Boston Bruins 2020 PLAYOFFS - THE BEAR invades the Toronto bubble

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
I think the bruins need to treat this as a must win. Not because of wanting to play a particular team in the first round. But they need to get into the playoff mode because whoever they play will already will be in that mode.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I think the bruins need to treat this as a must win. Not because of wanting to play a particular team in the first round. But they need to get into the playoff mode because whoever they play will already will be in that mode.

I think getting a win would be good for their psyche. I think it would be tough psychologically going into the 1st round without having won a game in the bubble. They need to gain some confidence.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Whoever gets the Canes gets only 1 day of rest. It's really important that even if we lose we lose like a team. 1 day to fix stuff is not enough.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Watching the Leafs-Blue Jackets game. The anthems just finished, and even the fake crowd couldn't resist starting to cheer well before the anthem singer was finished. No class.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Man I love this Columbus team. Look out tbay they are coming for you again . The blue jackets are all heart and very well coached . They got almost every injured player back except the giant . I expect a great series and it wouldnt surprise me if they squeak another upset out.

Reactions: nORRis8

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Prelim schedule - the 3 am times probably are TBDs because there are (if necessary) games.

Very happy that we're getting a "normal" schedule with mostly nighttime games - both for our viewing pleasure and for the players. Hockey's weird enough as it is without 4 pm games.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
:sarcasm:
ZSvdkhH.gif

Reactions: BMC

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
IF the Bruins knock off the Canes and barring miracle comebacks by CBJ and the Caps, It will be a showdown between Tampa and the Bruins in the next round.

Wondering if anyone is going to cheer for the Habs to avoid Tampa in order to get the Islanders?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
IF the Bruins knock off the Canes and barring miracle comebacks by CBJ and the Caps, It will be a showdown between Tampa and the Bruins in the next round.

Wondering if anyone is going to cheer for the Habs to avoid Tampa in order to get the Islanders?
Of course. I've been cheering for Montreal this entire time due to match-ups. I wanted/want no part of Pittsburgh or Tampa.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Tampa's obviously not ideal but to be the best you have to beat the best so I say bring it on. I've never quite understood the interest some fans have in hoping the team gets the easy road to the finals. Sure it can be useful. But I want to see the Bs measured and proven against the best opposition. Tampa's the best in the east, and have been thereabouts for a few years now. I want to see the Bruins take them on again, and try to achieve a different result to 2018. No question they'd be the underdogs, and no doubt the Lightning will probably do things in the series that will frustrate me no end, but I think we'll get no better test of where our team is at, just how much grit, hunger and talent they have, and how well they are led, than to play and just maybe beat the Bolts.

So if it ends up being the Islanders or whoever else that we play then great, but if it is indeed Tampa then I'm fine with that too.

Reactions: BMC and Ritmo

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston

very much rooting for Montreal

but it’s funny with the way the caps and pens have looked in the postseason IF coronavirus never happened it seems like Philadelphia would have come out of the Metro playoff bracket....and those bum leafs Would have got smoked by Tampa in round 1...so our road would have been

round 1 Carolina/CBJ/NYI
Round 2 Tampa
Round 3 Philly

And as of now it looks likely we will have the exact same road in the bubble playoffs if we wanna get to the finals

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Tampa's obviously not ideal but to be the best you have to beat the best so I say bring it on. I've never quite understood the interest some fans have in hoping the team gets the easy road to the finals. Sure it can be useful. But I want to see the Bs measured and proven against the best opposition. Tampa's the best in the east, and have been thereabouts for a few years now. I want to see the Bruins take them on again, and try to achieve a different result to 2018. No question they'd be the underdogs, and no doubt the Lightning will probably do things in the series that will frustrate me no end, but I think we'll get no better test of where our team is at, just how much grit, hunger and talent they have, and how well they are led, than to play and just maybe beat the Bolts.

So if it ends up being the Islanders or whoever else that we play then great, but if it is indeed Tampa then I'm fine with that too.

How does that add up? The Bruins were #1 through 70 games this season, and we were the conference champs last season.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
To be fair, you wanted no part of the Canes either :laugh: and voted that the Bruins would lose in round 1 before even knowing who they would play.
Still better than Pittsburgh. I would have had the Bruins as the favorite over the Islanders if they played them.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Agree, all the hand-wringing over TB :dunno: They are a good team for sure, but not better than the Bruins.

They'll be a tough match-up for sure. I'd feel better with Rask than with Halak, tbh. Hopefully Jaro rises to the occasion and gets into his groove with more playing time.

Reactions: Dr Hook

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sounds like things are in a good place for Rask - get him back ASAP

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
How does that add up? The Bruins were #1 through 70 games this season, and we were the conference champs last season.

I'm talking a little more long term, looking at the last 5 years. In that time Tampa have 2 Presidents' Trophies, have finished 2nd in their division twice, and reached the ECFs twice. Boston's got 1 Presidents' Trophy, two 2nds and a 3rd in division, and has made the SCFs once and the 2nd round once. The one time in that period the two teams clashed, the Bruins of course lost in 5, and our regular season record against them is not favorable. So purely in terms of results the two are pretty close, and while Boston's gone closer to a Cup on one occasion, Tampa's been a little more consistent.

On top of that Tampa's roster has been stronger and deeper in that period, and is widely regarded as having been the best in the league in the last couple of years. That they've wasted it thus far, and that Boston has done as much if not more with less, is a credit to the Bs, but I still see Tampa as the current benchmark for the east, with the Bruins just behind. If we want to change that order, then we need to beat them in a playoff series. No time like the present - I'm not afraid of Boston facing them. I want to see it. That way the question of best in the east can be settled one-on-one on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad