2020 University Cup (Halifax, NS)

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
As we've entered the break, may as well get ready.

The 58th annual UCup Tournament will be held in Halifax at the Scotiabank Centre (formerly the Metro Centre) on March 12-15th.

This will be an interesting tournament as the host is also battling for the conference pennant & championship. If Acadia can win their way into the best-of-3 AUS Championship, a best-of-3 Bronze medal 'Host' series will be played between AUS Semi-final losers. The 'host' might be just as tough a matchup for an out-of-town visitor as any other team in the tournament - it will be interesting.

If the current standings were the end result; the tournament would look like;
AUS=Acadia & UNB
CW= Alberta & Saskatchewan
OUA=Carleton, Toronto & UQTR
Host=SMU

Seeds: ALB(1), ACD(2),CAR(3),TOR(4),UNB(5),USK(6),UQTR(7) & SMU(8)

Round 1
ALB(1) vs SMU(8) / TOR(4) vs UNB(5) & ACD(2) vs UQTR(7) / CAR(3) vs USK(6)

Still lots of hockey to be played though.

Reactions: Rob

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Does anyone know what time the games will be? Assuming the weekday evening games will start at 7pm.

The ticket website shows 2/7 for all four days, but are subject to change.

I would say it depends on TV, but is it even going to be broadcast this year? I believe the Sportsnet agreement is over.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Looks like CBC will be covering the men’s and women’s hockey/basketball/swimming. Without knowing anything outside of a few tweets, I think this move has some potential and might be a better fit than either SN or TSN.

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Looks like CBC will be covering the men’s and women’s hockey/basketball/swimming. Without knowing anything outside of a few tweets, I think this move has some potential and might be a better fit than either SN or TSN.
CBC Gem also is a top-notch streaming service. I watched Team Canada baseball on it last fall.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
So, according to Victor Findlay, no TV coverage for the University cup this year. Free live streaming only.
IMO, this is a major blow to the exposure of USports hockey. Only die hard Usport fans will bother to watch, very dissapointing to say the least!

Reactions: Prov1X and Rob

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Very disappointing about the lack of TV coverage. I’m hoping it was just a matter of not having enough time to get everything organized and we will see TV coverage in the future. IMO it will definitely give the event a more amateur feeling unfortunately.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
It personally doesn’t impact myself nor most of the posters here. However, it will mean less eyeballs on the tournament.

The only upside might be that the organizers might not have to schedule inconvenient game times to satisfy the network.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
It personally doesn’t impact myself nor most of the posters here. However, it will mean less eyeballs on the tournament.

The only upside might be that the organizers might not have to schedule inconvenient game times to satisfy the network.
Not only hockey, but Basketball and all USport championship finals also only live streamed.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

I believe the games are all at 2/7 this year, but don’t quote me on that.

I imagine not having X there this year is going to have a big impact on attendance. Hopefully SMU qualifies.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I believe the games are all at 2/7 this year, but don’t quote me on that.

I imagine not having X there this year is going to have a big impact on attendance. Hopefully SMU qualifies.

With Balmas back I would be shocked if they didn't. Even if the Huskies lose to the Axemen they will still have a chance to qualify by playing for the AUS third spot.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Very disappointing about the lack of TV coverage. I’m hoping it was just a matter of not having enough time to get everything organized and we will see TV coverage in the future. IMO it will definitely give the event a more amateur feeling unfortunately.
The contract expired at the end of last season.One would think that the next contract would be negotiated before the old one expires.

Is USports trying to get too fussy and guarantee "equal" (i.e. non-existent) coverage for women's events?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad