they are a dark horse"!
They aren't as deep as UNB or Acadia, but if they get it going, they could win an elimination game against the best. IMO, if Brassard is on, they will be tough to beat.
He wasn't tested that much in this game, but if he faces the Red Army, he will get at least double, the shots.
IMO, this was the least offensive team that I have seen Saskatchewan bring to Nationals in the last 5 University Cups.
Maybe it was just an off game for them today? From what I saw, it didn't look like an upset.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
SMU 5-1 over Guelph
Just caught pieces of this game and I'm not surprised by the outcome. For those that don't watch AUS hockey, SMU is skilled. They have a big, mobile backend, combined with some elite skill up front.
I agree with Foyle, "they are a dark horse"!
They aren't as deep as UNB or Acadia, but if they get it going, they could win an elimination game against the best. IMO, if Brassard is on, they will be tough to beat.
He wasn't tested that much in this game, but if he faces the Red Army, he will get at least double, the shots.
IMO, this was the least offensive team that I have seen Saskatchewan bring to Nationals in the last 5 University Cups.
Maybe it was just an off game for them today? From what I saw, it didn't look like an upset.

From the bits of the SMU - Guelph game I watched, Guelph looked soft. Maybe they're a team that plays to its Olympic Ice, but they were not outskilled ... just outgrinded by SMU.

Reactions: northvanman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->