2020 University Cup (Halifax, NS)

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
This is funny because last night I was talking to a friend of mine in PEI and we got on to the recruits for Acadia.

I mentioned that perhaps they were gonna host in '22 but it was a secret.

And, Poof!! There it is next morning.

That's great for their program and the AUS.

Every hear anything about the financial hit Acadia took last year from having the Nationals cancelled?

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
Morning
Not sure where to put this topic for discussion
Heard from some pals at Bisons central
that Canada West has almost confirmed regional play or conferences based on regions.
Not sure this is meant to get out......;)
If USPORTS is back in Sept 2021 or at worst Jan 2022, it looks like budgets are at a critical ( real bad) stage where some schools have been questioning a leave of absence ( again).
However, it appears the solution, whether it is short term or long term is regional divisions.
With no interdivision play until playoffs.
Brings back thoughts of the original GPAC and CW conferences
But with sports like VB and BB it might be 3 conferences or divisions
BC, ALberta and Great Plains
Hockey might be just two with some poor sucker from AB being tossed into GPAC bus division.
Interesting for sure!
Now with out Lethbridge participating in hockey
the west only has 9 teams.
And Out here, Manitoba is crying wolf big time because they have to fly to play everyone except their prairie buddies in hockey and their court sport neighbours in Brandon and Westman up the Pembina.
Travels costs for flights, home and home situations, Friday am travel, frozen rosters on weekends are all back in play right now.
In fairness to Manitoba... all the BC schools have crazy travel budgets as well!
Expect CW to have a different look soon with
regional ness to be a theme!!
Would save huge amounts of cash for sure. Might be the only way a lot of sports within their institutions can survive moving forward.
I smell tiering of programs again coming into play??
Some even saying user pay? It is happening at all levels!!!
Revenue is often discussed as a key piece!!
And 38 parents and friends at a hockey games in MRU
and Manitoba has caused lots of concern!?
Just an example sorry.
But soccer teams fly everywhere and some times play games in two different places on a road swing?? Think of the cost on that??
Big time concern by admin types about that cost and no cost recovery!!
Buckle up for some different looks out here in all sports

Last edited:
Reactions: AUS Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad