2020 Roster - Options

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
Well, I figured this would be a good time to talk about our current lineup and possible options for our day to day lineup, Below is just a quick possible lineup for discussion

Left Wing Center Right Wing
Tyler Bertuzzi Dylan Larkin Anthony Mantha
Robbi Fabbri ? ?
Darren Helm Valtteri Filppula Filip Zadina
Justin Abdelkader Luke Glendening Adam Erne
Evgeny Svechnikov Joe Veleno Brendan Perlini

Givani Smith Michael Rasmussen
Christopher Ehn Chase Pearson
Dmytro Timashov Jonatan Berggren
Taro Hirose

Left Defense Right Defense
Danny Dekeyser Filip Hronek
Patrick Nemeth Gustav Lindstrom
? Madison Bowey
Joe Hicketts Alex Biega
Jared McIsaac Moritz Sieder
Gustav Berglund Kyle Wood
Albert Johansson
Dennis Cholowski

Goalie
Jonathan Bernier
?
Filip Larsson

Calvin Pickard

Possible Targets ?

After looking at this possible lineup I wouldn't mind having most of our rookies filling out roles and seeing what we have, but I feel we can pick up 2-3 free agents to help ease them in as well.

Justin Schultz RD 30 yr old defenseman that can help our top 4
Jacob Markstrom G 30 yr old goalie that would stabalize our goalie situation for atleast a couple years

Any of Tampa Bay's Centers I believe could be had if we wanted to land a significant player
Tyler Johnson 5mil over next 4 seasons
Yanni Gourde 5.16 over next 5 seasons
Alex Killorn 4.45 over next 3 seasons

Other Lower Impact players would be a couple of Toronto Wingers
Kaspari Kapanen only 23 years old and 3.2 mil over the next 2 seasons
Andreas Johnsson 3.4 mil over the next 3 seasons

Other possible goalies would be
Tristin Jarry Pit
Matt Murray Pit
Jake Allen Stl

Going for a Center or a Winger I guess depends on who we take 4th overall and if they're nhl ready or not.

Feel free to tell me what Stevie Y should do to help fill in our roster.

With all this cap and a few holes to fill, it leaves a lot of questions and options we could go.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Well, I figured this would be a good time to talk about our current lineup and possible options for our day to day lineup, Below is just a quick possible lineup for discussion

After looking at this possible lineup I wouldn't mind having most of our rookies filling out roles and seeing what we have, but I feel we can pick up 2-3 free agents to help ease them in as well.

Justin Schultz RD 30 yr old defenseman that can help our top 4

Fine, but would take the guy who already bought a house from Detroit. Skill to left side. Torey Krug.

I think Schultz is having so serious injury concerns, that he is a riskier take at this point of career. Like, the next Mike Green.

Jacob Markstrom G 30 yr old goalie that would stabalize our goalie situation for atleast a couple years

Fine with getting Markström too, but prefer Lehner.

Any of Tampa Bay's Centers I believe could be had if we wanted to land a significant player
Tyler Johnson 5mil over next 4 seasons
Yanni Gourde 5.16 over next 5 seasons
Alex Killorn 4.45 over next 3 seasons

Johnson and Gourde have full NTCs. Killorns doesn't have, but he isn't a center either. Just another winger we have dozens of. Gourde also has been a winger almost all the time at Tampa.

Going for a Center or a Winger I guess depends on who we take 4th overall and if they're nhl ready or not.

One thing they are gonna try to do (this was on some team news) is putting Fabbri to Center, on his natural position. If that works, it would put the lines together so much better.

Like totally new Top6:

XXX - Larkin - Mantha
Bertuzzi - Fabbri - Zadina
XXX - Filppula - XXX
XXX - Glendening - XXX

That would slot everybody so much better.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I'd hope that they look to fill some of those spots with cap dumps rather than go out and get UFAs. Loui Eriksson, somebody from TB, somebody's pricy defenseman.

The only upgrade-type trade that makes any sense to me is picking up someone's young-ish backup with upside.

Exactly!

TJ?-TBL or trade for Cirelli Cap Casualty pricing/timing if not. We need a 2C bad.
Boeser + 2yr.Loui-Van
Vince Dunn? Gardiner? ? ? ? ?

sign Brodie or Gustavsson short term & less than $4.7-$4.9?

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'd hope that they look to fill some of those spots with cap dumps rather than go out and get UFAs. Loui Eriksson, somebody from TB, somebody's pricy defenseman.

The only upgrade-type trade that makes any sense to me is picking up someone's young-ish backup with upside.
The OP left out Nielsen, and it's questionable if Perlini and Erne will be resigned as RFA.
The team definitely needs to pick up a goalie and one defenseman so that it's not a complete CF like this season. I don't expect a huge improvement, but we're definitely bottom 5, regardless of who we add.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Veleno-Larkin-Mantha
Bert-Fabbri-Zadina
Tymashov-Ras-Boeser*
Helm-LGD-Flip ..................Tradebait Line.

Smith-Turgeon-Svech

Tradebait/clearance/GR etc.
Hirose

Nielsen-think he gets bought out
Abby-GR

Last edited:

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
I’m gonna include all the kids cause why not

Veleno Larkin Mantha. -Have JV learn from larkin first hand on the wing.

Bertuzzi (Rossi/Perfetti) Zadina - Would be some growing pains but Rossi is a great two way guy and a monster on the dot. Plus it’d be crazy fun offfensively

Rasmussen Fabbri Filppula- Could swap any of the 3 at center tbh. good blend of size skill and experience.

LGD Nielson Helm Erne Svexhnikov Smith- take you pick at the mix and match

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Fine, but would take the guy who already bought a house from Detroit. Skill to left side. Torey Krug.

I think Schultz is having so serious injury concerns, that he is a riskier take at this point of career. Like, the next Mike Green.

Fine with getting Markström too, but prefer Lehner.

Johnson and Gourde have full NTCs. Killorns doesn't have, but he isn't a center either. Just another winger we have dozens of. Gourde also has been a winger almost all the time at Tampa.

One thing they are gonna try to do (this was on some team news) is putting Fabbri to Center, on his natural position. If that works, it would put the lines together so much better.

Like totally new Top6:

XXX - Larkin - Mantha
Bertuzzi - Fabbri - Zadina
XXX - Filppula - XXX
XXX - Glendening - XXX

That would slot everybody so much better.
Actually i’ll just go off this

1Lw Veleno
3Lw Perfetti/Raymond/Rossi 3Rw Rasmussen

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Exactly!

TJ?-TBL or trade for Cirelli Cap Casualty pricing/timing if not. We need a 2C bad.
Boeser + 2yr.Loui-Van
Vince Dunn? Gardiner? ? ? ? ?

sign Brodie or Gustavsson short term & less than $4.7-$4.9?

Cirelli isn't going anywhere. They have 2 options with him, sign him to a longterm extension, and "gamble" a bit, although it's a pretty safe bet in my books. The other option is the likely scenario of a bridge contract. Get him relatively cheap on a 2 year deal, and then pay him in 2 years assuming his career projects as to how they are hoping it is.

I'd absolutely love to add Cirelli, but he's not going anywhere. Gotta give Tampa credit with all these guys that are turning into solid NHL players.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Cirelli isn't going anywhere. They have 2 options with him, sign him to a longterm extension, and "gamble" a bit, although it's a pretty safe bet in my books. The other option is the likely scenario of a bridge contract. Get him relatively cheap on a 2 year deal, and then pay him in 2 years assuming his career projects as to how they are hoping it is.

I'd absolutely love to add Cirelli, but he's not going anywhere. Gotta give Tampa credit with all these guys that are turning into solid NHL players.
Yep, Cirelli was more wishful thinking. TBL'll be scrutinizing for sure.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Pretty simple concept fill the roster with your kids, see who sinks and swims. If you need to move a veteran out of the way to make that happen do it.

Lette Danny D go in the expansion draft. Sign a couple no risk high reward goalies give them 20 games to proves something and if they don't move on.

Leverage the throw away season to return to get a look at everyone and return to the lottery.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Pretty simple concept fill the roster with your kids, see who sinks and swims. If you need to move a veteran out of the way to make that happen do it.

Lette Danny D go in the expansion draft. Sign a couple no risk high reward goalies give them 20 games to proves something and if they don't move on.

Leverage the throw away season to return to get a look at everyone and return to the lottery.
Given his cap hit, history of injuries, and inconsistent play I doubt Seattle would see him as a valuable asset.

Unless DK has an absolutely amazing 20-21 doubt Seattle would even consider him.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Rasmussen ,Svechnikov, Hirose , Smith , Seider could easily replace some Red wings, but I am not sure what is in the plans. SY might keep them in GR and try to build great team there.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Rasmussen ,Svechnikov, Hirose , Smith , Seider could easily replace some Red wings, but I am not sure what is in the plans. SY might keep them in GR and try to build great team there.

In TB, SY liked to let the prospects simmer to age 21-23 before moving them up. I believe that means outside of Svech, Smith, and maybe Seider if he kills it in camp + preseason everyone else will return to the AHL if they have a season. If no season maybe the other prospects play overseas like Ras, Veleno, etc.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If overseas is best for Veleno & Ras etc. development, then absolutely, but if no AHL, I'd rather get a look at Ras now. Veleno by mid-later in season once we move at least 1 body. Flip? Helm? LGD?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Problem is, that makes us even worse on ice, and we all saw where that lead this year! Terrible on ice product (boring and pathetic), record bad salary cap era team and yet our prize is only 4th Overall. Next years draft doesn't sound exactly enticing, so I am fully expecting us to land the #1 pick and get our Yakupov or at best RNH level 1st overall. I am fine if we can acquire a pick and a player like Killorn who can still play or if we get a Loui Eriksson the price has to be a major pick up for us!!

Reactions: Henkka

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If overseas is best for Veleno & Ras etc. development, then absolutely, but if no AHL, I'd rather get a look at Ras now. Veleno by mid-later in season once we move at least 1 body. Flip? Helm? LGD?

How will North Americans under NHL contract play overseas? Far as I understand only European contracted players can be loaned overseas, which I think means Veleno, McIsaac and Rasmussen are out of luck! Maybe I am wrong though I don't know!

Dec 26, 2019
Kamloops B.C
Nielsen will probably be in the lineup whether we like it or not. Most likely in a bottom six roll though. I don't think we'll see that much of an upgrade on the roster at the start of next season. Maybe a player or two but I think Yzerman will just slowly add the young kids to the line up as the season unfolds. Fabbri at center isn't the answer IMO. People want it but he's not center material. Very one dimensional player and he thrives on a line with a more responsible center with him. Out of all the players the OP mentioned I'd only be interested in Kapenen or Gourde but they would both cost a decent amount in return. Kapenen would probably be cheaper with a cap dump coming back to us. Johnson might be an option as well. If Yzerman could somehow swing a trade with TB for Serg that would be pretty sick too but i doubt it would be easy. We could really use a good young LD. Seider will probably work his way into the lineup eventually. He plays a mature style of game. Our forwards are lacking and I think we pick one up at 4th. Lots of talk about Perfetti being the guy and im ok with that. He'll take a while to develop though. Patience is key, we are still far away from where we want to be.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
How will North Americans under NHL contract play overseas? Far as I understand only European contracted players can be loaned overseas, which I think means Veleno, McIsaac and Rasmussen are out of luck! Maybe I am wrong though I don't know!

So if you make a contract with European team? I'm quite sure these are just negotiable things. But we haven't seen them in the past much, because the system works with AHL almost perfectly. Now, this corona is a threat for AHL season, and I'm quite sure NHL organizations are trying to find optional extra places to play, if there's no AHL.

NHL-tulokassopimuksen solminut Matias Maccelli pelaa ensi kaudella Ilveksessä toistaiseksi voimassa olevalla lainasopimuksella

Just got some Finnish news, how Arizona-draftee and ELC-signed Mattias Maccelli stays at Ilves for next season. It's loan contract.

There's more to come.

Also KHL is having major problems, because Teams outside Russia can't cross the border thanks to corona-situation/policy. So at least Latvian-based Dynamo Riga is gonna play at Moscow area. Same for Kunlun Red Star from China.

They are also speculating, that Jokerit HElsinki from Finland would be forced to play at Russia, located at St. Petersburg. And all in Finland are hating this idea so much, that they would consider skipping the season totally.

This will be a big mess, extra players here and there. Also, they are reporting from KHL, that many organizations there still have some unpaid salaries, like for last 3 months from 2019-20 season. No wonder Kirill Kaprizov and Grigori Denisenko already signed with NHL clubs. At least in NHL, you get your money as a guarantee.

I could see KHL taking some big hits on their reputation, they could lose some teams etc. Salaries not paid, players pissed of.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mlotek
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Problem is, that makes us even worse on ice, and we all saw where that lead this year! Terrible on ice product (boring and pathetic), record bad salary cap era team and yet our prize is only 4th Overall. Next years draft doesn't sound exactly enticing, so I am fully expecting us to land the #1 pick and get our Yakupov or at best RNH level 1st overall. I am fine if we can acquire a pick and a player like Killorn who can still play or if we get a Loui Eriksson the price has to be a major pick up for us!!
Honestly, people on these forums know absolutely nothing about draft quality. Don't go off of that. I'd much rather have an Owen Power/Kent Johnson and some late firsts or seconds than some meaningless points in a season where we're virtually guaranteed to miss the playoffs anyway. Those guys would be our best prospects by a mile.

Adding competitive players will push us out of that prime rebuild real estate at the top of the lottery--and we'll have no elite players to show for it. Yeah, that's the league's fault, but we can only work with what we're given. Which means we extend the rebuild, not that we abandon it and start building up.

This team is already going to be hard to watch this year. Might as well cash in.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Given his cap hit, history of injuries, and inconsistent play I doubt Seattle would see him as a valuable asset.

Unless DK has an absolutely amazing 20-21 doubt Seattle would even consider him.

I feel the same, that was why I was thinking exposing him is such a good strategy.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

The problem is there is no way to fix this team long term in the short term. The team has no foundation and its going to take a couple of years for the draft to pack the cupboards. If you sign FA to artificially monkey with your standings and still not make the playoffs that hurts the team worse than just being the truthfully bad that you are. If you start trading picks to bring in immediate but older and expensive talent then that is exactly why the Toronto Maple Leafs failed under Burke.

The benefit playing the kids is you see what you got. We don't need 5 year development project late bloomer support role players right now. We need players that can hold their own and continue their development curve directly in the NHL. If they can't manage to develop in the NHL then they are not a player that is an essential part of the core anyway so its no loss if we need to move on from them. Once you find the core (sooner because you weeded out the ones that are not early) then you pack the roster with the UFA. A lot of people are thinking of this upside down because they are tired of losing and wanting to react even though nothing you do will stop the losing. Personally I saw going for it with a bubble team and getting destroyed in the first round as losing and if we would have rebuilt then we would likely be a playoff team now and maybe even a contender. We did the wrong thing then, let's not do the wrong thing now.

Reactions: ealong59

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Bertuzzi - Larkin - Zadina
Fabbri - Rasmussen - Mantha
Helm- Filpulla - Brome
Nielsen - Glendenning - Timashov

Dekeyser - Hronek
Nemeth - Seider
Cholowski - Lindstrom

Bernier
FA

I think this is my opening lineup if no moves are made, other than finding a 2nd goaltender, which IMO, is a necessity.

A few comments:

1) Top 6 - Larkin and Mantha are the best play drivers here. Try Mantha on a line away from Bertuzzi and Larkin and it's a much easier transition for a guy like Rasmussen. Fabbri won't get caved in as much either. Rasmussen is a much better play here than Veleno. There it is, I said it! We'll see how Zadina can handle tough matchups, but I think it's worth a shot.

2) Brome - I think he makes the team. He looks like a good middle six player to me and a replacement for Helm. Speedy winger who is a pest. More skilled than Helm, but probably not as good in terms of posession. I put his chances of making the team higher than most, by the looks of things.

3) Other Forward Notes - I don't think there is any other young F that needs to be on the roster right now. If there are surprises in camp which include, but isn't limited to, the #4 overall pick then I think Yzerman should either find a way to either bury Nielsen and/or Abdelkader or trade Fabbri. You could also start Rasmussen in the AHL and sign a UFA like Granlund or Galchenyuk. I'm not against that. You then start Rasmussen in the AHL, which wouldn't be damaging IMO, and buy time to trade Helm or Glendenning.

4) Defence - I'm honestly not sure what to do here. I think Seider is definitely on the team though and maybe our highest minute defenceman by the end of the season. I'm less cautious with him than most. I think he looks great already and is going to be a big contributor to this team in no time. You could sign a UFA for a short term contract and kick the tires on Krug and Pietrangelo, but I'm not sure that's worth it, as good as both of them are. I think you also need to consider trading Hronek if you bring in a FA defenceman With the cap pressure teams are facing right now, he should have immense value with his contract.

5) Goaltending - Somebody needs to be brought in to tandem with Bernier. There are quite a few options and acquisition cost should be relatively low for either a trade or UFA pricetag. This is where a "prove it" contract should be targeted.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The problem is there is no way to fix this team long term in the short term. The team has no foundation and its going to take a couple of years for the draft to pack the cupboards. If you sign FA to artificially monkey with your standings and still not make the playoffs that hurts the team worse than just being the truthfully bad that you are. If you start trading picks to bring in immediate but older and expensive talent then that is exactly why the Toronto Maple Leafs failed under Burke.

The benefit playing the kids is you see what you got. We don't need 5 year development project late bloomer support role players right now. We need players that can hold their own and continue their development curve directly in the NHL. If they can't manage to develop in the NHL then they are not a player that is an essential part of the core anyway so its no loss if we need to move on from them. Once you find the core (sooner because you weeded out the ones that are not early) then you pack the roster with the UFA. A lot of people are thinking of this upside down because they are tired of losing and wanting to react even though nothing you do will stop the losing. Personally I saw going for it with a bubble team and getting destroyed in the first round as losing and if we would have rebuilt then we would likely be a playoff team now and maybe even a contender. We did the wrong thing then, let's not do the wrong thing now.

Yes, but being as bad as we were last year on a consistent basis, is how you scare guys like Larkin and company from wanting to stay here. Players grow tired very quickly of losing no matter how loyal they initially are to the cause. Look at Buffalo, they keep sucking and guys are and have grown tired of the all the BS they have going on. If we are going to keep adding crappy UFAs like Frans Nielsen or Trevor Daley to our team or bringing in Loui Eriksson or James Neal types, we will indeed be crappy and being extra crappy provides no extra "luck" in drafting high. Bottoming out hoping for our Connor McDavid is not a great solution, which is why we need to bring in good to really good UFA's who are willing to come here in the interim, as there are good ones out there and not all of them will land on the absolute best teams, because the cap doesn't allow that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad