2020 Roster - Options

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I guess I don't think I'd bother with Granlund, on any term, is what I'm saying. Not super interested in feeding him 20 minutes a night to put up 40 points. And I'm not sure how well he slots into the lower lines.

And again, I say this as someone who has always been a fan of his. But his performance on the Preds has been rough.

That said, there's not many other great options available. So ehhh?

Yeah, I could do with or without him. I like his playmaking ability, and I’d take a crack at anyone I can run opposite Zadina/Mantha to help those kids as much as possible.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Problem is, he plays the same spot as those two.

Yeah, kind of nonsense because of that. Better have good skating and real Center in the middle like Haula. Good defence from center comes mostly by great skating.

"Right-handed Granlund" as a left winger would be considerable. Poor man's Panarin. But that guy doesn't exist.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Maybe we get lucky & Steve gets creative with cap casualties & acquires a decent filler (2yrs) 2C, or even better a good 2C permanent one.

On a separate note, I wonder where the next lowly Scouted/drafted countries gems will come from?

Poland? Belarus? Norway? former Yugoslav (6 countries)? Moldova? Georgia? Liechtenstein?

Last edited:

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
I guess I don't think I'd bother with Granlund, on any term, is what I'm saying. Not super interested in feeding him 20 minutes a night to put up 40 points. And I'm not sure how well he slots into the lower lines.

And again, I say this as someone who has always been a fan of his. But his performance on the Preds has been rough.

That said, there's not many other great options available. So ehhh?

The Preds had terrible forward production from their big money forwards. Josi led that team in scoring by more than 15 points. I am sure Granlund must have experienced some real unfortunate variance this year and if he was given the kind of minutes you are suggesting, I would expect 55+ points. Even on this team. Pretty much all players experience downward production blips in their career that don't represent what is to come in the years ahead. Especially for a guy of his age.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, I don't see any issues signing Krug other than maybe you have to trade him if your team gets really good? Sort of like a Brian Campbell in Chicago situation, I suppose.

I think he would be an ideal partner for Seider is a part of what intrigues me with Krug and a really solid assistant captain to help Larkin moving forward. I am still interested in him long-term and I think the number might be better with the cap situation.

There is a young Swede in the draft that reminds me of Krug a little in Emil Andrae, I am hoping he is there for us in the second round.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
We don’t think he could play LW at all? Pretty sure the guy has played every forward position over his career.

Kind of silly to just think he can play one spot, IMO.

Maybe. But he does his best at right wing, from what I understand. Depends on the term and cap it. I'd give him a spin.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Erik Haula is the best free agent forward there vs. the price you have to pay. By far. Guy has most tools and great wheels. Center, 52% long-term average at faceoffs. Speed, scoring, skating transition. What else do you need?

There are some questions about his attitude in terms of why he has bounced around. Remember hearing his teammates in Minny used to call him Haula-Famer behind his back because of how awesome he apparently thinks he is. Now that isn't to say he might not have grown a little, we all can, but he has bounced through four teams and while you can see a player you like often, he might think he is a bit more than he is at times.

We could use him, on our team he can get his minutes and run to be the kind of player he thinks he is maybe. But given what we have heard about Yzerman, I am not sure this is going to be his cup of tea.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
There are some questions about his attitude in terms of why he has bounced around. Remember hearing his teammates in Minny used to call him Haula-Famer behind his back because of how awesome he apparently thinks he is. Now that isn't to say he might not have grown a little, we all can, but he has bounced through four teams and while you can see a player you like often, he might think he is a bit more than he is at times.

We could use him, on our team he can get his minutes and run to be the kind of player he thinks he is maybe. But given what we have heard about Yzerman, I am not sure this is going to be his cup of tea.

That is an interesting tidbit I had never heard about Haula. Funny name also!

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Gudas is about to be a healthy scratch for the Caps.... he's below Jensen on the depth chart. the last thing we need is another crappy borderline AHL Dman. Sticking Cholo with him will be a disaster.
Not necesarially.

Cholo is an offense first D, he needs to be paired with a stay at home D.

Keep in mind D also takes longer to develop than forwards.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Erik Haula is an interesting name if he is open to a short term deal. I think he is the kind of guy that could help in the locker room and take some pressure off the development needs of the team without swinging for the fences on UFA.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Not necesarially.

Cholo is an offense first D, he needs to be paired with a stay at home D.

Keep in mind D also takes longer to develop than forwards.
Let me rephrase that, Gudas sucks.

Even if Cholo deserved NHL time, which I don't believe, he needs a better partner that can bail him out. Putting Cholo with a borderline third pair D like Gudas will just make it even tougher on his decision making process.... which is his biggest weakness to begin with.

Cholo has one more year of waiver exemption, he should be in GR for the season if they play. Call him up when Nemeth gets traded at the deadline. Quite frankly, I think he's just too soft for the NHL, and won't be anything more than an AHL tweener or 7D.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Let me rephrase that, Gudas sucks.

Even if Cholo deserved NHL time, which I don't believe, he needs a better partner that can bail him out. Putting Cholo with a borderline third pair D like Gudas will just make it even tougher on his decision making process.... which is his biggest weakness to begin with.

Cholo has one more year of waiver exemption, he should be in GR for the season if they play. Call him up when Nemeth gets traded at the deadline. Quite frankly, I think he's just too soft for the NHL, and won't be anything more than an AHL tweener or 7D.

I think you're being a bit hard on Gudas, but even if you want to say he sucks, he's still better than a lot of the other options we have there. I don't know if I'd want him trying to anchor a pair with Cholo, but if we're looking for a guy to come in and eat minutes for a couple of years, there are a lot worse options out there.

It seems a bunch of folks don't want us to go after a guy like Krug or even Pietrangelo. A bunch of others don't want someone like Gudas. I don't want us running Alex Biega out there next year. Or Brian Lashoff. But if the Wings approach free agency with this same idea that no one fits for whatever reasons, that's what we're looking at.

Reactions: PullHard

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Derick Brassard @$1.4 (he only made $1.2M in '19-20)

Brodie 2-3yr. @$4.5-$4.9 per

UFA goalie, $ & term vary per. Don't wanna spend much, but if Lehner would sign, maybe $6*5M, though he may get better term & $ ?

Talbot? Khudobin? Among others. Wish we could sign Raanta cheap, but not spending any real assets to get something we can get for Cap.

Last edited:

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I'd re-sign him.

EDIT: He will probably sign less than 2 million, and can be sent down to Grand Rapids if need be. When he's up, he can play the 4th line ok, and be a right hand set-up guy on the PP.

He is also nearly 32% in shootouts over his career

I would be fine re-signing him to a 1 or 2 year deal because as you said, good veteran guy who would probably pass through waivers and has that right shot + works well on the PP, but that comes after we make a lot of room

Let Perlini, Erne, maybe Ehn walk and buyout Nielsen

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think you're being a bit hard on Gudas, but even if you want to say he sucks, he's still better than a lot of the other options we have there. I don't know if I'd want him trying to anchor a pair with Cholo, but if we're looking for a guy to come in and eat minutes for a couple of years, there are a lot worse options out there.

It seems a bunch of folks don't want us to go after a guy like Krug or even Pietrangelo. A bunch of others don't want someone like Gudas. I don't want us running Alex Biega out there next year. Or Brian Lashoff. But if the Wings approach free agency with this same idea that no one fits for whatever reasons, that's what we're looking at.
Gudas is slated to be a healthy scratch for the start of the playoffs based on practice lines from this week. Granted he's still better than Biega or Lashoff, but not an upgrade that's going to amount to a lot more wins. Paying a little more for Brodie or signing Andy Greene to a one year deal would make more sense.

No to Krug and Pietra, there's not enough talent yet to go all in.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Gudas is slated to be a healthy scratch for the start of the playoffs based on practice lines from this week. Granted he's still better than Biega or Lashoff, but not an upgrade that's going to amount to a lot more wins. Paying a little more for Brodie or signing Andy Greene to a one year deal would make more sense.

No to Krug and Pietra, there's not enough talent yet to go all in.

Gudas does one thing very good in the NHL. When he's in his zone, sometimes in the neutral zone, he makes the opposing keep their head up. If not, it gets knocked off.

That kinda threat helps the team.

That would be what I call a weapon. Even if he's suspended a lot.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Krug is 29. I doubt a 6 year deal would be a disaster. He’s going to eat on the power play and put up points, at least.
I don't know where we're going with our stimulus economy. Sooner or later we going to have hyperinflation. FED doesn't care. It's good time to sign long contracts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad