2020 Roster - Options

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Gudas is slated to be a healthy scratch for the start of the playoffs based on practice lines from this week. Granted he's still better than Biega or Lashoff, but not an upgrade that's going to amount to a lot more wins. Paying a little more for Brodie or signing Andy Greene to a one year deal would make more sense.

No to Krug and Pietra, there's not enough talent yet to go all in.

well, outside of someone like Pietrangelo, I'm not sure there is a signing there for several more wins. Is Brodie better than Gudas? sure, but I'm not overly picky at this point, I guess. I'd also be interested in Brenden Dillon, if he hits the market.

for me, the goal is to just ice a respectable team. they might not be good, but they shouldn't be historically awful again, either, and I don't want to see us throwing the kids to the wolves just because we want to save a few bucks.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'd also be interested in Brenden Dillon, if he hits the market.

BRING HIM IN!

brenden-dillon-nhl-carolina-hurricanes-dallas-stars.jpg

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I maybe in the minority, and its probably because i'm a fan of his, but if Chris Tanev leaves Vancouver, I wouldnt mind throwing him a contract for the next few seasons. If he stays healthy he could be a solid addition to our defense as the younger guys step in. The only issue is him staying healthy.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I maybe in the minority, and its probably because i'm a fan of his, but if Chris Tanev leaves Vancouver, I wouldnt mind throwing him a contract for the next few seasons. If he stays healthy he could be a solid addition to our defense as the younger guys step in. The only issue is him staying healthy.

He would be way too expensive for a 3rd pair role, but if there is a guy out there who can be a great babysitter for Cholowski, I think it is him

We will have a lot of cap space to throw around, so even if he ends up being the 3rd RD in ~2 years (I'm going to assume Seider passes him in short order) , the third pair being Cholowski - Tanev is nice depth

I think it will be a luxury situation though, because we will have so many young guys with less health risk coming up behind him, probably doesn't make sense beyond 2 or 3 seasons and I doubt he signs for that short of length

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
But why Dillon? & why the Stars?

As a kid I was a big Mike Modano fan on the North Stars. He was the best Michigan player at the time, so easy to root for. Even though it was pre-internet and hockey cable packages, I tried to follow his career throughout and really got into following the Dallas Stars. It helped Ed Belfour signed there, another favorite player of mine. Used to get some Hawks games in my area so I could watch him more than most.

It helps there's been dozens of links between the two teams over the years. Hull. Hatcher. Verbeek. Modano. Many more minor players have gone between both teams.

Then Jim Nill took over the Stars. Another link.

EDIT: Almost forgot Marty Turco! He was never a Red Wing, but grew up near where I'm from and then played for the University of Michigan and the K-Wings. Watched a ton of his college hockey days and kept following him down in Dallas. Definitely a favorite player over the years.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Offer sheeting Dylan Strome at the max compensation within the 2nd rounder price parameter interests me, though not sure if he’d sign.

Can't see why he wouldn't take the guaranteed money. Could absolutely force Chicago to make a decision about him long-term. Depending on what they do with goaltending, looks like they might have to shed Saad if they want to keep everyone else and Strome.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
As a kid I was a big Mike Modano fan on the North Stars. He was the best Michigan player at the time, so easy to root for. Even though it was pre-internet and hockey cable packages, I tried to follow his career throughout and really got into following the Dallas Stars. It helped Ed Belfour signed there, another favorite player of mine. Used to get some Hawks games in my area so I could watch him more than most.

It helps there's been dozens of links between the two teams over the years. Hull. Hatcher. Verbeek. Modano. Many more minor players have gone between both teams.

EDIT: Almost forgot Marty Turco! He was never a Red Wing, but grew up near where I'm from and then played for the University of Michigan and the K-Wings. Watched a ton of his college hockey days and kept following him down in Dallas. Definitely a favorite player over the years.
Zubov, Nieuwendyk, Modano, P. Verbeek, J.Lehtinen, Daryl Sydor, Hull! (in no order) All players I pulled for. I would've loved to see Lehtinen on those Wings teams back then. At least we got The Little Ball of Hate @190lbs & Hull.

Remember Matvichuk & his 13"? wide chin guards.

Also bonus round, wait

for

It:

Brent Gilchrist, obscure strong connection to both teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bench

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Just sign Derick Brassard for 1-2yrs @$1.4M. That's a 400K Raise over 2 yrs, he might take that. He'll likely have plenty of offer increasing his still very low price upto $2-2.5+

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Just sign Derick Brassard for 1-2yrs @$1.4M. That's a 400K Raise over 2 yrs, he might take that. He'll likely have plenty of offer increasing his still very low price upto $2-2.5+

This is no different talent wise than having yet another Filppula, Nielsen in the lineup so no thanks.

Reactions: Shortstuff

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
This is no different talent wise than having yet another Filppula, Nielsen in the lineup so no thanks.
He's lost a step but way better than Nielsen at this point & 3yrs younger per Isles fans, 19-20 32 pts/66gp, -2.. Frans 60gp 9 pts., -13. AINEC.

Buyout Frans 2yrs. Demote Abby for 2yrs, then buyout 3rd. We'll have plenty of cap, even after using it us a Weapon MUAHhahahaha.

Dump Flip for a 3rd with 50% retained now.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I would've loved to see Lehtinen on those Wings teams back then.

Lehtinen remains one of the most underrated players from that generation. A 3 time Selke winner from the wing? Unreal. Actually, I think he's the only pure winger to win the award in like... 30 years? Looks like Dirk Graham won in 1991.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Lehtinen remains one of the most underrated players from that generation. A 3 time Selke winner from the wing? Unreal. Actually, I think he's the only pure winger to win the award in like... 30 years? Looks like Dirk Graham won in 1991.
Yep, every team's Top 6 needs 1 Lehtinen type, not necessarily Selke level, but solid 2-way 50pt+ consistency.

Reactions: Retire91

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Jimmy Lites is Denise Ilitch's ex-husband in terms of another big link...

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I just can't waste money on Brassard when we've already got money going to Filppula, Nielsen and Glendening.
As much as we need a 2C, I'm pretty good with just handing it to Fabbri.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I just can't waste money on Brassard when we've already got money going to Filppula, Nielsen and Glendening.
As much as we need a 2C, I'm pretty good with just handing it to Fabbri.
I would want to move Flip before Dec 1 with retention if needed, for a pick. I'm good with Fabbri too. Nielsen to GR also.

Reactions: MBH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad