2020 University Cup (Halifax, NS)

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
Don't know how I balled that up, I tried to say the CIS site has the details, in the Fall I watched soccer and football on web stream. Soccer always was and you had to pay to see CIS, but football was new this year.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Tournament Update

So, with Canada West Semi-Finals coming to a close over the weekend, we now have two(2) more teams to add to the list with Acadia; Saskatchewan & UBC

The AUS & OUA qualifiers remain, but the number of teams left is getting smaller.

AUS - two of three; UNB, SMU and/or UdeM
OUA - three of four; Western, Guelph, Ottawa and/or Concordia

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Tournament Update

So, with end of Round 2 of the AUS Playoffs, we can add UNB to the list; Acadia; Saskatchewan, UBC & UNB.

Remaining to be decided ;
AUS - Bronze/Host team between SMU & Moncton (because Acadia is going through the front door, their 'host' status is now up-for-grabs.
OUA - three of four; Western, Guelph, Ottawa and/or Concordia

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The potential seedings are starting to come into focus. This is how I see the remaining possibilities:

UNB - #1 or #5
Sask - #1 or #2
Guelph/Ottawa - #2 or #3 and #4
Acadia - #2 or #3 or #5
UBC - #6
SMU/Moncton - #7 or #8
Western/Concordia - #7 or #8

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The potential seedings are starting to come into focus. This is how I see the remaining possibilities:

UNB - #1 or #5
Sask - #1 or #2
Guelph/Ottawa - #2 or #3 and #4
Acadia - #2 or #3 or #5
UBC - #6
SMU/Moncton - #7 or #8
Western/Concordia - #7 or #8

Can't see OTT or GUE at #2. If ACA wins over UNB, ACA will be #2 with USK at #1.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Can't see OTT or GUE at #2. If ACA wins over UNB, ACA will be #2 with USK at #1.

I agree, that is probably how it would end up. But Guelph and Ottawa are currently ranked higher than Acadia, so the question becomes, does a series win over #1 UNB move the needle enough to push the #6 Axemen ahead of either #3 Guelph or #4 Ottawa, who will have another quality victory of their own? I don’t think it’s so obvious.

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019
I agree, that is probably how it would end up. But Guelph and Ottawa are currently ranked higher than Acadia, so the question becomes, does a series win over #1 UNB move the needle enough to push the #6 Axemen ahead of either #3 Guelph or #4 Ottawa, who will have another quality victory of their own? I don’t think it’s so obvious.
Not sure what will happen, but I think if Acadia takes 2 of 3 against UNB they deserve to be #2+ going into the tournament. I believe winning the AUS should be most important and needs to be weighted above all else. It would be a bad look to have a league champion ranked outside of the top 3

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Not sure what will happen, but I think if Acadia takes 2 of 3 against UNB they deserve to be #2+ going into the tournament. I believe winning the AUS should be most important and needs to be weighted above all else. It would be a bad look to have a league champion ranked outside of the top 3

The 3 League champions are always 1-2-3. If ACA wins over UNB they will be in one of those 3 spots, most likely #2 with the Queen's Cup winner at #3 and USK #1.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Tournament Update

So, with the end of Round 3 of the OUA Playoffs, we can add Ottawa and Guelph to the list; Acadia; Saskatchewan, UBC, UNB, Ottawa & Guelph.

Remaining to be decided - two(2) ;
AUS Bronze (3rd) winner (for the 'Host' spot) - #3 SMU vs #4 UdeM (best of 3)
OUA Bronze (3rd) winner - Western visits Concordia (1-game - winner take all)

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
The 3 League champions are always 1-2-3. If ACA wins over UNB they will be in one of those 3 spots, most likely #2 with the Queen's Cup winner at #3 and USK #1.

I agree that ACD should be #2, but due to ELO, they would be 3rd. Ottawa and Guelph both have better ELO values and despite a good series vs UNB, Acadia would likely not gain enough to get ahead of either of them and would sit 3rd. I think it's moot though - UNB in two.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
This weeks ELO rankings are a surprise (as I mentioned in the playoff thread).

If this is any indication of what will occur on Sunday, the bottom 3 could be anybody's guess. Here is where the algorithm and humans would differ. I tend to believe that the CW runner-up should be a 5-6-7 spot (regardless of record) with the host or host designate at 8th. The bottom three are not in the order I would expect for Nationals, it will be interesting to see what the Seeding Committee does with the final Top 10.

5. Acadia /or/ UNB
6. Saint Mary’s
7. Western /or/ Concordia
8. UBC

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I don’t think you can place a conferences 3rd team ahead of another conferences 2nd, correct?
So UBC will have to be 5 or 6 with the two bronze medalists occupying the 7th/8th spots.

Personally, I think they should do what the other sports do and rank teams without any restrictions/whether they win a conference title or not...just based on where they think they should be ranked.

Reactions: Drummer and dm8895

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Just got my ticket package in the mail. I like the fact that all games are at the same time each day, 2pm & 7pm respectively.
If Sportsnet still had rights the weekend games would probably be at odd times.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Just got my ticket package in the mail. I like the fact that all games are at the same time each day, 2pm & 7pm respectively.
If Sportsnet still had rights the weekend games would probably be at odd times.

No doubt. Something weird about watching the most important games of the year at noon or gold medal games at 2...not to mention 10am bronze medal games.

On the subject of tickets, I was looking the other night and it appears there are still plenty of tickets available. Hopefully they draw some good crowds.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
With SFX not in the mix that takes away a lot of people both from Antigonish and also in Halifax area.
I remember SMU drawing 4,000 in the Forum, back around 2009-10 AUS finals. Hopefully those fans will come out to support the true home team, which is SMU. Acadia should have lots of Alumni in metro Halifax and of coarse very good support in the Valley (approx 1 hr drive).

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Is it safe to say that SMU vs Saskatchewan will be a first round matchup? Huskies vs Huskies!

It's hard to say at this stage. The USPORTS Top Ten on Tuesday has the bottom as
6 SMU (1586)
7 UWO (1586) or CON (1578)
8 UBC (1514)

UNB wins AUS and Seedings = Rankings and Rankings remain the same (bottom three don't move);
(1-8) UNB vs UBC, (2-7) USK vs OUA #3, (3-6) OUA #1 vs SMU and (4-5) OUA #2 vs ACD

ACD wins AUS and Seedings = Rankings and Rankings remain the same;
(1-7) USK vs OUA #3 (avoid UBC), (2-6) OUA #1 vs SMU (should be UBC, but want to avoid ACD/SMU in 3-6 matchup), (3-6) ACD vs UBC and (4-5) OUA #2 vs UNB. This is the messy scenario. The bottom is changed to UBC ,SMU,OUA #3 to avoid intra-conf games in round 1.

SMU is every so slightly higher than CON and UWO that they will likely stay in 6th which puts the OUA #3 in the seat of playing USK in both models.

I lean towards the top scenario as I strongly believe UNB wins tonight.

The Seeding committee could raise UBC to #6 because they are a Conf. Runner-up (regardless of the AUS finals), in that case, SMU does see USK in one scenario, but not both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad